E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
BimmerMOE

My Ride: 2001 325i
Exclamation Headlight/Blinker False indication sensor light ON

HI,

I have a 01 e46 325i sedan.

The issue im having is now when i use the (LEFT) turn signal the Blinker flashes like 5Xs faster then its supposed to compared to the (Right) turn signal.

Normally this is caused by 1 of the blinker bulbs not working.

However i checked all the blinkers (Front, side marker & rear) and they all flash. They are not burnt out at all....so i turned the car OFF & ON, check lighting fuses and all and still could not find anything.

The front Turn signal is an LED amber light, Side is regular bulb, Rear has been upgraded to LED taillights.

Please advise on what i can check for to fix this situation.

*On a side note*
1 of my CCFL rings on the drivers side has been burnt out for a while already but i don't think that's the problem as the ring has been burnt out for like 1month already before this blinking problem ever occured.

Also when I turn on my headlights both the Taillight indication (Left/Right) lights come ON saying they are burnt out even thou they blink/light up just fine.

Please advise.

Thank You so much for your guys help.
BimmerMOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
eosco

My Ride: 325
Are both your front turn signals LED?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Do you have resistors hooked up to the front LED turn signal?
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
BimmerMOE

yes both Left/right are LEDs

Resistors......I Honestly dont know....I bought the car the way it is, i haven't touch a thing since i got it and its never had this problem tll nowi
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
take the front turn signal bulb out and clean the contacts in the socket. also try using a flat the pry up the prong. see if that helps any. it could just be loose or something

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
HELLAS NC

My Ride: 03 320Diesel Tractor
The LED is causing the 'light out' warning. Either add resistors to the lines, get normal bulbs or get LED blinkers that already got resistors.

I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
HELLAS NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
eosco

My Ride: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMOE View Post
yes both Left/right are LEDs

Resistors......I Honestly dont know....I bought the car the way it is, i haven't touch a thing since i got it and its never had this problem tll nowi
check the wire taps connected to the resistors.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #8
BimmerMOE

I think I found the issue.

Seems as if thou the Front left LED light had some burnt out LEDs causing the indicator for the front left turn signal to trip the sensor.

I will replace them and keep you guys updated so if anyone might run into the same problem they can refer to this thread as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010535.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	302702   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010536.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	302703   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010537.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	302704  
Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 AM   #9
BimmerMOE

Thumbs Up

Finally fixed the issue.

Turns out I had 3 problems.

Front left turn signal indicator light and also both rear taillight indicators were ON saying there was a problem with the lighting.

For the front turn signal it was 2 problems.....
#1 LED BULB had 6 burnt out LEDs
#2 Bumper turn signal bulb was burnt out (I have a CSL bumper so i never knew there was bumper signal lights on the original bumper till i dug into the front end of the car and discovered there was 2 bulbs just sitting inside the front)

Rear taillights indicators were also ON saying there was a problem with the rear lights.

Problem was my License plate LED lights.

3 of the LEDs on each of the license bulb lights were burnt out causing the trip on the dash board.

Total repair cost $35 to replace all bulbs......Finally got ride of the dash board lights that were ON every time i drove the car...it drove me crazy seeing i ON all the time but now its all gone and fixed hahaha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010243.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	303547   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010548.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	303548  
Old 02-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #10
Delgadokd

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a post and i was having the same problems! i forgot all about the license plate bulbs!!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
BimmerMOE

Yup, hahah.....I had forgotten all about the lic plate lights as well because i check the common stuff my rear blinkers were working, taillights/brake lights were working perfectly so i was stumped. I never thought LIC plate lights would set it off but sure enough it was the issue with mine.

My lic plate lights had turned into STROBE LIGHTS because they were going bad......and i didn't want to attract attention from the (Cops) hahah

Hope this thread helps some of the fanatics out from tearing into the car when it could be a simple fix (Hopefully).

****IMPORTANT NOTE for LED LIGHTS****

Even thou my LED lights were functioning (My left turn LED signal and LIC plate LED) where still messed up as you can see in the pictures so make sure you closely look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgadokd View Post
I have a post and i was having the same problems! i forgot all about the license plate bulbs!!