E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
So I tried changing my coolant..

I wanted to change my coolant, as I just bought the car with 98,000 Miles, and I don't know the last time it was done.
I watched a lot of videos on youtube on how to do it, but was confused about the turning on the car, opening the bleed screw, and adding more after it cooled down part. Could someone explain this a bit better to me?
----
I turned the air on max in my car, but NOT turning on the car yet.

I undid the blue drain screw on the bottom of the car, and a slow but steady stream came out for a while. I opened the bleed screw on the reservoir tank and opened the tank as well, but the stick did not seem to go down much. I waited until the stream from under the car slowed to about 1 drop every 5 seconds.

In total, only about 1/4 gal of coolant came out. When I put the new coolant in, it took about 3/4 gal of coolant. Why is this?

After, I turned on my car, waited for the engine to warm up a bit (12'oclock temperature position), and drove it around the block. There was some noise coming from the engine, but I think I spilled some antifreeze on the belts or something. Will it be ok?
The temperature stayed in the right position, and it seemed to drive OK.

So, how come so little coolant came out from my car? I thought there would be a gallon or two. I am very confused and a bit concerned.

Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by Kye7; 09-07-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
You're usually instructed to turn the temp dial to full heat to involve the heater core. It doesn't sound like you removed the bolt under the exhaust manifold to drain the block. The entire system holds ~2 gallons.
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #3
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
The heat was on maximum (91 degrees). I tried with the blower on minimum, and on maximum. It seemed to make no difference at all in the speed the coolant leaked out from under the car. When I did this, the car was OFF, and I just had the heat blowing. Should my car have been ON?

And on none of the guides (5+ text guides w/ pictures, and 15+ youtube videos) for the e46 330 series did I see one of them take a screw out from the exhaust manifold. I am quite new to DIY so I am not quite sure I know what a exhaust manifold is. All of the videos I saw instructed me to loosen or remove the blue screw under the car on the passengers side, I believe it was the expansion bay screw.

Thank you John, but what am I doing wrong? Am I not looking in the correct place?
Kye7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
John in VA

My Ride: '00 Farngrün 328i
I mentioned draining the coolant from the engine block via the bolt located UNDER the exhaust manifold. The engine block and radiator & heater hoses hold much of the total coolant capacity, along with the expansion tank & radiator. There are, indeed, many coolant-related posts on this forum and the E46 section of bimmerforums.com. Take some time to read through/watch them to completely familiarize yourself with the system. Just a few:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ht=block+drain
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=878931
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20Overhaul.pdf

If your coolant level & temperature are within normal limits, you should be good. You could get some coolant test strip to see if your coolant is performing properly, as it sounds like you didn't get much drained/changed.

http://www.amazon.com/Cool-Trak-3115.../dp/B000MIUJMO
'86 535i
'85 535i
'85 325e - RIP
'74 2002tii
John in VA is offline   Reply With Quote