E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Doug330XI

My Ride: 2003 330XI 5sp MT
GT1 kits from China

Has anyone had success with these GT1 kits from china? There are a bunch on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-G...motiveQ5fTools

Doug
Doug330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
http://www.peakeresearch.com/
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ous View Post
If you've got any questions about the Peake tools, shoot me an email - ken@bimmertools.com.

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Doug330XI

My RDC control unit for the Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) system has been ruled faulty by the dealer. I want to be able to recode the replacement unit. From what I can tell only GT1 can do this. I'm planning on keeping the car for a while and figure GT1 (on ebay) will pay for itself in dealer visits, considering the last diagnostic check was over $100 and left with out anything being fixed.

Here is the setup:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...84&hg=36&fg=15

Last edited by Doug330XI; 02-13-2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

For most owners who are maintaining one or two street cars, the need for bi-directional communication and programming is relatively low. This is also typically true for the need to access diagnostic modules outside of basic ECU/engine trouble codes or airbag issues. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but the chance that instances of these needs adding up to cover the cost of proper equipment to handle these tasks is fairly slim.

Unsupported (unlicensed) equipment and diagnostic modules are abundant online. I've heard of good results, and I've heard of problems ranging from communication issues to completely useless products. I'm not familiar with the seller linked, nor can I say anything good or bad about any particular source for 'knock off' products. Authentic, licensed GT1 units cost 10x the listed price on that auction.

The majority of BMW owners willing to diagnose and work on their own car prefer a simple, hand-held, plug-and-play tool like the Peake scanners. They read BMW Specific codes, not OBDII (or "extended OBDII" so-called manufacturer specific codes). They read directly from the factory diagnostic module and provide the same code results the dealer sees. For $139.95, one saved trip to the dealer for a check engine light diagnosis nearly pays for the tool - let alone the theoretical cost of your time and convenience.

The tools, however, will not allow bi-directional programming, nor access to ancillary modules (ABS/DSC/Transmission, etc...). However, these represent a fraction of real-world needs the typical Do It Yourselfer will encounter.

Couple this with Peake's twenty year track record as a trusted and dedicated BMW-only manufacturer, it's difficult to see why the TYPICAL BMW owner would choose any other product.

As noted above, ken@bimmertools if you have any questions about these products.

Good luck!

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Doug330XI

Yeah, the practical side of me is saying just get a basic scanner, but then again, by owning a BMW my friends would argue I'm not very practical in the first place. So why start now......LOL

Yeah, you're right, for most maintenance issues the scanner would be sufficient. But a working GT1 means, for the most part, dealership freedom......FREEDOM! I'm so tired of dealers ripping me off. I'm an Electrical Engineer, not having complete access to my car's electrical system is driving me crazy.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Even for engineers, I recommend reduced risk and buy it from anywhere but ebay, and only with a creditcard where a charge back is possible. If it doesn't work, then the money is completely thrown away, and ebay will run you in circles until you go away.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #8
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Having a system like that may keep you dealership-free with regard to diagnostics/programming - but do you have the ability to repair EVERYTHING the extended diagnostic capabilities would reveal? With the rarity of needing this level of electronic communication for one car, it is far more likely that mechanical issues will outweigh any diagnostic savings with that setup.

For me, I'd avoid a large investment in a questionable product that will (most likely) ultimately wind up performing the same duties as a simple scan tool. However, expanding my capabilities to perform other repairs and maintenance will save me more trips to a mechanic than electronic connectivity. Hard tools, jacks, stands, specialty equipment, etc..., are all things that would provide mechanical independence.

Have a look through the pages on this forum. You'll find a mountain of questions, concerns, advice, and articles relating to mechanical issues that don't involve the need for sophisticated diagnostic tools. Suspension, bushings, driveline components, brakes - all things that are wear items that you'll certainly face as a long term owner.

Granted, I'm making the assumption that you don't already have a garage full of tools and manuals to get these jobs done. If that's the case, an advanced computer would be a cool add on. If not, though - see above!

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Gl with those I know many shops that bough some and they didn't work off the bat or came in Russian or another language!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
get a Bentley Manual and the Peake Tool. That combined with the knowledge base of this forum and your money...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...108&highlight=

The tool I am testing may be able to do that I have not ried on an E46 yet I will let you know

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
Doug330XI

Yeah, seems to be the recurring theme with these cheap GT1 kits on Ebay.

Being completely mechanically independent is one expensive proposition. What I need is a good mom and pop shop alternative for doing those things out of reach for DIY.

Anybody know of a good BMW shop in Central Pennsylvania?

What is the best place for renting BMW specialty tools?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:35 AM   #13
Doug330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...108&highlight=

The tool I am testing may be able to do that I have not ried on an E46 yet I will let you know
Yes, please let me know! The Tire Pressure System - RDC has been and will continue to be a maintenance issue for me. Especially if these wheel electronics modules only have a battery life of 5 years. Would be interested in any tool capable of re-coding this system.

Still, has anybody personally had success with the GT1 units being sold on ebay from China?

Last edited by Doug330XI; 02-13-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug330XI View Post
Yes, please let me know! The Tire Pressure System - RDC has been and will continue to be a maintenance issue for me. Especially if these wheel electronics modules only have a battery life of 5 years. Would be interested in any tool capable of re-coding this system.

Still, has anybody personally had success with the GT1 units being sold on ebay from China?
other problem is GT1 is dead and no longer used by dealers after march. BMW build new modules that only accept coding from current tools so GT1 will no longer code older control modules after a certain point

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #15
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Your best bet is to buy a pass through tool for about 800 and then log onto BMWtis.com everything you need to do something you have a full GT! with all options. Its $30 for 24 hour access

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #16
Doug330XI

Quote:
Your best bet is to buy a pass through tool for about 800 and then log onto BMWtis.com everything you need to do something you have a full GT! with all options. Its $30 for 24 hour access
Cool, First I've heard of this. What is the pass through tool and where do I get it?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #17
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/downlo...grammingV4.htm

there you go get one of those kits and $30 everytime you need code or program a module

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
Doug330XI

Is this the future if diagnostic software? Are BMW dealers changing to this system as well? Seems to me it's a lot easier to maintain one up to date database this way.

Also, which pass thru kit went for 800?

For the ones listed on bmwtis.com prices online seemed to be about

I+ME Actia - PassThru+ XS $1096 US
Snap-On - Pass Thru Pro $1595 US
ProgRama Inc.- PC Retriever $1072

Doug
Old 02-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Ok well prices have gone up been two years since I checked on those prices sorry! Still affordable tools. Plus they are legit and backed By BMW.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #20
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Ok well prices have gone up been two years since I checked on those prices sorry! Still affordable tools. Plus they are legit and backed By BMW.
someones back