E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
FIX: Broken/Loose Volume/Power Knob for Stock Head Unit

How many people have this problem where they cannot turn on/off their head units because the power button is broke and loose? If there are enough people who need the fix, I'll post to Youtube, otherwise, I'm going to type up a DIY a little later. Let me know...

NicB.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
mine is loose but works
Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
AlphaVortex

My Ride: jalopy!
I just took it apart and super glued the knob bracket back on.
AlphaVortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
ToddInLou

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
My volume knob doesn't work like it should. When you try to turn it either way it doesn't really work well so I just use the steering wheel controls or turn it off and listen to the motor.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddInLou View Post
My volume knob doesn't work like it should. When you try to turn it either way it doesn't really work well so I just use the steering wheel controls or turn it off and listen to the motor.
Mine does the same... I'd be interested in a DIY!!
BadBoostedBmwM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
e46_619

My Ride: always breaks down!
Send a message via AIM to e46_619
same problem too!
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #7
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
mine is messed up too, if i scroll it to change the volume it goes haywire
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #8
mxli330ci

My Ride: 01 drei dreißig ci
Send a message via Skype™ to mxli330ci
My Volume knob does the same... I thought I was the only one. I've been using the steering controls since I got the car.
mxli330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
w0w

My Ride: 00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxli330ci View Post
My Volume knob does the same... I thought I was the only one. I've been using the steering controls since I got the car.
haha me too, i just got over it lol. but it always comes to bite me in the ass when a girl gets in my car and tries to jack my volume up and it goes nuts
Old 02-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Okay, well, I can't promise it's the same issue, but I'll get something worked up. That said, it'll be a day or two...been slammed at work. Stay tuned...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Alb89n

My Ride: Goes places
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddInLou View Post
+1
I find that pushing up and turning makes it work a little better.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #12
Blind32

My Ride: '07 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to Blind32 Send a message via Yahoo to Blind32
I also Would like to see a DIY for this. Thanks!
Blind32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
KGMonteith

My Ride: 2002 325Cic
I'd also like to see a DIY fix -- my '02 business cd volume knob is loose but still functional.
KGMonteith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
miclipse

My Ride: 330i
Fix: Broken/Loose Volume/Power Knob

Same issue on E46 330i: At first knob is just loose but fully functional then one good push and the volume pot pushed back inside.

Root Cause: There are two screws that hold the volume pot assembly to the radio front control assembly. These loosen over time. Pushing the knob will cause the top boss to crack and the screw to come out. (Look for it inside before it shorts something.)

Repair:
1.Pull out the radio. (see other threads for this)
2. Remove the entire front control assembly, NOT the black plastic face plate. Here's how >Two screws top >one screw each side > 3 smaller screws on bottom that secure the shield. >Under shield two hidden screws toward the front down inside two small round openings.
3.Carefully pry the front control assy off WITHOUT damaging the flex circuit.

If you can attempt a repair of the boss without disconnecting the flex that would be best but chances are you will need access to the lower screw which can only be accessed by then removing the shield that covers the pcb on the back of the control assy. To remove the flex, flip the brown latch forward toward the flex and the flex should pop free. When reconnecting this flex hold the control assembly close to the radio so you don't pull too hard on the flex. Then by reaching in from the side with a pair of needle nose grab the flex and move it into the connector with the brown lever partially down(not up). While the flex is in the connector use a small flat screw driver
to flip the latch back and upward. This will pinch the flex into the contacts. This flex(ZIF) connector is a bit tricky and you might want to examine it closely to see how it works.

I used super glue and baking soda to fix the boss. The lower boss was ok so I just added some super glue to the threads and screwed it back in. I also snapped off a clothes pin and gently wedged it in behind the volume pot circuit pcb and a heat sink.

Good luck.
miclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
mikeblack330ci

My Ride: JB 330ci
i just yanked on the knob till it came off.Then i pushed it back on lightly and it stays.if you push too hard it will "bottom out" but it dosent need a whole lot of pressure to turn off and on.its a temp fix.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
miclipse

My Ride: 330i
"bottom out" I recommend you fix it soon while you still might have the screw bosses intact.
miclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
km4n

My Ride: 2002 325i
Alright so my volume knob snapped such that it wont power up. The volume aspect seemed fine as it will go scroll left and right fine but when you press it it will just push back.

FIX: Super glued the white plastic portion. See attached pictures. I did not have to take anything apart just did it from the opening at the top.

Tools: Super glue and a toothpick

Time to fix: 5 min once the deck is hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	331546   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1656.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	331547  
km4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #18
jose325i

My Ride: 08 BMW 135i
lol my old headunit did this. I heard a loud crack and it never wanted to power off again. Turning the knob left/right worked, but sometimes I would try to increase the volume and it would decrease the volume instead. Then it stopped reading disks so i just bought another OEM headunit from someone here on the forum lol
Old 09-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
Makakio

My Ride: 03 325i sport
Thumbs Up Haha hooo!

THANKS FOR THIS! Just got my stereo out and that DIY was excellent help!

But I have a question: I'm having difficulty with your instructions on disassembling the stereo. Found the two screws top and a couple on the bottom, but can't find hidden ones and I don't understand if the shield and the flex are the same thing?

Maybe we can chat through, or if you took a pic, or maybe you can steer me to another place? I'd be grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclipse View Post
Same issue on E46 330i: At first knob is just loose but fully functional then one good push and the volume pot pushed back inside.

Root Cause: There are two screws that hold the volume pot assembly to the radio front control assembly. These loosen over time. Pushing the knob will cause the top boss to crack and the screw to come out. (Look for it inside before it shorts something.)

Repair:
2. Remove the entire front control assembly, NOT the black plastic face plate. Here's how >Two screws top >one screw each side > 3 smaller screws on bottom that secure the shield. >Under shield two hidden screws toward the front down inside two small round openings.

If you can attempt a repair of the boss without disconnecting the flex that would be best but chances are you will need access to the lower screw which can only be accessed by then removing the shield that covers the pcb on the back of the control assy. To remove the flex, flip the brown latch forward toward the flex and the flex should pop free. When reconnecting this flex hold the control assembly close to the radio so you don't pull too hard on the flex. Then by reaching in from the side with a pair of needle nose grab the flex and move it into the connector with the brown lever partially down(not up). While the flex is in the connector use a small flat screw driver
to flip the latch back and upward. This will pinch the flex into the contacts. This flex(ZIF) connector is a bit tricky and you might want to examine it closely to see how it works.

I used super glue and baking soda to fix the boss. The lower boss was ok so I just added some super glue to the threads and screwed it back in. I also snapped off a clothes pin and gently wedged it in behind the volume pot circuit pcb and a heat sink.

Good luck.

Last edited by Makakio; 09-22-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #20
vtrac

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by miclipse View Post

Repair:

Good luck.
Thanks for this. I just did this fix, but unfortunately when I was taking the radio apart, I knocked loose some spring that I can't figure out where it goes. Now my CD player is broken, but at least now I can turn on the power.
vtrac is offline   Reply With Quote