E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
Is my DISA valve bad?

Took it out to inspect it today. I noticed the red RTV sealant where the o-ring normally goes, it wasn't damaged, but it was completley flush with the surrounding plastic, it didn't poke out at all like a 'new' gasket would. Could this cause a leak or loss or performance?
How do the 'repair' kits fare? Could one possibly help me?

The flap moved around freely with no resistance. I did a little research, and when I covered the hole on my valve, the flap still moved freely. What does this mean? It also seems to be a bit noisy when the engine is running, but nothing I can hear without the hood up...
Should I purchase a DISA repair kit?

Also noticed, when I have the crank case open (oil filler cap), and I put my hand over it, I felt a suction downwards into the crankcase. Same thing with the dipstick oil tube.
Is my CCV dead? Should I replace it? I just replaced my valve cover gasket, so I don't think the problem is there.

Thank you

Last edited by Kye7; 11-05-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Yes, your DISA is shot. The G.A.S. repair kit works well and is a great alternative to buying a whole new unit. It also comes with a new o-ring: http://germanautosolutions.com/product.php?product=115.

Hereís their DIY that includes some good information, as well: http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_t...sa_kit_diy.php.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you're aware of the potential issues with the rear metal pin on a high-mileage/worn DISA. See this thread for more information (bold text about a third of the way down): http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616.

Regarding the CCV, climate and driving conditions factor in, but well worth looking into if itís older than 8+ years or so. OE Genuine BMW parts should run you around $115 for everything, and can be done in an afternoon. Not a difficult DIY, just one that requires patience.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Kye7

I will look at that kit, thank you.
What are the advantages of the GAS kit over the $45 ones I see on ebay? I only see that the long metal pin is included in the GAS kit, as well as the o-ring.
$80 seems a bit much to pay for some pins and plastic. Perhaps I am missing the importance of this?

Also, I am aware that another issue may be present in my DISA valve. The vacuum part of it, that works with the "pusher" arm.
I will have to remove my DISA again in order to confirm it is not the vacuum portion, because then I believe I must replace the entire unit...
What are the chances that this is my issue?

The CCV seems quite tedious. Is there a very detailed guide, or video I can use? I think Bavauto has one on youtube..

Thanks for the good input SilberVogel

Last edited by Kye7; 11-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Don't buy crap from eBay. Go with a proven, quality solution such as the one from GAS.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
I will look at that kit, thank you.
What are the advantages of the GAS kit over the $45 ones I see on ebay? I only see that the long metal pin is included in the GAS kit, as well as the o-ring.
$80 seems a bit much to pay for some pins and plastic. Perhaps I am missing the importance of this?
The stock parts are the cheap plastic and little pin. The stop flap is plastic and can break and actually come completely out of the assembly to rattle around in your intake. The steel pin that holds it in place is just a short part that's prone to falling out into the intake when you remove the DISA even if the flap isn't broken. The plastic crank lever is also prone to breaking and/or stripping out. The GAS kit has an aluminum flap, a titanium pin that goes all the way through making it impossible to fall out, and an aluminum crank lever. Well worth the $80.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
The danger surrounding the DISA valve is a tad overblown I think. The steel pin mentioned cannot fall out on its own even in stock form. Remove the unit and study how it fits into the intake tract and you will see what I mean. I have no clue how people are coming in with these examples of how engines get destroyed by DISAs because for the life of me I can't see how that steel pin can come loose in the first place; it basically has nowhere to go as it is. Must be falling out upon removal is my best guess. My general advice is to not fall for these 'catastrophic' DISA warnings. Steel pin won't fall into the intake tract as long as you aren't fooling around with the DISA valve to begin with. If you need a new DISA because the vacuum element doesn't actuate the flapper anymore, you need a new DISA. If you need one because the flapper armature is worn out, buy a GAS kit.

I bought the GAS kit. I succumbed to the hysteria over DISA. At 125k, the DISA valve in my car at least, was practically new. I had to wrench the pin out with a pair of pliers, and it was still in there pretty good & stubborn. Installed the GAS kit anyway. Hey, it's a nice kit!

Last edited by hitbyastick; 11-06-2014 at 01:21 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Kye7

How will I be able to test the vacuum part if my controller arm is broken? Doesn't the arm need to be functional in order to operate the vacuum portion?
Again, my flap is completely loose. I have reason to believe that the plastic arm on the other side of mine is completely ground down. I will inspect it later today and update my post
Old 11-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
SilberVogel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 330Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
Also, I am aware that another issue may be present in my DISA valve. The vacuum part of it, that works with the "pusher" arm.
I will have to remove my DISA again in order to confirm it is not the vacuum portion, because then I believe I must replace the entire unit...
What are the chances that this is my issue?

The CCV seems quite tedious. Is there a very detailed guide, or video I can use? I think Bavauto has one on youtube..

Thanks for the good input SilberVogel
Chances are low that the vacuum pot is bad. You won't be able to test it the traditional way since your flap sounds worn and rotates loosely. See step #11 in the G.A.S. DIY I linked to above to do so.

CCV can be a challenge for some and the BavAuto video series help tremendously. Can be done in an afternoon if you take some time beforehand to understand how everything goes together. Here's some good resources:

Pictorial DIY: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=417819.
Bavarian Autosportís three-part video DIY: http://blog.bavauto.com/8003/diy-vid...ilation-system.

DIYs help you save money with repairs; let www.bmwpnpc.com help you save money with the parts.
SilberVogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #9
obd2ii
Sponsor

My Ride: bmw
I don't trust ebay, I won't buy thing from there
obd2ii is offline   Reply With Quote