E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #21
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Is the Pistol Grip Mossberg 500 legal in CA?
Yes, the barrel has to be a certain length though. I do believe that is a federal rule though.

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #22
bioman

My Ride: is fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRed1 View Post
My Mossie 500 reclining! Ha, I made a funny!!
How much was it to make your Mossberg into that? I like it.

Any links for the products?
bioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Quote:
How much was it to make your Mossberg into that? I like it.

Any links for the products?
Mossberg 500 - 250
You can get a recoil reduction pistol grip stock for - 100.
Shot shell holder - 20
Flashlight mount - 20
Fenix Led Flashlight - 60

Roughly 450 dollars.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
bioman

^So the barrel is stock? What brand is the pistol grip stock?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
^So the barrel is stock? What brand is the pistol grip stock?
No a barrel is not a stock. If you are confusing a barrel and a stock please do not purchase a firearm or any firearm parts.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
Old 02-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
imolazhp_ci

My Ride: metro.
Quote:
My Mossie 500 reclining! Ha, I made a funny!!
AHHHH i WANT!
imolazhp_ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
bioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by learthworml View Post
No a barrel is not a stock. If you are confusing a barrel and a stock please do not purchase a firearm or any firearm parts.
lol. I meant is the barrel of the shotgun on AV1Red's pictures stock/oem? The flared tip looks like it could be aftermarket.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 PM   #28
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
lol. I meant is the barrel of the shotgun on AV1Red's pictures stock/oem? The flared tip looks like it could be aftermarket.
HAHA. Okay. Gotcha. i read it wrong.

SQ sound system
Old 02-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #29
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
Get a Vang Comp. Best tact. shotty i've ever owned

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #30
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
subscribed for later,
-Chris
Old 02-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #31
AVRed1
I'm not a bum, I'm a nomad

My Ride: Steel Grey ///M
Send a message via AIM to AVRed1 Send a message via Yahoo to AVRed1
My gun is mostly stock. it was a special run of Mossberg they made, I think they're out of production but still relatively easy to find. It has a fake adjustable carbon fiber stock and forearm. And the special "breacher barrel" makes it look real mean. Then I added a pentagon light with pressure switch and some kind of red dot scope.

I went to shot gun world tactical forum and asked for help. Now I'm ready to take on some zombies!

Here's the link:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813523639.html

And the forum link: some of those guns on there are insane!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=40059

Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #32
E92M

My Ride: '08 ZCP M3 | '03 R6
HD necessities:

Pump Action Shotgun.
18-18.5" Barrel.
Extended Tube.
Practice. (most important)
Flashlight.

I'm 4 for 5. ,
-Chris
Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #33
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

To be honest I have a mossberg 500 with shot shell holder and LED flashlight. I practice with it a decent amount and have the shot shell filled with 00 buck. However, if I had to pick up a weapon for self defense in my house, I would rather pick up my AR-15 with fragmentable rounds or my HK USP pistol. The recoil on a shotgun is pretty strong and it's hard to do a quick follow up shot. In addition, shotgun rounds spread and buckshot penetrates pretty well. If I'm shooting something in my house I want to make sure I hit what I shoot and nothing else. If I shot a shotgun down the hallway of my house, it is long enough that I would definitely hit some rooms also. Definitely practice with a shotgun. Many people think it is just point and shoot. WRONG! Shotguns are not magic wands.

SQ sound system
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #34
Ferm3

My Ride: 2003 Topaz Blue M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean_3 View Post
+1

Heres an old phone pic
Attachment 301941

/thread
Where did you find one with the folding stock? Did you add it later?

+1 on the AR-15

Quote:
My gun is mostly stock. it was a special run of Mossberg they made, I think they're out of production but still relatively easy to find. It has a fake adjustable carbon fiber stock and forearm. And the special "breacher barrel" makes it look real mean. Then I added a pentagon light with pressure switch and some kind of red dot scope.

I went to shot gun world tactical forum and asked for help. Now I'm ready to take on some zombies!

