E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #21
xlash

My Ride: '05 325i MT
Can someone explain what that tiny silver dot between the interior light intensity control and the headlight dial is meant for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack;9292480
[IMG
http://i43.tinypic.com/9qfof4.jpg[/IMG]
xlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
Can someone explain what that tiny silver dot between the interior light intensity control and the headlight dial is meant for?
Its a light sensor. Put your finger over it in the daytime and you'll notice that your dash lights get dimmer.

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #23
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I want rear fog lights
franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
tehsex

My Ride: 330i zsp...
Quote:
Audis have 2, BMW has 1 rear fog on the drivers side by design, as you well know now. =]
actually audis come w/ just one on the driver side too, they come w/ a slot on the onther side and a lot of people put a bulb in there to make it even, i did that to mine...

i did that b/c all the assbag truck driver who have their trucks jacked up who tailgated me drove me insane so i just flipped those on and we were even!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
rishisen

My Ride: 316
um well heres a write up, for the dual fogs , works for cars that already have it wired in on one side

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5706
rishisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #26
rick chi-town

My Ride: '02 330Cic & '08 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
I hate rear fog lights. All it does is to cause glare and anoy other drivers.
Actually rear fog lights when used as intended are an incredible safety feature allowing other drivers to see you well in advance of your standard rear tails in inclement weather conditions...
Where we run into problems in the states are fat, dumb, happy American's who roll around with them on all day and night in otherwise clear conditions.
My guess is that BMW knows this and makes them unavailable. again, just a guess...
rick chi-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #27
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Quote:
+1
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Chien

My Ride: is my addiction
Send a message via AIM to Chien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack View Post
Audis have 2, BMW has 1 rear fog on the drivers side by design, as you well know now. =]

If you want the OEM switch, and the discrete cluster illumination, you need to get a euro faceplate. Faceplate only. If you have a Sedan, and are in the US, you are SOL (BMWNA sucks) on activating the rear fog if you have adaptive brake lights.

Jason at Tischer (getbmwparts.com) set me up with my new LCM, I did the OEM LED retrofit so I bought the whole assembly. You can, just buy the faceplate though.

You also need a sedan bulb carrier, it has two light sockets. Left for side for LHD, right side like original poster for RHD, or you can dremmel out your coupe one. Carrier was <$15 bucks so I didnt bother to f with the dremmel.

Oh, and depending on the year, you may have to run a wire from your deck lid to pin 49 on your LCM (for coupes).

LCM assembly 61-31-9-133-021 (part is superseded and you only need the faceplate)
Bulb carrier 63 21 7 165 743

I have xenons
Saw this and thought about getting it to control angle eyes or something else until I found out it cost $300.

might still do it later for a cleaner look
Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
gfunkymonkey

My Ride: Techno Violet M3
Send a message via AIM to gfunkymonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_sangha View Post
Your car will only have one. BMW use this to identify on what side to overtake the car. With you being in London,thats why it is on the right hand side. There are only a few exception car manufactures who put in two.
Its also for parking - to allow more visibility in tighter streets when parked on the side (for example by a cafe - in europe / rest of the world). its always on the driver side (altho some older benz's you could change it - if you're baller and driving around europe to different countries that drive on different sides of the road).

another exception to having just one is audi (they have both) - I saw some dumb b*tch driving with both on the other day (emphasis on DAY) d'oh!
Old 07-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #30
tincup33

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
Quote:
+1 They are as dumb as Euro license plates in the US. If you want Euro, MOVE THERE.
tincup33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #31
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
I also only had one rear fog-light on my 2005 Renault Symbol.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #32
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
i recall reading about how in the US only 2 fog-lights are allowed. On our 03' E320 when i turn on both the front and rear fog-lights, 4 bulbs light up but the front and rear driver side ones are brighter compared to the passenger side one.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #33
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
gfunky, it's not for parking, we actually have that here, lights up front and rear on one side, RTM.

I so want rear foglights. I didn't think sedans have "adaptive brake lights", which ones have that?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #34
mkodama

GoingNuts, did you think that every other car on the road that used it's rear foglights also had a burnt out left bulb?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
hoss

My Ride: 330 Xi
Quote:
Lol, oh and you forgot 'has a massive improvement on road safety, by avoiding rear end collisions in the fog'
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #36
petro

My Ride: '14 328i, '99 328iA
This is exactly what I needed to know! I just got my E46 two weeks ago and was concerned that the left side was out as my E30 has left and right rear fog lights...

Useful in the fog, and also to disturb tailgaters. On the E30 they were right next to the brake lights but were much brighter, so it was fun to quickly turn them on and off so the person behind would slow down and stop following too close as they thought they were brake lights.
petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #37
hamrt

My Ride: 2000 323i
Right-hand drive cars have rear fog light on the right, left-hand drive on the left. There is only one so they will not be mistaken for brake lights.
hamrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #38
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
i was driving home from las vegas a few years ago and there was HEAVY fog...the cars around us just kinda packed together and everyone just turned on their hazzards...
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #39
e4Tsex

My Ride: '00 328i ZSP w/ 194k
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneka View Post
i was driving home from las vegas a few years ago and there was HEAVY fog...the cars around us just kinda packed together and everyone just turned on their hazzards...

dr-z400s / cannondale caad 5
'91 BMW 318is -> '95 BMW 318ti -> '00 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330msport View Post
i heard that this cars go like 300k miles
e4Tsex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #40
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I think the original European idea of OEM rear fog is to have ONE REAR FOG LAMP not two. That is simply what you have there or some lazy SOB never finished the complete rear fog DIY. The DIY Rear Fog Light modification that we have here in the USA usually incorporates putting in two rear fog lamp brackets so you get both rear fogs going for the effect.
this