E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #21
TX_Bullet

My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Yes, that is what needs to adjust, mine was jammed before cleaning. And it actually doesn't spin it just turns back and forth.
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 AM   #22
beingdevious
Apple Jews

Location: Drunk onthe Beach.. Official 4ngiefest.com Techie Go to: 4ngiefest.com/donate Needs: to leave the computer Status: ///Pantless
My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via AIM to beingdevious Send a message via Skype™ to beingdevious
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Yes, that is what needs to adjust, mine was jammed before cleaning. And it actually doesn't spin it just turns back and forth.
cool. i was always curious about that and never got a clear answer.
thanks

On a scale from 0 to 24...wait, 3 to 24, where 6 is the lowest and 12 is the highest, how freaking high re you right now?

She's got you high, and you don't even know yet.
beingdevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyIsle View Post
There is also throttle body cleaner which is supposed to contain less of the chemicals that can foul sensors. Your call whether to use that or carb cleaner.
I've never quoted myself before. But that was my understanding. Carb cleaner .. not good for the advanced sensors in our engines. I also heard somewhere that it can deteriorate the plastics over time (lots of plastic in/around our engine)

You might want to try seafoam in a vacuum hose (?). It will make your car smoke lke crazy for 5 minutes but its supposed to emulsify/liquify all the nasty carbon and help it get out the engine. Maybe it can get out some of the chemicals that are causing you problems (if thats the reason) I've used it in injected cars before (ford modular V8 in two different cars) and it definitely didnt hurt anything.
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #24
easyIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
So is it possible that my error caused all these codes(According to the Peakes R5 FX3 tool):
Are you 100% postive you had no stored codes before you did this cleaning?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #25
TX_Bullet

Seafoam is the greatest stuff!!!! I use to work at a car shop and I would charge people $30 to do the fuel injection cleaning with Seafoam, everyone loved the results. Last time I cleaned the system was with B&G fuel injection cleaner(through the IVY bottle).

I think what I'm going to do is re-do the ICV cleaning with throttle body cleaner.

Another thing, when I pulled the DISA out it had some gunk on it that I cleaned with that carb cleaner. What does the DISA do?

If the redo cleaning doesn't work I will have no choice but to seafoam the car and flush all that sh*t out of it.
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #26
TX_Bullet

Quote:
Are you 100% postive you had no stored codes before you did this cleaning?
The only code that always pops up is the thermostat being jammed open, everything else is new to me.

The car has never ran this bad, it idle real rough, the car shakes and some times stalls. She didn't like that cleaner
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #27
matterhorn

My Ride: 2000 328i
I would never use regular carb cleaner for fuel injected engines... like someone said before, they aren't safe for sensors in our cars. I would never use brake cleaner either personally... stick with a maf/throttle body cleaner, and you should be fine, or seafoam it as that stuff is great.
matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
I used the Throttle body cleaner for the ICV.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #29
dh0licious

My Ride: '01 325i Sedanx0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by cngzsn View Post
I have been getting the exact same symptoms on my 5er. Cleaned the ICV (helped a little with the speed of the idle, increased it a little bit, but that's it), changed the O2 sensor, but the problem remains.

The cause as found by my mechanic is a vacuum leak from the throttle body gasket in between the throttle body and the intake control valve, which is a breeze to replace. The part (few bucks) is in order and I will be replacing it this weekend.
Would you be able to tell me hte part # for this intake boot? I assume it's not the often discussed intake 'accordion' boot that leads to the MAF is it?
dh0licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #30
TX_Bullet

I'm not sure what part he is referring to between the TS and ICV.

Anyways......try this link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...12&hg=13&fg=15
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #31
easyIsle

not sure which is beng referred to...

#5 here is the intake boot. Goes between throttle body, ICV and intake. yes this is what everyone talks about deteriorating and causing an intake leak

and then there is this gasket for the ICV into the intake manifold, #10.

I replaced both on my car when I was in there for something else (neither needed to be, just preventative)
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #32
easyIsle

to a poster above.. Disa valve:
Quote:
DISA: Differentiated intake system

On the differentiated intake system there is a connecting valve between the intake pipes. This is closed when the engine is turning at low speeds to create high torque due to the long intake distance. When the engine is turning faster the valve opens – to produce a short intake distance and therefore more torque and power.

