E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
MarkXi04

My Ride: 325 Ci
Question Oil Question ?

Hey all,

I've come across an interesting issue and would love if someone could clarify it for me.

I have a 2004 330Ci and lately, when I would turn off the ignition the yellow oil light would come on all the time. I decided to check the oil level and indeed it was at the minimum. I still have 7000 KMs until the next oil service so I thought maybe there an oil leak.

I went to the dealer and spoke to a tech. advisor and he said it's very normal that the car uses some of the oil since it's done every 20,000 KMs unlike other cars at 4K-6K. He said it's always a good idea to have 1L oil bottle in the trunk and top it off when needed.

Is it true ? Or is there a possible oil leakage problem ?

Any help is much appreciated !
MarkXi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Some 330's do consume a lot of oil, but it would be a good idea to verify that there or no leaks anywhere. How many miles are on the motor?
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
MarkXi04

52K miles. Is there an easy way to verify for leaks other than taking the engine shield off at the bottom ?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
MarkXi04

Anyone else has any input ?
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
shady3one3
Banned

My Ride: gets replaced soon.
Send a message via AIM to shady3one3
Not really. You need to look around the oil pan.
shady3one3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
my yellow light came on last night too...only 41k.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
my yellow light came on last night too...only 41k.
That usually just means your oil is low. Go check the dipstick, and if indeed it is low, add the proper amount of oil. And never skip your oil changes or routine services.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 AM   #8
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
The newer E90's eat oil too... I have also have a 2006 323i and at only 23K it said fill up 1L...
I don't think its a serious issue but if it happens more than often I'd get it checked.

Could be a bad sign that the piston rings are slowly going....

Steve
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
bmwguy330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Send a message via MSN to bmwguy330
my light comes on about 10 sec after i start the car. then it stays on for 5 sec or so then goes out. I have 4500 miles till my next oil change. Could it be doing this as a reminder that the oil change is coming up? i revved the motor and let it go back to idle and monitored it and the light never came back on. so i started the car again and it did the same.
bmwguy330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #10
kkmlo9

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguy330 View Post
my light comes on about 10 sec after i start the car. then it stays on for 5 sec or so then goes out. I have 4500 miles till my next oil change. Could it be doing this as a reminder that the oil change is coming up? i revved the motor and let it go back to idle and monitored it and the light never came back on. so i started the car again and it did the same.
this may be a different issue. if you've checked your oil level and it is indeed fine (ie. not low) and your oil indicator light come on briefly at start up.. then there's a very good chance it's simply a fault oil level sensor. I have the exact problem. As long as your oil level is fine, this isn't an urgent fix if you don't mind the annoying light. But if you'd like to fix this, you can buy a new oil level sender and replace the old one at your next oil change. it is located on the oil pan, you can lookup DIY for more info.
kkmlo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
BMW had a lot of oil level sensors problems. If you get the yellow light and you are low on oil then yeah thats normal, but if you get the yellow light after starting the car and you are topped off on oil then you need a new sensor. Change it out on your next oil service to save on overlapping labor. And if you get the yellow light after doing an oil change and your certain that you put oil in it.... don't worry it takes a while to fill the little hole in the sensor.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote