E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 AM   #81
italy430

My Ride: 2000 328i
What is your break in procedure?
italy430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #82
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
What is your break in procedure?
- Start the engine, run for 2-3 minutes idling watching oil pressure and temps.

- Stop engine, check for leaks, check fluid levels.

- Start engine, blip throttle up to 5k periodically for 2 minutes.

- On Dyno, do repetitive 4th gear pulls from 2-5k RPM under load. (I used the car's brakes to add extra load)

- Do 4th gear pulls from 2000 RPM to redline on dyno.

I had probably 1.5hrs of runtime on the engine after the above. I then drained all the oil and coolant from the engine, and cleaned the oil filter. (I'm using an inline Peterson oil filter) I've also re-torqued the head studs, and did a general check of all the electrical and fluid connections on the engine.

Engine has currently been filled back up with Royal Purple Break-In oil. (10W30) I'll probably run this for a couple more dyno sessions then change to "normal" oil for this engine.

I can't stress how important it is to generate lots of cylinder pressure to help seal the piston rings. The window of oportunity for this is very narrow after machining, you probably have 2hrs of run time to get 80% of the break-in done. Again, I'm not talking RPM, but cylinder pressure. On most engines, peak cylinder pressure occurs at peak torque...luckily for us that's at a fairly low RPM. (3500 RPM)

Porsche loads all of their cars really heavily on a dyno at the factory before they go to the dealers...
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #83
Sam@WPPro
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E39
This is truly an amazing build, makes me want to redo the E90 race cars.
Sam@WPPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #84
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Can't wait to see more vids of it running.

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM   #85
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
How about engine braking, is that a good way to break in a motor?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:52 PM   #86
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
How about engine braking, is that a good way to break in a motor?
It can be part of a break-in routine, but I don't believe its an effective measure by itself. Engine braking creates vacuum which does help press the rings against the cylinder bores, but it also places a huge load on the rod end caps. The force applied to the rings under engine braking is not as great as accelerating under load.

My choice was to acclerate hard under load, and use engine braking.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #87
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Update for yesterday and today is more of a "what's been done" list:

- Drained oil and coolant from engine.
- Disconnected fuel lines
- Removed in-line oil filter; cleaned and inspected filter element.
- Removed VANOS, camshafts, and cam trays.
- Re-torqued down head studs.
- Re-installed cam trays, camshafts, and VANOS assembly.
- Drained all "dyno fuel" from fuel cell. (Put it in my truck)
- Put fresh 91 octane gas in fuel cell.
- Suspended engine with hoist.
- Removed solid engine/tranny mounts.
- Cut top of transmission tunnel out. (Needed more clearance for some things)
- Installed Urethane engine/tranny mounts.
- Re-installed fuel, oil, and cooling system. (All hoses and radiator was out)
- Filled cooling system with 7.5L of coolant!
- Filled engine with 8L of Royal Purple Break-In oil. (10w30 mineral oil)
- Tried to start engine...realized I need a ground strap now.
- Started troubleshooting idle issue on engine.
- Got power windows and locks working again. (I was having to "hotwire" the windows to move them up and down before)
- Windshield wiper motor functional again.
- Got horn working properly.
- Re-wired fuel pump to work off of relay controled by DME.
- Finally found correct signal for RPM on tach/logger....tach now working properly, LM-1 now logging RPM with AFR.
- Installed Moristech Interceptor piggyback ECU. (Lot of work)
- Did rough configuration of Moristech and test run with engine. I now have full control of fuel and ignition timing.
- Configured 2 step on Moristech...works pretty good.

I'm sure I forgot some stuff...but that's where I am right now. Tomorrow I'm moving the car out into the parking lot to continue configuring the Moristech and getting the LM-1 to talk with the Moristech. Also going to work on setting up logging and display screens with 2 laptops for next dyno session. Looks like I'm going to need a 3rd laptop too...fully optioned AutoEnginuity in the mail.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #88
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@WPPro View Post
This is truly an amazing build, makes me want to redo the E90 race cars.
Thanks, that's quite a compliment. Any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWINFORD View Post
Can't wait to see more vids of it running.
I've actually posted a longer vid if you look....
Old 03-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #89
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Cold day on PEI.

I had the car out in the parking lot today with an extension cord run back to the shop to power a space heater inside the car and a laptop. Now that I'm comfortable with the Moristech software...

Dyno session booked for this Saturday.

It will probably be on the rollers for 5-6 hrs to continue with break-in and start fine tuning the combo.

The idle problem I've been sorting through ended up being a wiring mistake I made. Lets just say I've gotten really good at pulling all the spark plugs while testing things...

I also did a compression test today to see how the break-in is progressing. There's still a ways to go before we're in the "sweet spot".
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #90
BimmerDude18

My Ride: 1998 528i
Impressive man. The amount of work you get done in a day is very impressive as well.

1998 528i 5-speed Work in progress
1988 Toyota Pickup (4WD 5-speed) daily
2007 San Marino Blue 350z 6-speed sold
1996 328i 5-speed sold

www.e46nonM.com - www.precision-sport.com - www.flyingwindowtinters.com - www.techniquetuning.com
BimmerDude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #91
CRSmoak

My Ride: 2000 328i
Think you could get a few dyno graphs before you finish everything, like a before and after comparison?
Keep up the good work,
CRSmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #92
Sam@WPPro
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Thanks, that's quite a compliment. Any pics?
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=653790

its not quite as well in details as your car, the cars are done with a git'r'done attitude and meeting the Canadian Touring Car regulation and Grand AM and the season is starting soon.

I always hoping for the opportunity to build a personal track car where I can build with no limitations.
Sam@WPPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #93
immigrant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to immigrant
Quote:
For the moment, I'm not going to change it yet.

