E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #261
bmwwksmarc
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 M3,89 M3........
There is no specified torque as the drive only comes with the cams as opposed to the M50/S50 where you can buy the vanos drive gear. That sees a torque of 40nm with a torque angle of 60*
So it's pretty interesting to find out what kind of torque you used to fasten the drive. I guess you could use the standard setting for an 8?mm bolt (I've never had the drive out of a M54), but I am sure there should be an angle torque value.
It's funny in TIS there is a big note "Do not remove bolt"

Marc
bmwwksmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 PM   #262
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
so are you saying the bolt for the helix is torque to yield?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #263
bmwwksmarc
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 M3,89 M3........
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I would imagine so. Maybe Adam knows better?

Marc
bmwwksmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #264
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Is the oil cooler just behind the kidneys and above the radiator? I'm trying to figure out why 1/3 of the space above the bumper support gets blocked off if thats not it.

Looks good man, I was thinking last night that I wish I had the motivation to redo all my underpans with AL and put some "ducting" under the car to help move air more quickly and kill front lift. This makes me realize I definitely am not up to that task.
Yes, that's the oil cooler.

"Tin work" is definitely harder than it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwksmarc View Post
There is no specified torque as the drive only comes with the cams as opposed to the M50/S50 where you can buy the vanos drive gear. That sees a torque of 40nm with a torque angle of 60*
So it's pretty interesting to find out what kind of torque you used to fasten the drive. I guess you could use the standard setting for an 8?mm bolt (I've never had the drive out of a M54), but I am sure there should be an angle torque value.
It's funny in TIS there is a big note "Do not remove bolt"

Marc
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwwksmarc View Post
I would imagine so. Maybe Adam knows better?

Marc
It took approximately 60 ft/lbs of force to break mine loose with a T50 torqx head. That's what I re-torqued mine to, but I made sure all the threads were completely dry and free from any oil. I was focusing more on the "feel" of the bolt than the torque though.

This is definitely not something you want to mess up. The helix gears and the bolts are not listed individually on the parts listing...you would have to buy a complete new OEM camshaft to retrieve them. I do have one source I can check...maybe BMW Motorsport has some "pull" back at the factory.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:00 AM   #265
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Nice sheet metal work. You've put a lot of work into the cooling on the car. I'm sure it'll pay off.

Okay, we're ready for dyno time again Hopefully you can get the car up to temp!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #266
sjo328ci

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
It appears that you have chosen not to incorporate any sort of diffuser in your rear end modifications. Did you consider doing so and why did you choose not to?
M54 crankshaft
Crower MaxiLight forged alloy connecting rods
Ferrea 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valves,
valve springs, and titanium spring retainers
Technik Stage 3 cylinder head (mild port and polish)
Technik tubular exhaust header
227 rwhp (265 crank hp est)

What's the point of having money if you don't have something worth wasting it on?
sjo328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #267
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Nice sheet metal work. You've put a lot of work into the cooling on the car. I'm sure it'll pay off.

Okay, we're ready for dyno time again Hopefully you can get the car up to temp!
Thanks.

There is a reason why I've gone so far with the cooling, but I don't want to say just yet.

I'm still waiting on the smallest nitrous jets known to man to show up. LOL Then I'll go to the dyno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjo328ci View Post
It appears that you have chosen not to incorporate any sort of diffuser in your rear end modifications. Did you consider doing so and why did you choose not to?
Pretty simple answer: I didn't see any successful E46 race cars with them. If the Bimmerworld, PTG, and TMS cars had had them, I probably would have gone that route.

At some point down the road I'll look into aerodynamics a lot more seriously, but for the moment, I don't even have a front splitter or spoiler on the car. What I've learned from the pro racing world in this area, is that you want to test everything to find out what really works. I don't have sensors on the car yet to accurately log what "aero" is really doing, so until I do, I'm going to focus on chassis setup which is a lot more tangible.

For now, I consider the bottom of the fuel cell as my diffuser.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #268
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
You are correct, your ECU has been compensating for this when not in the "base" position. The cam position sensor picks up the actual camshaft location regardless of the vanos alignment. However, the VANOS system doesn't operate the way most people think. It advances the intake cam position gradually until peak torque at roughly 3600 RPM, then starts to retard the position again returning to 0 degrees advance by 6000 RPM. So your "base" setting for intake is going to affect idle/part throttle, and also the extreme high RPM. The exhaust camshaft position is moved mostly for emissions and idle stability. It's movement is different from the intake cam, and is less "radical".

The VANOS spline turned to the right would be retarded; think of the spline as being in the reference position, and that the cam is rotated backwards. The way that the VANOS works, it will compensate until it hits it's limiting stops. This is what causes VANOS codes, as the VANOS is trying to put the cam into a certain position but won't go. Now that I think of it, I think that I previously stated that my camshaft position was advanced with the splines rotated to the right which was incorrect.

You should not get a CEL from re-aligning the VANOS, however I would have read and cleared the fault codes prior to the re-alignment.

