E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #21
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Firstly, let me say thanks for replying - way cool.

My case is made more complicated because my memory power seats but they were retrofitted.
So I don't even know if my mirrors are memory 'ready' or not.
Basically, I just want memory mirrors now, not even power folding.
I have a UK 1/2003 (facelift) Touring.

What do I need to do?

I'll post a pic of my switch right away - maybe that will help.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch
Firstly, let me say thanks for replying - that was cool.

My case is made more complicated because my memory power seats but they were retrofitted.

So I don't even know if my mirrors are memory 'ready' or not.

Basically, I just want memory mirrors now, not even power folding.

I have a UK 1/2003 (facelift) Touring.

What do I need to do?

I'll post a pic of my switch right away - maybe that will help.
yeah opening up your mirror switch (pluck it out and flip it over) will be a good way to start. It should be Black (ribbon/6 pin-non memory) or Turquoise (ribbon/12 pin-memory).

The production month/year for your car is very tricky because it can be either 6 pin, 12 pin or ribbon. Between 9/2002 and 3/2003 E46 BMWs came with all three Mirror/Memory Seat set ups.
Also even if someone put memory seats in the car t doesnt mean that the wiring to the mirrors will be memory unless they swapped out the mirrors as well.

My bet is that you have either 6 pin or ribbon style mirrors on your car. Hopefully, your best bet is that you have the 6 pin. All you would need is 6 pin non memory mirrors, the glove box ECU and the 6 pin non memory switch. If you have ribbon mirrors then I can't help you other than to tell you go to the dealership and get a list of parts your would need. Also the ribbon mirrors require dealership programming and possibly an extra module.

This should help guide you;
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_big_1 View Post
Yep! You are all getting my thoughts now.
A simple way of seeing it, without part numbers is this.

A pre 2003/2002 none memory, none power fold have a 6 way conector on the mirrors and an adjusting switch.

A pre 2003/2002 with power fold none memory have 12 way connector, module in the door and an adjust switch.

A pre 2003/2002 with memory and no power fold have 12 way connector, module in the door and an adjust switch.

A pre 2003/2002 with memory and power fold have 12 way connector, module in the door, fold module behind glovebox and an adjust switch.

A post 2003/2002 none memory, none power fold have a 2 x 3 way conectors (Ribbon)on the mirrors and an adjusting switch.

A post 2003/2002 with power fold none memory have 12 way connector, module in the door and an adjust switch.

A post 2003/2002 with memory and no power fold have 2 x 3 way connector, (Ribbon) module in the mirror motor and an adjust switch.

A post 2003/2002 with memory and power fold have 2x3 way connector (Ribbon), module in the mirror motor, and an adjust switch.

I think thats the way it is done.

Like I siad, if you have memory seats on a post 2003 like me, I think all that is needed is the correct mirrors with the memory module built in to the mirror motor, the correct purple back adjust switch. I think the car has to be codded one all the bits are fitted.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #23
royalratch

Mine is 12 pin GREY lol!

Does this mean it is pre-wired for memory then? Am I missing some memory modules or do I just need the dealer to 'activate.'

I assume the auto-tilt in reverse gear is included?
Old 03-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
royalratch

The connectors are not ribbon by the way, at least not into the switch. Don't know what's going on at inside the mirror housing...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #25
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
Mine is 12 pin GREY lol!

Does this mean it is pre-wired for memory then? Am I missing some memory modules or do I just need the dealer to 'activate.'

I assume the auto-tilt in reverse gear is included?
Okay. Now that I'm seeing the picture I realize you are wrong in thinking you have 12 pin memory. Ignore my recent email where I'm advising you what to do with the 12 pin mirrors.

The 12 pin or 6 pin is not refering to what you see at the back of the Mirror switch. NON MEMORY BMW E46s will have the T shape 11-pin and wires connection on the back of the Mirror switch, like yours do.

Whereas if your car had MEMORY the connector on the back of your Mirror switch will only have 6-pins and wires like my turquiose/blue backed Mirror switch as shown in this picture;

It gets confusing because the 6pin and 12pin refers to the wires that are actually coming off the Mirror Housings going into the door and connecting up to whatever is in the door (wheter it be a simple connector circuit box as in the case for cars with NON-MEMORY seats, or the MEMORY Seat/Power Folding Black Box ECUs as in the case for cars with MEMORY seats) before either going directly to the switch-as in cars without both the power folding mirrors and the Non-Memory White Box ECU, or going to the glove box ECU first for the power folding brain and then onto the switch in cars without MEMORY and power folding mirrors.

