E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 View Post
Ah i give up.
I put in the exhaust one (mind you the tip is a bit thicker on this after market sensor)
But it fit fine... I couldn't get to the intake one because of the 32mm that i didn't have.

Car did not start.
So next would be the intake one, but i think i'm just going to tow the car.
32mm socket? Isn't that the one to take the lid off of the oil filter canister?

Once the oil canister top is removed, you can get to the single mounting bolt for the Intake Cam Sensor with a 10mm or 12mm (I forget which) socket.

As for doing one as a preventative of a future problem, I'm not sure the thought process is correct. I suppose that when you replace one headlamp, you would replace the other because it's not very far behind. One could employ such an argument to the sensors I suppose, but how many sensors would one replace all at the same time?

THIS IS FOR A DIFFERENT ENGINE, BUT MIGHT SHED SOME LIGHT ON YOUR PROBLEMS
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...8DDD3F2F213C21
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #22
AlpWhitE46

My Ride: 2 BMW's
Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
The 32mm is for the solenoid.. but wont fit the oil cannister.

I took off the intake sensor and nothing.

I think I'm going to check my vanos solenoid.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #23
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 View Post
The 32mm is for the solenoid.. but wont fit the oil cannister.

I took off the intake sensor and nothing.

I think I'm going to check my vanos solenoid.
There are 2 of them: one on the exhaust and one on the intake side. Before spending money on a new one you can take the solenoid apart and make sure the piston does not stick
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
brandonbigdog

My Ride: 01 330ci
well i ended up replacing the vanos seals and nothing has fixed. It has been a few thousand miles so i think that i am going to try and replace the Exhaust CPS and see where that gets me(as soon as i fix the bad front wheel bearing, and water pump and belts that just went out)
brandonbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
jdstrickland

I need a new OBD II Code List because the one I have says that P0014 and P0015 are not valid codes. My list says the first valid code is P0100.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #26
Starless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonbigdog View Post
well i ended up replacing the vanos seals and nothing has fixed. It has been a few thousand miles so i think that i am going to try and replace the Exhaust CPS and see where that gets me(as soon as i fix the bad front wheel bearing, and water pump and belts that just went out)
that sux, keep us updated
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #27
brandonbigdog

well replaced the exhaust cps last night and nothing, i think im going to have to break down and take it in. I would think of checking the exhaust side vanos solenoid but im tired of just throwing money at it! Let you know what they say!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #28
brandonbigdog

well i took it in and all they said was that the vanos test kept aborting and wouldn't let them diagnose it. They quoted me $1400 to put a new one in, and this was an indie shop. I think im going to buy a Dr. Vanos rebuilt unit!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #29
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
In some cases the vanos exhaust solenoid piston can get sticky and cause these issues. Here's how to solve it.
Remove the vanos exhaust solenoid with a 32mm deep socket. Most 32mm deep sockets aren't deep enough for the vanos solenoid. Here is a link where I provide some info on a socket that does work.
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/832599
Under the solenoid is a red spring loaded piston. Press in the piston and release. It should press in with resistance and spring back when released. The piston movement should be smooth. If it's not then this is likely the problem.
Pull out the piston and clean it and it's cylinder with brake cleaner. Spray clean the cylinder with brake cleaner. Oil the piston and cylinder and reinstall the piston. Check its movement.
Reinstall the solenoid.

Another possible problem could be from an aftermarket camshaft position sensor. Aftermarket CPS sensors don't work. You need a BMW or Siemens (OEM vendor) sensor.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #30
brandonbigdog

thanks rajaie, i did buy both of the CPS units from bmw, but i do have the unit out so i will try and test out the solenoid!
Old 12-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #31
Rajaie

Quote:
thanks rajaie, i did buy both of the CPS units from bmw, but i do have the unit out so i will try and test out the solenoid!
No need to test the solenoid. You will receive a code if it fails.
You can damage the solenoid if you test it wrong. You need to make sure you get the polarity correct. There is a diode that is parallel to the coil that prevents reverse current. This can apparently be fried if powered in reverse.

Of course as noted you need to check and clean the solenoid piston and its cylinder.