On the VANOS installation, I use Permatex grey hi-temp sealant on both sides of the sealing gasket when installing. No problems, and I've been re-using the same gasket for 4 "installations" so far. I think the 10mm nuts are only supposed to be torqued to like 8 ft/lbs? I also apply sealant in the corner areas of the valve cover...which is basically the entire surface area that comes into contact with the VANOS assembly. Again...no leaks so far...although I've ruined a shirt or 2 forgetting about the fresh silicone on the enigne when installing the valve cover.

Did you red Loctite the splines into position?

What torque value did you use on the fastening bolts?
I have a question for you. Do you have to realign the camshaft using the special alignment tool everytime you take your VANOS apart? The reason I ask is because I will be rebuilding my VANOS using the Beisan System this summer.

http://beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

You did mention in your thread that every time you put your VANOS back together it was just a little diffrent then before. When I rebuild my vanos is it a good idea to apply the red loctite to he helix as stated in your thread?

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
CCV Delete
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #269
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman5174 View Post
I have a question for you. Do you have to realign the camshaft using the special alignment tool everytime you take your VANOS apart? The reason I ask is because I will be rebuilding my VANOS using the Beisan System this summer.

http://beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

You did mention in your thread that every time you put your VANOS back together it was just a little diffrent then before. When I rebuild my vanos is it a good idea to apply the red loctite to he helix as stated in your thread?
The link you have included above is only for VANOS piston removal and repair. Everything listed on that link is correct.

What Stuart and I are talking about is the removal of the pieces that attach to the VANOS piston assembly, and for that you need a lot more tools.

You do not need to do any sort of alignment when repairing the VANOS piston assembly.

Unless you have replaced your OEM camshafts with Schrick parts, you don't have anything to worry about regarding the camshaft splines.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #270
330i ZHP

everything back together this AM and started - no CEL. I will drive it this afternoon to see if any CELs pop
Old 04-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #271
tinkwithanr

My Ride: '00 323i + '75 2002
Good news. ^^

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all
Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep
Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history
Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now
tinkwithanr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #272
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
everything back together this AM and started - no CEL. I will drive it this afternoon to see if any CELs pop
Good to hear.

I'm still waiting on these pesky nitrous jets....

This just gives me more time to work on other things though. Today was a "write off" with errands and family stuff taking priority....hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at the duct work.

On another note, I've been shopping for a generator to take to the race track with me. This will be to power the car between track sessions/passes and also to keep the nitrous bottles warm. To be honest, I won't be able to run the car at the drag strip without it....
Old 04-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #273
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Good to hear.

I'm still waiting on these pesky nitrous jets....

This just gives me more time to work on other things though. Today was a "write off" with errands and family stuff taking priority....hopefully tomorrow I'll be back at the duct work.

On another note, I've been shopping for a generator to take to the race track with me. This will be to power the car between track sessions/passes and also to keep the nitrous bottles warm. To be honest, I won't be able to run the car at the drag strip without it....
10 second quarter mile electric car.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #274
330i ZHP

drove the car for about 45min in varying traffic environments and no CELs, the car runs smoother and feels stronger

Thank you Adam and TMS
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #275
BMWDon

My Ride: Needs a cage
This is an awesome build, wow
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #276
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
drove the car for about 45min in varying traffic environments and no CELs, the car runs smoother and feels stronger

Thank you Adam and TMS
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDon View Post
This is an awesome build, wow
Thanks!

Long time no post...
Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #277
330i ZHP

well, it happened today - i started the car and it popped a CEL right away - P0011 and P0014 - both cams advanced...so i cleared the codes in hopes that the car is just basing this data off the previously retarded cams

or

I will be tearing the top end apart again..ugh
Old 04-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #278
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Front radiator and oil cooler duct work is finished:

And so is the front bumper:

Bumper installed on the car after sanding for paint:

Prep'd for paint:

Primer'd:

In the midst of multiple coats of paint:

Trial fit of painted bumper on car:

Painting the duct work on the car:

Finished:

Installing bumper/cover:

Finished:

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #279
330i ZHP

i like - although the R makes me think of the R32
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #280
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

I'm running the Bimmerworld brake cooling kit which includes forced air rotor backing plates, and all the duct work.

Here is how the driver's side ducting was installed:

Passenger's side ducting:

Excuse the dirty wheel wells...it's mostly sand from driving the car around the parking lot outside.

With all the body work finished, I decided to weigh the car to see where we were at:

That's with me sitting in the driver's seat, the fuel tank has been pumped empty, nitrous tank removed, I don't have the window nets installed yet, and the side skirts have been left off. So there's still another 10 Lbs of "stuff" to add to the car, and 80 lbs of fuel for road racing. So just under 3100 Lbs track ready.

For drag racing the nitrous tank is 25 Lbs, and I'll probably run 30 Lbs of fuel, but I'll remove the passenger seat and belts which is approximately 25 lbs. So just under 3050 Lbs ready for the drag strip. There is more weight that I can remove, but we'll save those tricks for a little later in the year.