E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Auto Folding Mirrors + Memory

What's the definitive deal on this?

All the threads on here are not that clear on what's needed and if they're Coupe only. I have Power Memory seats (retrofitted) so I have a memory module of some kind in them. I would love to have auto folding mirrors with memory linked to my seating position and 'auto-down' when engaging reverse gear.

What do I need from BMW? In my mind, it's a set of mirrors with memory and power fold motors plus the switch for the armrest with the fold button added. Am I missing anything? BMW's ETK only mentions the memory motor part but not the motor part that actually folds the mirror up.

Last edited by royalratch; 02-18-2009 at 11:23 AM.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
In the UK, I'm pretty sure it's easier to DIY powerfold mirrors since your cars are already pre-wired for them.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
royalratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
In the UK, I'm pretty sure it's easier to DIY powerfold mirrors since your cars are already pre-wired for them.
Are you sure - how do you know this?

Would be great if confirmed by a UK user here.

So what do I need to get my hands on...?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
E46tradition

My Ride: 06 E46 ZHP MT
Send a message via AIM to E46tradition
Would love to help you but my problem is that i have ribbon. Do a search, you have all the parts and seems like your car is already prewired. Give it a try, it isnt difficult.
E46tradition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
royalratch

What I'm wondering is, can I just fit the 'memory motor' (Item 5 - 67 13 8 375 457) to my existing mirrors and cut the cost?

I think those and the mirror memory module that resides in the door could do the trick, if I cannot hunt down the full mirror pair.

Item 4 (61 35 6 916 054). Item 2 (61 35 8 376 506) controls power fold in.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
royalratch

To be honest, I thought this was a Coupe only option...

Last edited by royalratch; 02-20-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
What's the definitive deal on this?

All the threads on here are not that clear on what's needed and if they're Coupe only. I have Power Memory seats (retrofitted) so I have a memory module of some kind in them. I would love to have auto folding mirrors with memory linked to my seating position and 'auto-down' when engaging reverse gear.

What do I need from BMW? In my mind, it's a set of mirrors with memory and power fold motors plus the switch for the armrest with the fold button added. Am I missing anything? BMW's ETK only mentions the memory motor part but not the motor part that actually folds the mirror up.
If you want the mirrors to fold up electrically when you park you also need new mirrors. You can't just add a motor, our manual fold mirrors don't pivot the same way...
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
royalratch

I've gone off that idea now - just want the memory.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #9
royalratch

So what do people think? Memory motors and control module is all that's needed?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Stormos

My Ride: Not alot!
uk prewired? someone elaborate quick as if they are i am going to buy!
Stormos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #11
royalratch

Quote:
How can you be so sure from over there lol!

Bump.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
naveedh

My Ride: Bmw 325Ci SE
He's correct. My late 2001 doesn't have power fold mirrors but does have heated electric memory seats. If your car has this then it is prewired. Don't make the mistake I did and make sure you get the ribbon connector mirror if your car is post 2003 and the 12 pin If it's pre. If it's in between I'd open up the door card and check. I bought the wrong ones so if any anyone with a post 2003 coupe gimme a shout I've got a complete retro which includes the switch required.
naveedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #13
royalratch

I have a January 2003 Facelift Touring.

I retrofitted the memory seats so I doubt it will be pre-wired in this case?

So I'm looking for either a ribbon or 12-Pin connector - would I need anything more than the mirrors and module?

If I have just a 6-pin is it then a much bigger deal?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
royalratch

Quote:
If I have just 6-pin connectors is it then a much bigger deal?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
royalratch

Help.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 AM   #16
royalratch

So I scored a set of memory mirrors from a Coupe, non-folding though. Will the motors and an control modules simply be re-housed into my Touring mirrors and work?

Is there wiring involved?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:13 PM   #17
royalratch

I've seen a great DIY on here by Ivegotissuesbut it does not answer this question.

Would really appreciate some info on whether I can just put the guts of a memory set of mirrors with the control modules into a standard car and if I'll need to any wiring?
Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #18
delmarco

Quote:
How can you be so sure from over there lol!

Bump.
Because we already started a thread about this last October and did extensive research on the BMW E46's Mirrors. Using info compiled from folks and dealerships in the UK, USA and even Austrailia we came up with the jist about power fold mirrors. Here are the three basic rules that apply to both sedans and coupes E46 from 1998 to 2006.

RULE 1:
In the USA Powerfolding Mirrors are NOT and NEVER were an option on the
E46. In the UK Power Fold Mirrors from the E46s to the E90s of today ARE an option.