Here's the link:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813523639.html

And the forum link: some of those guns on there are insane!
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=40059

If that was semi auto

2 870 Remington shotguns (left and right ejecting) stuck together+baseball bat for pump=

Last edited by Ferm3; 02-09-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Ferm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #35
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0012785224733a.shtml

SQ sound system
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 AM   #36
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
Quote:
To be honest I have a mossberg 500 with shot shell holder and LED flashlight. I practice with it a decent amount and have the shot shell filled with 00 buck. However, if I had to pick up a weapon for self defense in my house, I would rather pick up my AR-15 with fragmentable rounds or my HK USP pistol. The recoil on a shotgun is pretty strong and it's hard to do a quick follow up shot. In addition, shotgun rounds spread and buckshot penetrates pretty well. If I'm shooting something in my house I want to make sure I hit what I shoot and nothing else. If I shot a shotgun down the hallway of my house, it is long enough that I would definitely hit some rooms also. Definitely practice with a shotgun. Many people think it is just point and shoot. WRONG! Shotguns are not magic wands.
.223 or 9mm or .45 in the USP will penetrate sheetrock and walls with ease. On the topic of follow up shots due to recoil with the 12g, a single, well placed 12g round will stop anyone in their tracks with minimal collateral damage. Not to mention, the sound of a pump action shotgun is intimidating enough to stop many confrontations without ever having to fire a shot.

1st Choice: A Shotgun:
Pros: Incredibly effective. Less risk of injury to neighbors due to over penetration of walls.
Cons: Harder to maneuver with in tight spaces due to larger size than handguns.
I would generally recommend a shotgun for home defense, because shotguns are (rightfully so) generally considered to be the most effective short ranged firearm. Rather than shooting a single bullet with each pull of the trigger as a rifle or handgun would do, shotguns shoot multiple pellets. These multiple pellets are more likely to stop an attacker but less likely to pass through the exterior walls of your home and injure your neighbors (note that I say *less* likely, as there is always a risk to bystanders). The recoil from firing a shotgun is heavier than a handgun, but this heavier recoil is more than worth the increase in effectiveness (although there is more to the effectiveness of a firearm than the kinetic energy of its projectiles, you can compare the 500 ft-lbs of energy from a .45 caliber bullet to the 2000+ ft-lbs from a shotgun firing 00 buckshot). For those who are new to guns and not accustomed to recoil, let me assure you that you will quickly get used to it after a few trips to your local range.
2nd Choice: a Handgun:
Pros: Easier to maneuver with in tight spaces do to its small size. Lower recoil than most shotguns and rifles.
Cons: Less effective than a shotgun or rifle.
A handgun, such as one from the Springfield XD line of pistols, would be my 2nd choice recommendation for home defense.
Handguns are generally less effective than shotguns or rifles, as their projectiles have less energy, but they do have the benefit of being easier to maneuver with in cramped quarters, such as smaller houses and apartments. Handgun bullets will generally penetrate exterior walls more than shotguns, but less than rifles, meaning that the hypothetical danger to your neighbors is lower than with a rifle but higher than with a shotgun. My recommendations for the proper pistol self defense calibers are here.
3rd Choice: a Rifle:
Pros: Generally much more effective than a handgun.
Cons: Rifle bullets have a tendency to over penetrate walls, increasing the danger to your neighbors.
A rifle would be my last choice for a home defense firearm, although it would certainly be preferable over throwing sticks and stones at a home invader.
Rifles are generally more effective than handguns, however rifle bullets are able to penetrate much further than the shot from a shotgun or the bullets from a handgun. This creates a much greater risk to your neighbors, without much benefit to you. Rifles are generally designed for longer range shooting (e.g. 100 yards, and much further +) so there is no appreciable benefit in rifle designed for long range shooting within your house, since if you are ever forced to shoot a home invader it will be at very close range. Indeed, shooting at someone who is 100 yards away is almost impossible to justify as self defense. Although rifles are great for many purposes, home defense is not usually one of them, since rifles possess the drawbacks of shotguns (heavier recoil, more physically bulky and difficult to maneuver with in close quarters) while having none of the advantages (such as less of a risk of over penetration).
When discussing the risk of overpenetration, I assumed that the shotgun ammunition being used was 00 buckshot from a 2.75" shotgun shell, that the handgun ammunition being used was somewhere between 9mm and .45 caliber, and that the rifle ammunition being used was somewhere between .243 and .30-06. Although the danger of over penetration may be lower with shotguns than with handguns or rifles, the projectile(s) from any gun can over penetrate and pose a danger to innocent bystanders. Even if you are forced to fire your gun in self defense or defense of your family, you should not endanger the lives of your neighbors or other innocent bystanders.

