E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
m3racer007

My Ride: e46 m3
e46 lower radiator hose replacement... Help please

Ive been trying to find a diy on this but haven't found one... I need to replace my lower radiator hose.

As I was driving home today my Lower radiator hose came off, my coolant level low light came on and I pulled into a restaurant parking lot...Drained all my coolant.

I know it is very hard for these things to come off but I noticed a while ago that it was already loose, so i was just asking for this to happen :face palm:

- Am I going to be able to do this in a parking lot with some tools?

- How hard exactly is this and is there a Diy out there?

Thanks in advance for any help
m3racer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
m3racer007

please help... I'm almost begging lol
Old 12-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
You can probably get at it from the bottom. The hose has these metal clips that you take off and then just pull the hose off.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #4

My Ride: 2006 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3racer007 View Post
Ive been trying to find a diy on this but haven't found one... I need to replace my lower radiator hose.

As I was driving home today my Lower radiator hose came off, my coolant level low light came on and I pulled into a restaurant parking lot...Drained all my coolant.

I know it is very hard for these things to come off but I noticed a while ago that it was already loose, so i was just asking for this to happen :face palm:

- Am I going to be able to do this in a parking lot with some tools?

- How hard exactly is this and is there a Diy out there?

Thanks in advance for any help
this thread might help..
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=225208

remember, replace both hoses at the same time. they'll wear out from the inside out...

also, http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&hg=11&fg=35

hose 1 and 3 should replace.. good luck
68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
m3racer007

Thanks for you help guys! Seems like I'm going to be able to do this... I have a 325i tho so I hope it doesn't differ too much.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 AM   #6
Demon Eyes Kyo

My Ride: 2001 330i
Just did a full cooling system repair on my 330i and i would recommend to remove the fan to give you more room to remove the lower radiator hose as there is also a sensor to remove and clips to pry off. On my automatic, the fan shroud was blocking access to the lower hose.

My lower hose was never changed till a few days ago and was stuck on super tight. Here's an easy trick to remove the lower rad hose without using extreme brute force. After removing the fan - just grab and squeeze the hose near the end you want to remove and give it a little yank and it should just come right off - easy!

Not sure if 5-speeds are the same as an Automatic, but make sure you change the Radiator/Auxiliary Fan Switch in the Lower Radiator Hose, or you'll get a leak when you reattach the sensor. Peace of mind for $17 for new sensor or just buy a new green gasket for $1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4432-Lower Rad hose.jpg
Views:	2786
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	429793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4457-Lower Rad Hose.jpg
Views:	1728
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	429794  
Old 12-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
m3racer007

thank you guys zoo much... this definitely gave me more confidence... Removing the fan was easy for me and the concept is pretty simple. in my case, the clips were broken... I replaced the hose and the new sensor. I definitely agree with that o ring !
Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes Kyo View Post
Not sure if 5-speeds are the same as an Automatic, but make sure you change the Radiator/Auxiliary Fan Switch in the Lower Radiator Hose, or you'll get a leak when you reattach the sensor. Peace of mind for $17 for new sensor or just buy a new green gasket for $1.
Do you have a part number for the $1 gasket/o-ring? Mine is leaking, thank goodness I spotted it before putting the car completely back together...

Thanks in advance!!

PS: I'll search, but what is the total capacity for the cooling system?

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
~2 gal if you drain the engine block and expansion tank. So 1 gal BMW antifreeze and 1 gal distilled water.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
Imola.ZHP

^ sweet, I only bought one gal, thanks!

Found, via google, that o-ring others talked about, but was unable to find it at Lowes, Home Depot, Auto Zone or O'reilly's. I did, however find a few others that I will try, hopefully one out of many will work or else I'll be buying that new sensor just for the o-ring *rolls eyes.*

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
Demon Eyes Kyo

My Ride: 2001 330i
It's better to use automotive O-rings as they are rated for higher temps than the generic O-rings at Lowe's / Home Depot for general plumbing use.

The Lower Radiator Hose Aux Fan Temp Sensor o-ring is BMW p/n 13621743299

It's the same O-ring used for the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor located in the intake manifold.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...=W0133-1910235,

Autohausaz sells it for $1.27 USD

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...79&hg=11&fg=40

RealOEM refers to the O-ring as #4
Old 12-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #12
Imola.ZHP

Too late, the o-ring I bought didn't work and I ended up buying a new sensor for $25, thanks though!

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
pic27

My Ride: BMW 2002 325i
I just did a mini cooling system refresh (water pump, thermostat, hoses) Sure enough, my brand new OEM lower radiator hose is leaking from where the temperature sensor is. I am going to the dealer to order the O Ring that Demon Eyes Kyo found the part number for : 13621743299. It will make me very happy if this solves it.
pic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
And for those of you with automatics, like me, when you decide to change out your radiator fan, instead of replacing it with the same thing, convert to an electric fan. Bolts straight up and you might even gain a horsepower.
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
pic27

My Ride: BMW 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pic27 View Post
I just did a mini cooling system refresh (water pump, thermostat, hoses) Sure enough, my brand new OEM lower radiator hose is leaking from where the temperature sensor is. I am going to the dealer to order the O Ring that Demon Eyes Kyo found the part number for : 13621743299. It will make me very happy if this solves it.
Sure enough, 99 cents later, my lower radiator hose is leak free. I was so happy about this because I had nearly re-installed everything when I discovered this leak. If you have the same problem after replacing the lower radiator hose, remember to give this a shot first. Part # 13621743299 is the little O Ring that goes to the temperature sensor.
pic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
x5homework

My Ride: x5
lower radiator hose

i have a similar question re my x5.
yesterday i heard a chime and the reading was check coolant level
i looked and saw the temperature getting in the red
i pulled off the road and stressed out. cell batt was low and charger mia
i quick viewed a youtube re adding coolant. used bottled water. waited for the console reading to get at least to the middle.
drove home watching to make sure the temp didn't climb
this a.m. there was water i am guessing all over garage floor.

i just paid dealer 400 plus for the battery replacement a month ago today. really want to avoid the dealer if possible. it's an hour away and soooo $$$$. everywhere i read says this is a doable job. but i haven't ever done any work from under the car. i wonder if i can use use the spare tire jack. i have never changed a flat tire. i have removed the spare just to get to the batter to see if it had the wrong color circle displayed. the actual battery bolts looked like they may have been situated to required a special wrench to remove and replace. so i paid the additional $100 to the dealer to have them swap out the battery.

i have changed the spark plugs in the mitsubishi spyder. i have added brake fluid via youtube help. i have added coolant and oil. i have changed the mass airflow sensor which was right on top. and i have jump started the thing. give me your best guess. can i do this? what tools do i need? any links to videos would help also.
x5homework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
OMG, do not get under your car supported only by the spare tire jack. Get these http://www.harborfreight.com/magnum-...ock-67722.html at the very least.

For the money you will save in labor, you can get a good floor jack http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...9227-8781.html and jack stands http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-h...nds-38846.html.

As far as getting the correct parts, use www.realoem.com for part numbers. You can take the part number to your dealer to get the correct part, or order from many of our sponsers, or www.bmwpartstore.com. Good luck.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #18
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5homework View Post
can i do this? what tools do i need? any links to videos would help also.
Can you do what exactly? And why are you in the E46 forum?

My guess is no, you can't do it. Adding fluids is not the same difficulty level as replacing cooling system components, which I assume is the nature of your problem.

If I were you I would quit while I was ahead and get a professional to handle it. If the temp gauge went into the red you might have crossed the line into big money repair territory.
hitbyastick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #19
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
My guess is no, you can't do it. Adding fluids is not the same difficulty level as replacing cooling system components, which I assume is the nature of your problem.

If I were you I would quit while I was ahead and get a professional to handle it. If the temp gauge went into the red you might have crossed the line into big money repair territory.
If his X5 has an M54 engine, or something close to it, he's come to the right place. Don't smash him for reaching out to us. Only he can decide whether he's capable of DIY on his vehicle. Our responsibility is to ensure that he doesn't put his life in danger in the process.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #20
x5homework

My Ride: x5
hi guys, thanks for your quick reply. i called the dealer before they closed and got clarification on the parts numbers. i ordered the lower radiator hose and the coolant from oembimmerparts.com for 60 plus change including shipping and no tax. i got the autohausaz folks sending the two 50 cent o rings. i'll just keep one handy so i don't have to pay another shipping fee later. i will probably have to see what i can borrow from a neighbor jack wise. i am guessing freight on a jackstand won't be pretty. i have just one vehicle. but worse case scenario i could rent something from enterprise for 30 or 40 bucks and go get the jack at harbor freight myself. i do need and appreciate your input greatly. i have looked on the x5 bimmerfest forum. but the first guy on this thread sounded more close to the situation currently. it seems like the m54 is in more than one vehicle. whichever the case. i am gleaning the most possible data. i will wait for parts and any other great input you can afford me. thanks for taking the time to send replies. i am hopeful not to have incurred great damage as the vehicle made it home with no further incident or strange activity. the dealer is about an hour away. i won't risk the damage trying to get there. i may however, put it in neutral and coast the parts downhill to a halfway decent local. but hopefully someone send me the detailed breakdown of tools required. then i can say if getting the jack and giving it go is realistic. i am hoping a literate person with two hands can accomplish the task. i am sure to have more of this needed down the road. much thanks. just clicked harbor freight links TY TY TY idk for sure but it's giving me standard rate 7 bucks recalculated with the jack in the cart. i really would appreciate anyone's best guestimate on a tool list required.

Last edited by x5homework; 11-17-2013 at 01:47 AM. Reason: add data
x5homework is offline   Reply With Quote