RULE 2:
For the E46 BMWs they are ONLY 3 TYPES of Powerfolding mirrors made;

1. 1998 to 2002 12 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 has memory seats already to upgrade to this set up all you need are the 12 pin/memory mirrors that power fold and the matching 6 pin/memory power folding mirrors' switch)

2. 1998 to 2002 6 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 does not have memory seats to upgrade to this set up you will need to buy 6 pin/non-memory mirrors that power fold, the corresponding 6 pin/non-memory power folding mirror's switch AND you will need to buy the ECU Power Folding Module-which varies depending on the year of your car)

3. 2002 to 2006 Ribbon Power Folding Mirrors for either MEMORY/NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs. If the car you have falls in these years you need to get the corresponding Power Folding Mirrors that have the Ribbon attachment. You may also need ther components based on the configuration of your BMW.

Power Folding Mirrors ARE NOT readily available in the USA and are usually ordered from the UK/Germany via our Dealerships. Or if you peruse eBay Germany/UK/Sweden you can usually find a set on sale.

RULE 3
Other need to know facts about these BMW Power Folding mirrors is that BMW E46s Sedans and BMW E39s share the same mirrors housings and motors. BMW E46 Coupe & M3 OEM Mirrors are cut different, fold differently (up and not in) and WILL NOT fit on the BMW E46 Sedan. Aftermarket BMW E46 M3 Style Mirrors are made in 6-pin, 12-pin and ribbon kits for all years E46 and E39 Sedans and Power Fold upwards and not inwards.
Whiles these kits are usually plug and play, the power fold options are set up differently than the OEM set up.

Quote:

Quote:
Okay I have a 6/2001 E46 Sedan that originally came with Memory and 12 pin Manual Folding mirrors.

According to TMK, who modified his 9/2002 E46 Wagon that originally came with Memory and 12 pin Manual Folding Mirrors, he just needed the two R and L Folding Mirror Units and the European Power Folding Mirror Control Switch. In his DIY he didn't say there was an extra module needed. REALOEM also doesn't have an ECU module listed for the 1998 to 3/2003 E46 that come w/ Memory.
So I assume all pre 3/2003 E46 that came with memory seats already have the module in the door that supports both Memory and Folding.

When you say I need this ECU glovebox module for the folding feature are you assuming that my car doesn't have Memory? Since it seems that only cars that didn't have Memory would need the extra ECU glovebox module to compensate for the folding feature.

So going by this you would say these statements are true;

Statement A. If my pre 3/2003 E46 came with memory and 12 pin memory manual folding mirrors and Non-Power Folding Mirror Control Switch w/ MEMORY (turquiose back), then my E46 already has the R and L Memory Module inside the doors that supports the Power Folding motor. So to get MEMORY Power Folding all I need are;
1. R and L MEMORY Power Folding Mirror Units
2. European Power Folding Mirror Control Switch w/ MEMORY (purple back)

Statement B. If my pre 3/2003 E46 did NOT come with memory and ONLY came with the 6 pin NON-MEMORY manual folding mirrors and NON-MEMORY, Non-Power Folding, Mirror Control Switch (black back), then my E46 does not have a Memory Module. So to get NON-MEMORY Power Folding I would need;
1. R and L NON-MEMORY Power Folding Units
2. NON-MEMORY European Power Folding Mirror Control Switch (yellow back)
3. The ECU (Power Folding Mirror) Control Module that goes behind the glovebox.
4. AND I would have to get this ECU Control Module programmed at the dealership.

Statement C. If my pre 3/2003 E46 did NOT come with memory and ONLY came with the 6 pin NON-MEMORY manual folding mirrors and NON-MEMORY, Non-Power Folding, Mirror Control Switch (black back), then my E46 does not have a Memory Module. So to get MEMORY Power Folding I would need;
1. R and L MEMORY Power Folding Units
2. European Power Folding Mirror Control Switch w/ MEMORY (purple back)
3. The R and L MEMORY Modules that goes inside the doors
4. AND I would have to get the MEMORY Modules programmed at the dealership.

Here are some pictures for reference

If your pre-3/2003 E46 BMW has NO Memory and Manual Folding Mirrors. This is ALL you will find on your car for Mirror Control;

And If you want to upgrade your Non-Memory/Manual Folding Mirrors to Non-Memory/Power Folding Mirrors then you need to buy Non-Memory type/Power Folding Mirrors and these things then you will have to get your car programmed at the dealership;
>

But if you want to upgrade your Non-Memory/Manual Folding Mirrors to Memory Power Folding Mirrors then you need to buy the Memory Power Folding Mirrors (even if they are Aftermarket M3-Spec) and these things and you may need do a 6 pin to 12 pin conversion and/or get your car programmed at the dealership;
>

>
two of these needed; one for each door.

If your pre-3/2003 E46 BMW has Memory and Manual Folding Mirrors then these are what should be on your car;
>

or it may be more of a lighter turquiose color

And if you want to upgrade from your Memory Manual Fold Mirrors to Memory Power Folding Mirrors then you simply need the Memory Power Folding Mirrors and this switch. Everything will be plug and play.
>
So I paid my car a visit today after work and decide to open some cavities up to see what I have and test my theory.
As you all know I have 2001 330i Sedan wth Memory and Manual Folding Mirrors and I intend to upgrade to the power folding mirrors.

