E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #41
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Nice! I like that you are varying the stocks for each, that is a good way to go IMO.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #42
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Nice! I like that you are varying the stocks for each, that is a good way to go IMO.
That's what I was thinking. Ultimately, I figured that it would be redundant to get two JAE stocks.
That, and the JAE-700 RSA stock for the M700 won't even go into production for another 3-4 months. If I do get another M700, I will probably get a JAE stock for it, but I've also always wanted an AICS. They're an incredibly highly-rated stock/chassis.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 PM   #43
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferm3 View Post
Silencer is best for sub sonic ammo like a handgun for example. Best thing for a rifle is something that diverts the sound to the sides and backwards without suppressing it

Note: There is nothing silent about a silencer...thus suppressor.
You're fairly right there, but have you heard the 308 fired with subsonic ammo with some of the higher suppressors?

There's a vid on youtube of an M1A fired w/ supersonic ammo, no suppressor, then w/ supersonic ammo w/ suppressor, and then subsonic ammo w/ suppressor. The only thing you hear with the third is the movement of the action. You can actually get a bolt action 308 to be more or less silent with the proper ammo and nice suppressor. Of course the range is cut down A LOT

EDIT: not exactly the same set of rounds as I remembered...all suppressed, 3 rnds supersonic, 2 rnds subsonic type 1, and 2 rnds subsonic type 2

Last edited by 3erdriver; 02-20-2009 at 06:15 PM.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #44
Reedo302

Lest we all forget, I don't have my Class III license yet, so I can't purchase or possess a sound suppressor for a firearm.

That said, muzzle breaks and flash suppressors are a good thing to have on a firearm to reduce recoil. Flash suppressors work well to reduce the brightness of the muzzle flash. muzzle breaks simply work to reduce recoil. Both are incredibly loud. Any muzzle break or suppressor that angles gas downward or upward is to be avoided if stealth is your concern. Ideally, flash should only be directed to the side.

Glock Armorer

Old 02-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #45
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
I understand...just know that I was assuming that most people use super sonic ammo for rifles and sub for handguns. I did not mean for it to sound like silencers only work on handguns....i just meant that they work best on guns with sub sonic ammo...which is typically a handgun.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #46
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post

just wondering, how come he didn't have to **** it back with the first set of ammo but with the last to types ?
Old 02-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #47
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasHGordoN View Post
just wondering, how come he didn't have to **** it back with the first set of ammo but with the last to types ?
The gun hes using is a civilian version ar15, which is a semi automatic, gas blow back system. Every round he shoots pushes gas into a gas tube which c0cks the gun back automatically (hence semiauto) and puts another bullet into the chmaber. Subsonic ammunition doesnt produce enough gas pressure to **** back the gun and put another bullet into the chamber, so he has to do it manually. you'll notice after the last supersonic round he fires he doesnt have to **** the charging handle/bolt back for the first subsonic round.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #48
FlasHGordoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Subsonic ammo fires under the speed of sound hence it doesnt break the sound barrier and go BANG!

Since it travels at a lower velocity it doesnt create as much back pressure to auto cycle the spring.
you can overcome this by using a weaker spring (DANGEROUS) or a slower burning power charge (Hard to measure grain while staying subsonic)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
The gun hes using is a civilian version ar15, which is a semi automatic, gas blow back system. Every round he shoots pushes gas into a gas tube which c0cks the gun back automatically (hence semiauto) and puts another bullet into the chmaber. Subsonic ammunition doesnt produce enough gas pressure to **** back the gun and put another bullet into the chamber, so he has to do it manually. you'll notice after the last supersonic round he fires he doesnt have to **** the charging handle/bolt back for the first subsonic round.
Quote:

lol

thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #49
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Quote:

Man...

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #50
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
why is it ****? I don't know what those four letters are. Is it pull?
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:20 AM   #51
FlasHGordoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
why is it ****? I don't know what those four letters are. Is it pull?
no,

co.ck
Old 02-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #52
Reedo302

Because everyone's using the word "co.ck" when the proper terminology is "charge"

Glock Armorer

Old 03-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #53
Reedo302

Well, I'm still waiting on several guns. 3 to be exact. I'm still waiting on my M1A, I have a Benelli M4 shotgun on the way, and I have a Glock 34 ordered direct from Glock. I'm really getting anxious about this.

I plan on going to Gunsite this summer for some training with a couple of these toys.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #54
j0k3r

My Ride: 2006 ///M3
Nice rifle, M700 is a classic style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Reedo, are you LEO?
Duude, please tell me you put lights on an import. That would be sick if you pull people over in an M3.

/Offtopic
j0k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:32 PM   #55
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0k3r View Post
Nice rifle, M700 is a classic style.

Duude, please tell me you put lights on an import. That would be sick if you pull people over in an M3.

/Offtopic
The M700 is going to the gunsmith soon for a tactical bolt handle install. I'm still waiting on my AICS stock.

I don't have my M3 anymore. But it would have been fun doing traffic enforcement with it.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #56
Reedo302

Well, I ordered my Benelli M4 today and it's coming from Florida. I also have the retractable stock that I'll be ordering this week. It should be a month wait for the stock to come in.