So your car does NOT have MEMORY function in the mirrors. That means you do NOT have the Power Folding White Box ECU-located behind the glove box, nor does your car have the two Memory/Power Folding Black Box In-Door ECUs.

Had your car came with Power Folding Mirrors but NO MEMORY then you would find the white box ECU behind your glove box with 6 pin wires going to both mirrors and then onto Power Folding switch which would have the same 11-pin T shape style connector back like yours have.

To ADD Power Folding Mirrors to your car you can do it two ways.

1. If you just want the mirrors to power fold in and don't care about MEMORY function. Then you just need to get the 6 pin NON MEMORY power folding mirrors units, the corresponding 6 pin (but 11pin connector T shape style) power folding switch, AND you need to get the white box ECU that will sit behind your glovebox and have all the mirrors and switch connected up to it.

So lets review that again but with pictures; This is ALL YOU WOULD NEED:

6-pin NON MEMORY Power Folding MIRRORS,

6-pin NON MEMORY Power Folding Mirror SWITCH w/ the 11pin connector T shape style back

and 6-pin NON MEMORY White Box ECU.

2. If you want to add Memory to the mirrors as well on a car that didn't have memory seats originally. You would need a set of MEMORY functioning Seats and get them to work with the car before attempting anything else. In this situation I'm not sure what this would entail.
After that you can get all the 12-pin parts for the mirror.

These would be;

Pair of 12-pin MEMORY Power Folding Mirrors,

12-pin MEMORY Power Folding Mirror SWITCH w/ the 6pin connector back

and both In-Door 12-pin MEMORY/POWER FOLDING Black Box ECUs that goes inside each front door.

if you ask me, I would leave the memory stuff alone and just go for NON MEMORY Folding Mirrors. I have Memory seats and mirrors and it was fun for the first day I had my car. Now I don't even think about Memory Seats anymore but I think about getting my Power Folding Mirrors everyday.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 03-27-2009 at 02:37 AM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #26
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
subscribed
phamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #27
royalratch

What I would LOVE now is just to retrofit memory mirrors. I can live without Power Fold.

I have retrofitted power memory seats and they work fine.

So now what do I need?

12-Pin MEMORY mirror switch + Door Module? The actual mirror and motors themselves don;t change right?

And Auto-Tilt on reverse is taken care of this way too?
Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
toffa

My Ride: 320ci
Send a message via MSN to toffa
Quote:
What I would LOVE now is just to retrofit memory mirrors. I can live without Power Fold.

I have retrofitted power memory seats and they work fine.

So now what do I need?

12-Pin MEMORY mirror switch + Door Module? The actual mirror and motors themselves don;t change right?

And Auto-Tilt on reverse is taken care of this way too?

you need 2 mirror modules and two mirrors and the new switch (it is different beetwen the autofolding without memory and manual folding with memory)
Old 05-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #29
royalratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffa View Post
you need 2 mirror modules and two mirrors and the new switch (it is different beetwen the autofolding without memory and manual folding with memory)
Are you sure I need two new mirrors too?

I can't see how these would be different id all the logic is handled by external modules etc?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:53 PM   #30
toffa

For the mirrors with auto folding you need only one control module n░ 61 35 8 376 506

For the mirrors with auto folding and memory you need two modules n░ 61 35 6 916 054 (and not the 61 35 8 376 506)
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #31
royalratch

But what I really need to know is - if I just want memory without auto folding, do I need new mirrors themselves too?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #32
toffa

I really don't know, sorry
Old 06-01-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
where can i find the motor for a power folding, memory mirror. I have the m3 style ones, and my motor will power fold up with no problems, however when i try to power fold down, the driver side gets stuck and keeps trying to go down, but it clicks and is rather frustrating.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #34
royalratch

Quote:
But what I really need to know is - if I just want memory without auto folding, do I need new mirrors themselves too?
I'll throw the memory modules in and see what happens - I can't think the mirrors would be different as the logic is clearly taken care of by the door modules so the mirror units themselves must be the same.

BUGGER!

ETK shows the motor units as two separate part numbers...

Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #35
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
http://forum.E46Fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679688
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #36
royalratch

Great but not exactly what I'm now after...?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #37
royalratch

Quote:
Bump...?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #38
RIsiaah

My Ride: 330 coupe
Send a message via MSN to RIsiaah
RIsiaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #39
bigwen1

My Ride: BMW 2000 328I w/SP
Send a message via MSN to bigwen1 Send a message via Yahoo to bigwen1 Send a message via Skype™ to bigwen1
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Because we already started a thread about this last October and did extensive research on the BMW E46's Mirrors. Using info compiled from folks and dealerships in the UK, USA and even Austrailia we came up with the jist about power fold mirrors. Here are the three basic rules that apply to both sedans and coupes E46 from 1998 to 2006.