My Car:

My Memory Seat Buttons:

My Door Panel Mirror Adjust Switch (just pry the top and botton end with a butter knife and it easily pops off):

The underside of the switch revealing that it is indeed the blue/turquiose color that it should be to indicate I have a manual folding memory set up:

So that means I have the correct switch and also the in-door Mirror Memory Modules already so I would only need to buy the Power Fold Switch and the R and L power Fold Mirror Units.

Last edited by delmarco; 03-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
A little optimistic.

I have a German 1999 car with factory memory seats, and even though the car appeared to be prewired, this was only partly true. I have 6 pin mirrors, so to get them autofolding they needed to be replaced with the 6+2 pin mirrors. And this is where the appearance of pre-wiring comes in:
In each of my doors there was a 2-pin connector sitting there, seemingly available for a plug&play auto-folding mirror. However, tracing the wires back to the door connector (cables running from door to car), they ended in pins only on the door side. Car side was empty. Also, no folding module in my glovebox.

What I needed was:
- Power-folding mirrors (6+2 pins, 12 pin will work as well but you need to modify the connector)
- Innoparts SAM (aftermarket replacement for OEM folding module, half the price and more features)
- Mirror switch in armrest with button to fold
- Run my own wiring throughout the car and plug the pinouts into the door connector. Doors were wired already

Not sure if this setup holds for UK cars, but just to point out that appearances can be deceiving.
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #20
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safar View Post
A little optimistic.

I have a German 1999 car with factory memory seats, and even though the car appeared to be prewired, this was only partly true. I have 6 pin mirrors, so to get them autofolding they needed to be replaced with the 6+2 pin mirrors. And this is where the appearance of pre-wiring comes in:
In each of my doors there was a 2-pin connector sitting there, seemingly available for a plug&play auto-folding mirror. However, tracing the wires back to the door connector (cables running from door to car), they ended in pins only on the door side. Car side was empty. Also, no folding module in my glovebox.

What I needed was:
- Power-folding mirrors (6+2 pins, 12 pin will work as well but you need to modify the connector)
- Innoparts SAM (aftermarket replacement for OEM folding module, half the price and more features)
- Mirror switch in armrest with button to fold
- Run my own wiring throughout the car and plug the pinouts into the door connector. Doors were wired already

Not sure if this setup holds for UK cars, but just to point out that appearances can be deceiving.
Uhm...
The Glove Box Power Folding ECU will ONLY be there for cars with NO MEMORY Seats and Power Folding Mirrors. So even if your BMW have Memory seats or not, you will not have the Power Folding ECU in your glove box unless your car originally came with the Power Folding Mirrors.

Memory Seat cars are vastly different. Those cars have two Power Folding ECU inside each of the front doors and thse power folding ECU is shared with the Memory Seat (and possibly mirror tilt function) ECU. Its all in one.

So when I say your car is prewired for Power Folding Mirrors, I'm talking about these in-door ECU modules. Adding 12 pin power fold mirrors will only require unplugging your old 12 pin non-power fold mirrors from the in-door ECU and plugging in the new 12 pin power fold mirrors. After this is done all you need to do is unplug your old 12 pin Mirror switch from the other side of the in-door ECU circuit and plugging in your new 12 pin Mirror Switch with the Folding Button to the same input. Start your car, press the button once and the mirrors will fold in. Press it again and the mirrors will fold out. It is that simple.

On the other hand, if you are adding stuff to your non-memory BMW E46 or adding 6 pin non-memory mirrors to a 12 pin memory car (or vice versa) or adding an aftermarket kit. Then it can become a complex game of anything goes/nothing works.

12 Pin Non Memory and 6 Pin Memory Power Folding Mirrors are wired very differently, so we are really simplifying it when we say 6 pin and 12 pin.

So if you bought 6 pin non memory power folding mirrors for a BMW that has memory seats and you try to wire them up to your car you may be led to think that it is your car that lacks the wiring or parts for the folding mirror to power fold when indeed it is a fact that you have the wrong mirrors. Just buying power folding mirrors doesn't mean that they will work for your car. Even if you have the pins spliced to match up, it still may not work.

That said, some folks splice the 12 pin wiring to 6 pin mirrors (vice versa) and try to get them to work especially with aftermarket kits but they are very tricky to splice since the brain for the folding feature is very hard to fool and are vastly different between MEMORY (two modules in one each front door) and NON-MEMORY (one module behind the glove box area).

Even if you splice your wires correctly you may still need to add an aftermarket ECU to get anything to power fold. Chaces are if you bought a used BMW E46 that has been on the road for almost 10 years there is no limits to what the previous owners wired up and took out over the years.

Last edited by delmarco; 03-26-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Tags
auto, folding, memory, mirror, power