E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
lackingmind

My Ride: 01' 325ci
325 UUC flywheel/M5 clutch upgrade

I thought I was doing good babying the clutch on my 01 325 went it decided to let loose today. The few weeks or more I thought I had to pick out a new clutch turned into an immediate must.

I narrowed my choices to the JB LWFW/Clutchmasters FX100 or the UUC stage 2/ M5 or organic.. After a discussion with the ever so helpful Rob from UUC I reluctantly handed over those credit digits.

So now I have the stage 2 aluminum UUC LWFW and the M5 sach unit on the way, as well as their stainless clutch line. I hope this was a good choice as my car is a daily driver that the only upgrades will be an opened exhaust and intake other than these mods.

Rob is sending me the appropriately weighted oils to relieve the gear chatter and I am picking up a new pivot pin from the local stealership. Is there anything else I am missing? I know when I get inside there and have a look I may need a few little pieces.

What fluid is recommended for my clutch line?

Oh yeah car has low miles (40K) and 'No' I wasn't the clutch killer.. I just stole it..

(edit) exhaust gaskets----2

Last edited by lackingmind; 02-17-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: addin shite
lackingmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
greentrbo95gst

My Ride: Blown E46, DSM, KAWI
Send a message via AIM to greentrbo95gst
The gears don't chatter. Are you talking about about clutch/flywheel chatter?
2011 BMW 335D
2001 BMW AA SC'd
2009 Suzuki Gsx-R
2006 BMW x5 4.8is(RIP)
2005 Acura TSX
732 AWHP AWD Eclipse.....Enuff said.

greentrbo95gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
lackingmind

indeed sir... i also put went instead of when.. haha..
Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Actually, there's a big writeup on UUC's page that correctly calls it "gear rattle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
The gears don't chatter. Are you talking about about clutch/flywheel chatter?
I'd also do the spring, consider a new fork, and the pilot bearing. While you're there, it's the best time in the world to do your rear main seal.

Your clutch line shares a reservoir with your brakes. Use the same fluid. Good time to bleed your brakes, too.

Last edited by aggieE46; 02-18-2009 at 06:53 AM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
lackingmind

Tanks.. Aggie..

I'm not planning on touching the rear main seal unless it's weeping.. With 40K on it I'm hoping it will hold out till next clutch if I still have the car.

My pilot bearing is the same regardless of my clutch/flywheel setup, correct? I will try the greasepack removal method.

I was planning on doing the brakes at the same time. I have new pads and was kinda on the fence on the rotors/lines. I think they can hold for another set of pads.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Your 01 only has 40k on it? You're making me feel bad.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
lackingmind

Haha.. Not by my choice. I'll get some pics up soon but it was someone's play car and they were a lil' rough with it. So I gave them a 'few' dollars and am looking to make a nice little street tracker out of it. I am excited to feel the difference of the flywheel and the sprung clutch. Then it's time to mod the airbox, build a exhaust, get it sitting low and riding tight.

I should have the car apart this weekend, clutch in monday, and an initial review next week.

I need to get to the stealership..... pivot pin, 2 exhaust gaskets, pilot bearing, and maybe the shift fork...

Almost forgot I plan on removing the clutch delay valve is there any downsides to this somewhat normal mod?
Old 02-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
lackingmind

OK.. So I should be on here today talking about my new clutch but alas I am without. Seems after Rob reassured me that my order would ship out day of, only half of it did. I can understand a day or 2 delay with drop shipping a product you personally don't have in hand but you should let your customer know. After numerous calls today I finally received tracking numbers so I could figure out wtf was up. Well great to know that yes 1/2 my order shipped day of, the other half didn't ship for another 3 days when I had received the rest of my order already. So here I am with 1/2 the parts to install. TY UUC you may have great parts but your customer service and sales are not up to par.

Do your customers a favor and inform them of the situation. I did enjoy the call back from shipping about receiving my parts after I had left a message, but then to say yeah I'll call you back with tracking and not hear anything. Then the next day say, oh well call tomorrow for tracking numbers in the morning but it should be there then. NO it's not. It hasn't even left the state I ordered it from 5 days ago. If I would have known this would be an extra week to get your parts I would have maybe purchased your flywheel and got the factory M5 unit myself elsewhere, probably cheaper.

Sorry I may rave later about your parts and your technical knowledge was great. But today I'm sure ranting about your inability to be upfront with your customers to get an immediate sale.