E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
babin28

My Ride: 318SE
Idle Control Valve essential???

Hi,

Basically i think my ide control valve is to be playing up (what i get after looking at other threads). Every now and again on a cold start-up, i have to top up the revs to stop the car from dying, but after that it is totally fine, even if i stop the car at the end of the road, it will idle nicely around 800rpm. It is annoying, but it doesn't happen that often so doesn't affect me too much. I am pretty confident that it isn't anything else because there is no lack of power and no other problems.

1. Will it damage the car if i leave it? (money is a bit tight at the moment so am trying to avoid any unnecessary expense)

2. How can i test to see if it is anyfin else?

Cheers in advance
babin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
EvilGenius
Banned User

My Ride: '02 BMW 330Ci
The title of your post frightened me there for a moment, thinking you were going to REMOVE your idle control valve! It sounds like your valve is just getting a little sticky. It's a normal thing. With a couple of hours of spare time, you can pull it out, give it a good cleaning and pop it back in and it will likely make your car idle like its brand new again. While you have everything apart, check your intake boot as that little tube that plugs into the ICV is probably developing cracks with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babin28 View Post
Hi,

Basically i think my ide control valve is to be playing up (what i get after looking at other threads). Every now and again on a cold start-up, i have to top up the revs to stop the car from dying, but after that it is totally fine, even if i stop the car at the end of the road, it will idle nicely around 800rpm. It is annoying, but it doesn't happen that often so doesn't affect me too much. I am pretty confident that it isn't anything else because there is no lack of power and no other problems.

1. Will it damage the car if i leave it? (money is a bit tight at the moment so am trying to avoid any unnecessary expense)

2. How can i test to see if it is anyfin else?

Cheers in advance
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
banner666

My Ride: e46
give it a good clean with some carb cleaner,should do the job.
banner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #4
E36graduate

My Ride: //M3
dont wait until it locks up on you and leaves you stranded in LIMP mode ! !
Old 02-15-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
Joey325Ci

My Ride: 03 325CI & 74 2002
As has been said already, remove it from the car, give it a good cleaning with brake/carb cleaner, once your done cleaning it you should be able to hear it clicking freely, and make sure its dry before you re install it. Much better than buying a new one, they can be a little pricey.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
i'm hving the same problem.... it just randomly stalls on me and i have to give way too much gas to keep it alive, only when cold.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
babin28

My Ride: 318SE
Thanks everyone for the advice, I am going to give it a good clean this weekend and hopefully it should be alright from now on
babin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
I have been getting the exact same symptoms on my 5er. Cleaned the ICV (helped a little with the speed of the idle, increased it a little bit, but that's it), changed the O2 sensor, but the problem remains.

The cause as found by my mechanic is a vacuum leak from the throttle body gasket in between the throttle body and the intake control valve, which is a breeze to replace. The part (few bucks) is in order and I will be replacing it this weekend. To check for the vacuum leaks, get a bottle of engine starter fluid and spray it in different places on your engine while it is running. You'll notice a significant drop/raise in your RPM when you catch one.

Do this before you clean your ICV as it can be a pain in the arse without the results you're after. Good luck.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #9
-RedLine-

My Ride: 02 bmw 325ci sport
What product is recommended to clean the ICV and while i'm at it i might as well clean my MAF what do you guys recommend for products?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
like the fellas said carb cleaner, not sure if you can use brake cleaner. And cleaning the MAF does make a slight difference
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
like the fellas said carb cleaner, not sure if you can use brake cleaner. And cleaning the MAF does make a slight difference
The difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner is that carb cleaner leaves a lubricating residue whereas brake cleaner leaves no residue.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #12
TX_Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
The difference between carb cleaner and brake cleaner is that carb cleaner leaves a lubricating residue whereas brake cleaner leaves no residue.
Good to know info, and on that note make sure you use MAF cleaner to clean the MAF.

How hard is the IAC to get to?
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Good to know info, and on that note make sure you use MAF cleaner to clean the MAF.

How hard is the IAC to get to?
You mean ICV? It's quite difficult because of the weird location (under the intake manifold).

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/6MT - Sold
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SlickTop/5MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
There is also throttle body cleaner which is supposed to contain less of the chemicals that can foul sensors. Your call whether to use that or carb cleaner.

When I took mine out (was doing PCV), it was entirely black with soot and carbon. I could barely move the valve with my finger. Once I started cleaning it, I was amazed to find the actual moving part of the valve free-wheels when you spin the ICV body left and right in your hand. Mine was so gunked up it seemed like it was rigid. The cleaning solved every idle problem i ever had, as well as helped my car start up much easier on cold mornings (went from 3 cranks to 1.5)

When you have it out, spray the cleaner in it, move the valve around with your finger, and youll see it starts to get extremely lose. Then just fill it up with carb cleaner and spin it back and forth, dump out the sooty cleaner and repeat til it drips out clean.

You may also want to clean the DISA valve when your in there.. its only two torx bolts and it comes out, use the same cleaner to clean it up. It will also give you a bit more room to see the ICV. You may want to use some type of RTV sealant when you put it back in. I did because mine wasnt tight enough to be sure it wouldnt leak.

I went a bit further and took out the actual throttle bottle for a bit of a cleaning as well. You will see when you're in there that it only takes 4 bolts to get the ICV out as well.

Run your hands on the PCV lines under the manifold when everything is out... look for brittle areas of pipe or leaking oil.

Also- Finally- look down on top of the crank-portion of the engine for oil pooling there. If so, its your PCV or Oil Gasket Housing (I've done both). Now is the best time to see in there

Last edited by easyIsle; 05-28-2009 at 01:22 PM.
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #15
-RedLine-

Can i just use the MaF cleaner to clean the ICV?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
I dont see why not .. if its safe enough to be sprayed in the intake on the MAF, i would assume its ok for use on the ICV as well.

I would just make sure ita ll evaporates before you put the ICV back in and you should be ok.

It just might not clean as well as the other cleaners, though
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #17
-RedLine-

Ya i just went out and bought Gunk throttle body cleaner and it listed on it that you can clean your idle control sensors, that was after i used the maf cleaner on it which cleaned it up a bit but not nearly as good as the actual throttle body cleaner.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #18
TX_Bullet

ok.....cleaned the ICV this past to now find that the car is running like sh*t now. Sometimes it will stall and the peake's tool is telling me I got a misfire on 1 and 5 also saying something with my pre-cat o2 sensors.

The only thing I can think of is vanos and/or CPS.
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #19
TX_Bullet

Just a word of advice......don't use this stuff. I didn't see the small print on the back saying " Not recommended for fuel injected vehicles, use Gum out Air Intake and Throttle Body cleaner"

So is it possible that my error caused all these codes(According to the Peakes R5 FX3 tool):

Table 15

97- Pre Cat 02 Short to ground Cyl#1-3
9A- Pre Cat 02 Short to ground Cyl#4-6
E3- 02 Sensor adaption limit Cyl#1-3
A8- Thermostat jammed open
E4- 02 Sensor adaption limit Cyl#4-6
CA- 02 Sensor control limit Cyl#1-3
C8- 02 Sensor control limit Cyl#4-6
EE- Misfire Cyl#1
F2- Misfire Cyl#5
F0- Misfire Cyl#3

All these codes were created within a 24 hour after I reset it yesterday.
Could the cleaner have f*cked that much stuff? Can I just go back in there with the proper cleaner and problem fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00048.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	318584  
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
on the ICV, the little thing that spins... is it supposed to spin freely?

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, idle, problem, start, valve