RULE 1:
In the USA Powerfolding Mirrors are NOT and NEVER were an option on the
E46. In the UK Power Fold Mirrors from the E46s to the E90s of today ARE an option.

RULE 2:
For the E46 BMWs they are ONLY 3 TYPES of Powerfolding mirrors made;

1. 1998 to 2002 12 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 has memory seats already to upgrade to this set up all you need are the 12 pin/memory mirrors that power fold and the matching 6 pin/memory power folding mirrors' switch)

2. 1998 to 2002 6 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 does not have memory seats to upgrade to this set up you will need to buy 6 pin/non-memory mirrors that power fold, the corresponding 6 pin/non-memory power folding mirror's switch AND you will need to buy the ECU Power Folding Module-which varies depending on the year of your car)

3. 2002 to 2006 Ribbon Power Folding Mirrors for either MEMORY/NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs. If the car you have falls in these years you need to get the corresponding Power Folding Mirrors that have the Ribbon attachment. You may also need ther components based on the configuration of your BMW.

Power Folding Mirrors ARE NOT readily available in the USA and are usually ordered from the UK/Germany via our Dealerships. Or if you peruse eBay Germany/UK/Sweden you can usually find a set on sale.

RULE 3
Other need to know facts about these BMW Power Folding mirrors is that BMW E46s Sedans and BMW E39s share the same mirrors housings and motors. BMW E46 Coupe & M3 OEM Mirrors are cut different, fold differently (up and not in) and WILL NOT fit on the BMW E46 Sedan. Aftermarket BMW E46 M3 Style Mirrors are made in 6-pin, 12-pin and ribbon kits for all years E46 and E39 Sedans and Power Fold upwards and not inwards.
Whiles these kits are usually plug and play, the power fold options are set up differently than the OEM set up.
I have a question I have a 328I 2000 Sedan with the manuel folding mirrors and power seats. The same setup of your 330Ci I have the brought the mirrors the power folding memory switich "DO YOU KNOW WHAT PART NUMBER THAT IS?" and do I need one of the left and right?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #40
rif325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Because we already started a thread about this last October and did extensive research on the BMW E46's Mirrors. Using info compiled from folks and dealerships in the UK, USA and even Austrailia we came up with the jist about power fold mirrors. Here are the three basic rules that apply to both sedans and coupes E46 from 1998 to 2006.

RULE 1:
In the USA Powerfolding Mirrors are NOT and NEVER were an option on the
E46. In the UK Power Fold Mirrors from the E46s to the E90s of today ARE an option.

RULE 2:
For the E46 BMWs they are ONLY 3 TYPES of Powerfolding mirrors made;

1. 1998 to 2002 12 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 has memory seats already to upgrade to this set up all you need are the 12 pin/memory mirrors that power fold and the matching 6 pin/memory power folding mirrors' switch)

2. 1998 to 2002 6 Pin Power Folding Mirrors for NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs (So if your BMW E46 does not have memory seats to upgrade to this set up you will need to buy 6 pin/non-memory mirrors that power fold, the corresponding 6 pin/non-memory power folding mirror's switch AND you will need to buy the ECU Power Folding Module-which varies depending on the year of your car)

3. 2002 to 2006 Ribbon Power Folding Mirrors for either MEMORY/NON-MEMORY Seat BMWs. If the car you have falls in these years you need to get the corresponding Power Folding Mirrors that have the Ribbon attachment. You may also need ther components based on the configuration of your BMW.

Power Folding Mirrors ARE NOT readily available in the USA and are usually ordered from the UK/Germany via our Dealerships. Or if you peruse eBay Germany/UK/Sweden you can usually find a set on sale.

RULE 3
Other need to know facts about these BMW Power Folding mirrors is that BMW E46s Sedans and BMW E39s share the same mirrors housings and motors. BMW E46 Coupe & M3 OEM Mirrors are cut different, fold differently (up and not in) and WILL NOT fit on the BMW E46 Sedan. Aftermarket BMW E46 M3 Style Mirrors are made in 6-pin, 12-pin and ribbon kits for all years E46 and E39 Sedans and Power Fold upwards and not inwards.
Whiles these kits are usually plug and play, the power fold options are set up differently than the OEM set up.
Hey man, I pretty much have the same setup as you do (manual folding memory set up) Where do you think I should grab the mirrors and switch from? Oh yeah, I just ordered the parts for that BT install. Great stuff man! Thx in advance.
rif325i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto, folding, memory, mirror, power