Video:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

Glock Armorer

Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #57
AndoOKC

My Ride: 1999 Honda Prelude
As an aside,

barrel length doesnt increase accurcay as much as it increases velocity which increases range. This may be important if trying to shoot beyond 800 yards where the added velocity will help your bullet actually impact on target. Police SWAT snipers prefer the shorter barrels because they dont engage from beyond 200 yds very often so the portability of a 20" barrel makes it the right choice. Also, barrel length can be detrimental becasue it can throw off barrel harmonics by making the barrel floppy. Furthermore, if you want to shoot past 800 yards you are going to need a 175 gr Sierra Match King bullet such as black hills or federal or TAP's. However my .308 shoots a custom handload with 43.8 gr Varget, a 175 gr SMK, and a 2.835 inch over all length in lake city match brass. This will get me out to 1000 yds and probably beyond with the right load and conditions. Your gun was made to shoot Sierra Match Kings.

Like you I also have a remington 700 Police Sniper System in a .308 dressed in an AICS 1.5. Right now I cant shoot beyond 500 yds due to the limits of my range but 45 minutes north of here i can shoot out to 1000 yds at tiger valley ( www.tigervalley.com ). I havent had a chance to do much with it.

If I were you I would start polishing your rifle up because they need them. Usually the feeding ramp sticks the round when feeding from a magazine so check the magazine since you are getting an AICS. Alot of times the bullet will go from the magazine to the feed ramp and scrape the bullet and cartidge up pretty bad. If you have this problem contact me ill tell u how to fix it.

If you want a class 3 weapon or accessory you can buy all you want. However, possession isnt allowed until you have received the tax stamp. So typically you find the class 3 item you want, purchase it before someone else does then you do the paper work and fill out on the paperwork all the appropriate markings and serial numbers. Then send to the BATF and wait for up to 6 months before you get approval. Then you make a photocopy and keep it with your gun and you keep the original in a safe. If the class 3 item is brand new (such as a suppressor) you will have to get it engraved with your info on it. Then you have to get local law enforcement to sign off with it usually the county sherriff. Since you are LE it wint be hard. However, you can bypass all this and set up either an LLC or a trust. Doing this means you dont have to send in fingerprints or get a county sherriff to sign off on the weapon.

"Back to savin lives"

Last edited by AndoOKC; 03-20-2009 at 04:13 PM.
AndoOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #58
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Well, I'm still waiting on several guns. 3 to be exact. I'm still waiting on my M1A, I have a Benelli M4 shotgun on the way, and I have a Glock 34 ordered direct from Glock. I'm really getting anxious about this.

I plan on going to Gunsite this summer for some training with a couple of these toys.

What do police officers think about the ammo shortage and the potential of future restrictions on gun ownership or ammo sales ?
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #59
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Well, I ordered my Benelli M4 today and it's coming from Florida. I also have the retractable stock that I'll be ordering this week. It should be a month wait for the stock to come in.

Video:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

OK holy crap thats awesome...I was gonna pick up a Mossberg or a Rem 870 but I think I might have changed my mind after seeing this...that is sick!

EDIT: Just looked...holy smokes that thing is expensive...maybe not after all

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 03-21-2009 at 12:02 AM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #60
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
What do police officers think about the ammo shortage and the potential of future restrictions on gun ownership or ammo sales ?
Many cops are gun owners, so our feelings about the whole issue is usually concurrent with most other people. It depends on where you live and what officers you talk to. Cops in New York City will have a completely different opinion than a Minneapolis Police Officer or a South Dakota State Trooper. The big difference comes in as to how you're brought up. In the midwest, there's a good chance you hunt or fish, so of course you'll be much more pro-gun.
The heads of many police organizations and federations have taken an anti-gun stance quite often, which is usually very contrary to the actual beliefs held by many cops.

All the cops that I work with are pro-gun. Even the two guys that are known democrats are pro-gun.
The ammo shortage is really hurting us when it comes to training. We have to wait 3-4 months to get ammunition when we order it, so we learned early on a couple years ago to order extra early and make sure we get ordered at the beginning of the fiscal year. That way we could get everything we could. We order everything (except .308 sniper ammo) from Federal Cartridge, which is only 35 miles from our PD.

The luxury that we have is that during the Assault Weapons Ban of 1994, we were still able to purchase many firearms that other people couldn't. I got full-capacity mags for MSRP during the AWB without waiting. Non-LE were paying $100 each and only when they could find them at gun shows. I imagine that it will be relatively similar if they reenact the AWB. Only problem is that they've been talking about completely banning certain guns.

The paradox: They want to put all the gun companies out of business, yet they're trying to save the economy and create jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
OK holy crap thats awesome...I was gonna pick up a Mossberg or a Rem 870 but I think I might have changed my mind after seeing this...that is sick!

EDIT: Just looked...holy smokes that thing is expensive...maybe not after all
Yeah, you gotta pay to play with that one. I wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't been able to get the telescoping stock.

Glock Armorer