Let us know what happens.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #32
Starless

Rajaie, I noticed that in some cases these codes (P0014 and P0015) are very stubborn no matter what parts people replace and go away only after a new vanos unit installed. - Would be nice if you could research one of those cases and find our once and for all what the cause is :-)

Btw, I'd be curious what the Peake tool reads in case of OBD II P0014 and P0015 codes. Bmw proper codes are supposed to be so much more precise according to the Peake tool distributers...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #33
Rajaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
Rajaie, I noticed that in some cases these codes (P0014 and P0015) are very stubborn no matter what parts people replace and go away only after a new vanos unit installed. - Would be nice if you could research one of those cases and find our once and for all what the cause is :-)

Btw, I'd be curious what the Peake tool reads in case of OBD II P0014 and P0015 codes. Bmw proper codes are supposed to be so much more precise according to the Peake tool distributers...
The Peake tool will not likely provide more insight.

I believe the two main causes of these codes are the failed seals and sticking solenoid piston.
If someone has done both these repairs and is still having the problem I'm willing to ty and work with them.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
Starless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajaie View Post
The Peake tool will not likely provide more insight.

I believe the two main causes of these codes are the failed seals and sticking solenoid piston.
If someone has done both these repairs and is still having the problem I'm willing to ty and work with them.
You know what, when I fixed those codes I attributed the success to the new seals, but I as a part of the new seals installation I also cleaned the solenoid, so it could be either or, or actually both to Rajaie
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #35
Peake Research
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
I saw the Peake bat signal overhead, I better chime in here!

It's first important to note that our products don't read more-precise versions of the generic OBDII "P" codes. (by the way, I don't mean to imply that you don't already know this) BMW's diagnostic system is 100% separate and unrelated to the OBDII system. Different language, different purpose.

The BMW factory system is designed to relay chassis-specific fault information to dealers and techs. OBDII is designed (and required) to provide state inspection facilities access to certain system and control faults - primarily emissions related. BMW does not rely on OBDII for diagnostics, and therefore continues to maintain its own separate system.

While some BMW codes have similar OBDII codes, there is a reason dealers and techs ignore the generic system. BMW's codes report EXACTLY what the factory wants the car to report in case of an issue. The generic code that gets triggered may or may not be a close representation of that fault.

Translation tables sometimes make things worse, because they use the generic code and definition as the starting point and then offer the nearest BMW code as the 'conversion'. The factory definition is not seen in most of these tables.

You'll see us and our retailers here on the forums preaching this fact because Peake Tools are simply the fastest, easiest, and most affordable way to read the BMW codes. Our tools read the factory system, offering the chassis specific code from the start. No guesswork, no translation.

ken.h@peakeresearch.com if anyone has questions about our products.

Ken
Peake Research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #36
brandonbigdog

It seems like it was a combination of a few things, the seals were bad, the exhaust solenoid was bad, and the vanos internal bearings seem to be shot because when i shake it, it rattles(cant be good). I went ahead and bought a reman-unit with the new style o-rings and new solenoids and it solved all my problems. Thanks again Rajaie!
Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #37
Rajaie

Quote:
It seems like it was a combination of a few things, the seals were bad, the exhaust solenoid was bad, and the vanos internal bearings seem to be shot because when i shake it, it rattles(cant be good). I went ahead and bought a reman-unit with the new style o-rings and new solenoids and it solved all my problems. Thanks again Rajaie!
Thanks for the update. Congrats on the repair.

All the vanos units have loose piston bearings. They were manufactured this way. This will not likely cause these codes.

How do you know the solenoid is failed? You should get a code if the solenoid is failed.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #38
brandonbigdog

It was just a sticky solenoid, you were correct! But i am still having problems with power surges around 2-3k, and also the car has died a few times when coming to a stop and putting in the clutch. Haven't had any weird bobbing idle or try to die any other times. Any ideas? Neither of these are new, i was hoping that they would have gone away with the new unit!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #39
brandonbigdog

now that i got all of that fixed, im getting p0172 p0313 p0175 p0313. It tries to die every once in a while when i put the clutch in and seems to be getting more frequent up to multiple times a day, and it is also power surging anywhere from 1-3k after i take off from a stop!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #40
jdstrickland

Quote:
now that i got all of that fixed, im getting p0172 p0313 p0175 p0313. It tries to die every once in a while when i put the clutch in and seems to be getting more frequent up to multiple times a day, and it is also power surging anywhere from 1-3k after i take off from a stop!
P0172 and P0175 mean SYSTEM RICH, BANK 1 & BANK 2 (respectively). P0313 is MISFIRE DETECTED WITH LOW FUEL.

I can't tie these codes together, it seems to me that SYSTEM RICH and LOW FUEL would not occur at the same time.