Interesting terminology.

At the crank or at the rear wheels?
At the wheels. You can tell both the carnk and the wheels if you want.
immigrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #94
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
It was probably 45 degrees out...tires are RA-1s which take some heat in them to get optimal traction. Still...it was interesting to see the marks on the pavement...

I'm running a custom Diffs Online race diff.
That is very still impressive for a 330ci. That sounds fairly close to M3 power vs a stock 330ci !!!

I saw your entry on dragtimes.

That is really good that you had 230rwhp before your build. How many more ponies or whatever do you feel you have now? Did you ever think about stroking the engine ala the Alpina B3S Coupe?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605068

All the best !!! I am big fan of your thread/work and your car

Regards,
Loay

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #95
BillyJoelR

My Ride: Velvy B.
Great run PEI!

BillyJoelR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #96
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDude18 View Post
Impressive man. The amount of work you get done in a day is very impressive as well.
Thank you.

Some days I don't get much of anything done...too much head scratching or cursing going on. It's reassuring to know that some people think I'm doing ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSmoak View Post
Think you could get a few dyno graphs before you finish everything, like a before and after comparison?
Keep up the good work,
I have lots of dyno graphs...it's just that they don't really mean anything at this point. Not to worry though, as always the details will be posted when I'm happy with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@WPPro View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=653790

its not quite as well in details as your car, the cars are done with a git'r'done attitude and meeting the Canadian Touring Car regulation and Grand AM and the season is starting soon.

I always hoping for the opportunity to build a personal track car where I can build with no limitations.
Thanks for the link, very nice project.

I may be up at Tremblant with my car this year if I can work it into my schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by immigrant View Post
At the wheels. You can tell both the carnk and the wheels if you want.
I like to use wheel hp for dynos, but crank hp for track results. The big black dyno never lies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loayo View Post
That is very still impressive for a 330ci. That sounds fairly close to M3 power vs a stock 330ci !!!

I saw your entry on dragtimes.

That is really good that you had 230rwhp before your build. How many more ponies or whatever do you feel you have now? Did you ever think about stroking the engine ala the Alpina B3S Coupe?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=605068

All the best !!! I am big fan of your thread/work and your car

Regards,
Loay
Loay,

Wow...that's digging into the past. LOL Good memories..

I have a source for a 92mm stroke crank, but it would involve some compromises that I'm not comfortable with on the M54 block. I've chosen to stay with the existing stroke/bore because it produces a fairly good "rod ratio". This will be important when I start laying into the nitrous pretty heavily, as the block at that point is going to be stressed pretty heavily. On steel engine blocks, the "rod ratio" like the 92mm crank has, creates a lot of problems at the bottom of the cylinder bore. It literally deforms the cylinder walls into an oval because of such a high rod angle. I can't imagine what would happen on an aluminum block with 1mm thick steel liners.

The B3S uses an S52 block, which is all steel. (Note only single VANOS in the engine pictured) It's a 3.2L block to start with, so increasing displacement by 0.2L is much easier than adding 0.4L to an aluminum block. It's a very well done engine, (everything Alpina does is well done) but not in the spirit of my build criteria. (Using 330Ci internals)

How much power am I aiming for?

Enough to run an 11.99 in the 1/4 mile with a 2900Lb car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA6_BJR View Post
Great run PEI!
Thanks! Lots more to come.

Update for today:

I recieved the "extended features" version of the AutoEnginuity scanner this morning, and loaded it into my second laptop. I can't even begin to explain how happy I am with this product. Sure it's expensive, but you can see everything that's going on with the engine in real time. I'll give an independant review of this piece at another time, but I'm really happy to be taking this to my next dyno session.

Speaking of Dyno...I have the car on the trailer at the house ready to leave first thing in the AM. Tomorrow night I'll post a dyno graph with some explainations.

There is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes with the engine that I'd rather not get into until I have a better understanding of things. This is all part of me being new to this stuff, learning, and also it's the first time to my knowledge that someone has built an engine combination like this. It's very exciting, but also very challenging.

My thanks goes out to everyone that has helped with advice, technical support, and product that has brought this beast to life again.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #97
loayo

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Awesome, thanks for your detailed response !

You seem very much a proponent of nitrous

Regards,
Loay Oweis

2001///M3/PowerchipGroup/Eisenmann/Race Flow S-Pipes/AFe Stage II/AutoSolutions/ZCPs/NGK Ir/ULF/JL Audio Amp/Sub/Clutch-Stop 12.8" 1/4mi
1990 Honda Civic DX Hatch B18c1(GSR)/CAI/Greddy Exhaust/DC Sport/H&R/Suspension Techniques/Tanabe/KDWs/Pulstar/Apex Blue Pearl from 2008 S2K CR 14" 1/4mi
2002 Odyssey EX - Secret Weapon R/Pulstar/CAI 15" 1/4mi
2011 Camry V6 SE - Uper Optik 14" 1/4mi
2001 330ci Dinan S1 [Sold]
loayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #98
BadBoostedBmwM3

My Ride: 323i & e36 Turbo M3
Quote:
Update for yesterday and today is more of a "what's been done" list:

-
- Re-torqued down head studs.
-
- Re-wired fuel pump to work off of relay controled by DME.
-
Did you find that the head studs needed to be re-torqued?? And, forget what type of HG you're using BUT what is it?

And, how exactly did you wire the fuel pump relay to work off the DME??

And, the progress sounds good!
BadBoostedBmwM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #99
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
my god...the beast is alive hope you get everything sorted out soon must have moar vids asap !! congrats the road has been long for a lot of us who have been following you since my330i i can't wait to see you tracking her
Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 AM   #100
mkodama

I think you should look into an in-car camera and mount if it has not already been purchased or planned on Adam.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote