E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
LOL been back for a while, Just have less time been teaching alot of BMW training classes and the shops been realy busy!! Not to mention Snowmobile racing in the winter consumes alot of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	corn.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	302534   Click image for larger version

Name:	corn1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	302535  

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #22
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Did you figure out what your gonna do?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #23
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I have been looking for a diagnostic kit as well. Carsoft looked promising. With the Peake tools, you need one for engine and one for airbags. The total cost of the Peake tools would make Carsoft look attractive. Carsoft appears to have programming capabilities as well.

If car to PC hardware interfacing parts are cheap and easily available and information on the interfacing protocol is available, I would have no trouble DIY program myself a diagnostics tool.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #24
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Don't get carsoft!!! Wait till I am done beta testing this other tool it will be much better.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 02-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #25
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vI6ous View Post
get a Bentley Manual and the Peake Tool. That combined with the knowledge base of this forum and your money...
Abso*uckinlootly!!! What he said ^
TxTorqueMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #26
shwagon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Definitely subscribing to this thread!!! Tools that carry functions like component activations, and reading faults from individual modules are very effective in diagnosing electrical problems in BMW's. Bus systems are used heavily and signal paths can go though many different modules.
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #27
Doug330XI

My Ride: 2003 330XI 5sp MT
I think I will buy a new "tire pressure control- RDC" unit, install it, and then take it to the dealer to recode. I haven't found a local mom and pop shop capable of recoding yet in the Central PA area.

Meanwhile I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a pass thru kit to use with www.bmwtis.com

Also, does anyone know how long BWM will continue to update E46 documentation and software? If GT1 is about to be discontinued, but no significant updates for the E46 exist beyond GT1, then maybe GT1 would be ok?

Also, what is GT1 and DIS being replaced with? OPS and SSS?

I was thinking with GT1 being discontinued there might be some good deals on line soon.

And I am not interested in a basic diagnostic scanner. There are tons of threads about that. I am interested in being able to recode proprietary BMW auxiliary systems.

Last edited by Doug330XI; 02-18-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Doug330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #28
Doug330XI

My Ride: 2003 330XI 5sp MT
I just replaced the $260 "tire pressure control- RDC" unit per the dealers $150 diagnosis. My tire light still came on after 6 minutes of driving. So I brought it back to the dealer. They said it needed to be recoded. Yet after recoding they identify a tire pressure sensor in one of the wheels as being bad as well. So I ask them to replace that and then to put the old "tire pressure control-RDC" unit back in to verify that was in fact faulty. They replaced the bad tire pressure sensor, but refused to change out the new module for the old.

So i tell them to hold my paperwork, I go out to the car. Changed the control module out myself, recalibrated the tire pressure system, and after 25 minutes of driving the light remained off (Before I could only get it to stay off for 6 minutes tops). So THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY RDC CONTROL UNIT!

In their original diagnosis they found a fault on the RIGHT FRONT tire pressure sensor. So they swapped the front two tires, but then apparently forgot to recalibrate the system (required after tire rotation). So although the RIGHT FRONT tire is now moved to the LEFT FRONT, the tire pressure sensor ID is still assigned as being RIGHT FRONT. So they assumed the control module's right front channel was faulty, when in fact it was the tire pressure module assigned as RIGHT FRONT that was faulty.

So now i have a brand new RDC control unit that I cannot return because it is an electronics item from ECS Tuning. And worse yet, after research from BERU, the company that manufactures the system for BMW, I don't believe the "tire pressure control-RDC" unit needed to be coded in the first place. A simple press of the tire recalibration button is all that is needed.

See the last condition on item 8
http://www.beru.com/download/produkt...tung_tss_e.pdf

See page 12 for recalibration
http://www.beru.com/download/produkt...rung_tss_e.pdf

Furious, I was able to get BMW to cover all additional labor to get the system working for free, but they still wouldn't admit to the faulty diagnosis. I just wish there was some indication on the dash as to the status of each tire pressure sensor. I would be able to diagnose the faulty tire myself that way. Unfortunately, GT1 is the only program I know of currently, that can give a live read out of battery life, temperature, pressure, and communications status of each tire pressure sensor. Had the car been a 7 series, I'ld be able to get a live readout on the I-drive display.

Bottom line, Dealers do not see very many E46 cars with the RDC tire pressure system, and as such, take a long time to diagnose the system, and then often get it wrong.

Last edited by Doug330XI; 03-14-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Doug330XI is offline   Reply With Quote