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 AM   #37
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:

Cool.

If she every gets attacted from 50ft away in the middle of the field, she will know what to use.

Glock 19 FTW.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #38
FlasHGordoN

My Ride: a car
some sick shotguns :woo:
Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #39
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX330ci View Post
.223 or 9mm or .45 in the USP will penetrate sheetrock and walls with ease. On the topic of follow up shots due to recoil with the 12g, a single, well placed 12g round will stop anyone in their tracks with minimal collateral damage. Not to mention, the sound of a pump action shotgun is intimidating enough to stop many confrontations without ever having to fire a shot.

1st Choice: A Shotgun:
Pros: Incredibly effective. Less risk of injury to neighbors due to over penetration of walls.
Cons: Harder to maneuver with in tight spaces due to larger size than handguns.
I would generally recommend a shotgun for home defense, because shotguns are (rightfully so) generally considered to be the most effective short ranged firearm. Rather than shooting a single bullet with each pull of the trigger as a rifle or handgun would do, shotguns shoot multiple pellets. These multiple pellets are more likely to stop an attacker but less likely to pass through the exterior walls of your home and injure your neighbors (note that I say *less* likely, as there is always a risk to bystanders). The recoil from firing a shotgun is heavier than a handgun, but this heavier recoil is more than worth the increase in effectiveness (although there is more to the effectiveness of a firearm than the kinetic energy of its projectiles, you can compare the 500 ft-lbs of energy from a .45 caliber bullet to the 2000+ ft-lbs from a shotgun firing 00 buckshot). For those who are new to guns and not accustomed to recoil, let me assure you that you will quickly get used to it after a few trips to your local range.
2nd Choice: a Handgun:
Pros: Easier to maneuver with in tight spaces do to its small size. Lower recoil than most shotguns and rifles.
Cons: Less effective than a shotgun or rifle.
A handgun, such as one from the Springfield XD line of pistols, would be my 2nd choice recommendation for home defense.
Handguns are generally less effective than shotguns or rifles, as their projectiles have less energy, but they do have the benefit of being easier to maneuver with in cramped quarters, such as smaller houses and apartments. Handgun bullets will generally penetrate exterior walls more than shotguns, but less than rifles, meaning that the hypothetical danger to your neighbors is lower than with a rifle but higher than with a shotgun. My recommendations for the proper pistol self defense calibers are here.
3rd Choice: a Rifle:
Pros: Generally much more effective than a handgun.
Cons: Rifle bullets have a tendency to over penetrate walls, increasing the danger to your neighbors.
A rifle would be my last choice for a home defense firearm, although it would certainly be preferable over throwing sticks and stones at a home invader.
Rifles are generally more effective than handguns, however rifle bullets are able to penetrate much further than the shot from a shotgun or the bullets from a handgun. This creates a much greater risk to your neighbors, without much benefit to you. Rifles are generally designed for longer range shooting (e.g. 100 yards, and much further +) so there is no appreciable benefit in rifle designed for long range shooting within your house, since if you are ever forced to shoot a home invader it will be at very close range. Indeed, shooting at someone who is 100 yards away is almost impossible to justify as self defense. Although rifles are great for many purposes, home defense is not usually one of them, since rifles possess the drawbacks of shotguns (heavier recoil, more physically bulky and difficult to maneuver with in close quarters) while having none of the advantages (such as less of a risk of over penetration).
When discussing the risk of overpenetration, I assumed that the shotgun ammunition being used was 00 buckshot from a 2.75" shotgun shell, that the handgun ammunition being used was somewhere between 9mm and .45 caliber, and that the rifle ammunition being used was somewhere between .243 and .30-06. Although the danger of over penetration may be lower with shotguns than with handguns or rifles, the projectile(s) from any gun can over penetrate and pose a danger to innocent bystanders. Even if you are forced to fire your gun in self defense or defense of your family, you should not endanger the lives of your neighbors or other innocent bystanders.