DISA uses a physical phenomenon – when the length of the intake pipe has been adjusted to the engine speed, a “reboosting effect” is created by the vibrating air column before the inlet valve closes. This optimises the torque in both the lower and the upper engine speed range.

Advantages

Conventional engines have a fixed intake distance, which cannot be altered. However, optimal torque values can only be achieved with a long intake distance at low engine speeds and a short intake distance for a fast turning engine. Optimising this for low engine speeds would therefore result in reduced power in the upper engine speed range.

This is where the DISA comes into it – when the engine is turning slowly it provides a long intake distance and when it is turning faster it switches to the shorter intake distance. This means high torque and high power at all times.
if faulty, it should not cause driveability issues. It would only lower your power. Unless, of course, the gasket for it is letting air leak into the intake unmetered. You should seal it back in with sensor safe RTV to eliminate that problem
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #33
TX_Bullet

Quote:
not sure which is beng referred to...

#5 here is the intake boot. Goes between throttle body, ICV and intake. yes this is what everyone talks about deteriorating and causing an intake leak

and then there is this gasket for the ICV into the intake manifold, #10.

I replaced both on my car when I was in there for something else (neither needed to be, just preventative)
ok so i need to re do this cleaning process, inspect that boot and put sensor safe rtv on the DISA. I will follow all this with a seafoam clean to get all that sh*tty cleaner out.

Also, the #10 gasket you replaced, is that for precaution or they are wear items.
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #34
easyIsle

I dont think they are normally replaced- not a wear item.

I read somewhere it couldnt hurt to replace, so I bought it (only $12). I didnt want to have to go in there again so I popped it in. The old one looked fine.

What it does is seal between the ICV and the intake manifold. When you pop out the ICV, the grommet remains in the intake
Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #35
TX_Bullet

Gotcha
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #36
TX_Bullet

Well I found something out the hard way about that #10 gasket that connects to the ICV. Apparently when I installed the ICV after i cleaned it the other day I pushed the gasket half way inside, meaning.........a very bad vacuum leak.

I dam near sh*t my pants when I realized and had pushed it inside the intake manifold. Luckily......some how I was able to get it out with my fingers.

That #10 gasket looks nothing like the picture shows, the one on my car was in a "L" shape.

So I re-cleaned the ICV put everything back together, reset the computer and now......

She runs like a charm again!!!!! No rough idle or stalling

So word to the next guy.....Take the gasket out
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #37
easyIsle

glad it was a free fix. Sometimes feeling stupid is a welcomed thing, right?

For the record, mine was also the L shape. i Think the picture just shows what "would' be sticking out of the IM normally
Old 06-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #38
-RedLine-

My Ride: 02 bmw 325ci sport
Yes it is supposed to swing back and fourth freely.

I used GUNK intake medic throttle body cleaner and it says on the bottle "used to clean idle control valves".
This stuff definitely did the trick and the car runs a lot better at idle, and cleaning the MAF helped a lot as well, i recommend doing both at the same time and your supposed to clean the MAF routinely, like every oil change.

Just make sure when you do this, all the hose clamps and hoses are properly put back and tightened.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #39
shaunnorth

My Ride: bmw e46 318i
what is the location of the icv

hi guys i kinda have the same problem but my car does no stall when cold but when it rains the my iding goes from 500 rpm -900 rpm and the stable later is this icv issue?
shaunnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #40
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
If you are starting the car cold and then it just dies, then you start it back up and it runs fine, Fuel Filter is most likely the culprit. I had this on my car, replaced it and problem went away. Other members on here have had similar results. Next time you start it, leave the key in the On position for a few seconds to let the fuel pump run, then start the car. If it no longer stalls look into that.

Edit - just noticed you fixed the prob, nice work.

Lately I have a new bug where occasionally when I start it cold it will hiccup for a moment then run fine. Every time it gets cold something new peeks its head. Could be Vanos related, I've been meaning to do those seals. I'll prolly just change out the fuel pump relay first, last year my Secondary Air Pump really burnt out so it's very possible my fuel pump relay may also be going bad, cheap preventative maintenance if anything else.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 12-02-2009 at 02:50 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control, idle, problem, start, valve