1. Overpenetration is falsely assumed. A .223 fagmentable round that many Police forces use will not penetrate as much as 00' Buck shot. The .223 travels at a very high velocity. Mated with a fragmentable round it will shatter upon impact of a body or a wall. 00 Buck shot will go right through the wall as it is not meant to fragment, it is meant to go through the thick skin and bones of a Buck. Bird shot is not suffice for home defense.

2. Sound intimidation factor. I doubt that it will scare many off. Cycling and AR also produced an "intimidating" sound if you think that helps. lol I don't want a bad guy to be scared. I want to take him out.

3. Miss fires and hurting neighbors or family. You are more likely to harm a neighbor or family member from a few of the pellets of 00 buck. An AR-15 is highly accurate and unless you are a really bad shot, it is hard to miss something at close range. The video I posted shows this. When you shoot a shotgun shell not all of the pellets are going to hit center of mass.

4. Multiple intruders. If you hear a noise and go down stairs with your shotgun and find 3 armed men. You are SOL. Let's say you take one or two out, by the time you rack for the third one you would have a few rounds in you. With an AR-15 and some training you could take out all 3 in a matter of seconds. You ever try lateral walking while plinking plates with an AR or even standing still and hitting a few plates a couple yards apart? You can double tape 3 plates within seconds. Try doing that with 00" shotgun. Even with practice a shotgun is going to have some recoil and it takes time to readjust your sights and pump it. Go out and setup some targets and try it out for yourself. I hate hearing all these Mr. Macho guys say that 12 gauges have no recoil if you practice. Try setting up 3 targets within a few yards of eachother and then take them out under 5 seconds.

5. Loading speed. If I heard someone coming up my stairs, it would only take a couple seconds to load a mag in my AR. How long would it take for you to load a 2-3 shells in a shotgun and then rack it?

6. Accuracy and distance, same as 3 almost. As stated earlier, not all of the shotgun pellets will hit COM. The AR is deadly accurate under 100m. Example, the intruder is at the end of a long hallway in your house, let's say 25 feet. The shotgun pellet spread might take out your child along with the intruder down the hall, while the .223 will fragment and stay in the in the bad guys chest.

7. Real life use. Shotguns are mainly used to breach doors, because they take out large chunks of the door. Would you really want to shoot something like that around your children? Swat teams and Special Forces use M4's. You don't see them clearing homes/rooms with shotguns. Why? Shotguns aren't as accurate and cause a lot of collateral damage.

I keep my handgun in my nightstand in condition 1, but if I had time to get to my AR, I would get to it. I'd much rather aim down my hall and be sure I'm hitting the intruder then praying I don't take out a family member with pellet spread.

One more time. The distance of a normal hallway in a big home, which most of us have(owning BMW's).

Which would you rather fire in your house with love ones all around? I'd pick the most accurate one. If a girl with no training can hit 7/9 center of mass and 9/9 hit the target with the AR. Imagine someone with training.

Not saying the shotgun is a bad gun. I own a Mossberg 500 and would use it if I knew there was only one intruder and he was coming up the stairs and I was at the top. Other than that give me my AR and HK USP.

SQ sound system

Last edited by learthworml; 02-10-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #40
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
Cool.

If she every gets attacted from 50ft away in the middle of the field, she will know what to use.

Glock 19 FTW.
Glockman you are awesome. No matter what gun topics come up you always figure out a way to incorporate Glocks . I'd still take the AR at 50 ft though.

SQ sound system