E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 173 votes, 4.45 average.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:50 AM   #290581
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
If we are talking about guns that are being sold in a shop, they I could agree there could probably be some regulation on how they are displayed or how close they can be to the door, etc.

As far as what people can do in their own home, I'm not sure there's anything realistic that can be done there. I own a gun and I don't have children. I keep my gun loaded and hidden but not locked. The point of the weapon is defense and if it is locked up, I don't want my safety at the mercy of some locking device in the middle of the night.

That said, people with children should be more responsible and I believe there is already a law that states if a child under the age of 18 gets a hold of a weapon because of negligence and harms himself or others, you can be prosecuted for a felony.

Bottom line, California already has a law that all firearms sold must be accompanied with a cable lock so that it can be transported to the owners home legally. It just adds an additional expense on top of the gun most times. You pay for the gun + additional cable lock. If you did the same thing for some kind of container, people would just start bundling the cheapest container that still meets regulation with the guns and it would add to the expense. You still couldn't enforce people to use them. Plus, I don't want someone telling me what I can or can't do in my own home.

I've thought about this quite a bit as well, and I haven't been able to find a way to legally make people responsible for someone ELSE stealing their property and committing a crime with it. And maybe the fact that I'm trying to answer that question is the problem.
This is just opinion here, but I think if someone needs a weapon for instant use, they should have the weapon on them. If the weapon isn't on them, or in use, I don't think a lock will make a bit of difference and the weapon should be put somewhere safe, and the more dangerous the weapon, I think the more safe that place needs to be.

The cable lock and child law thing isn't really what I'm getting at, because neither of those actively delay or prevent people from picking up a gun. I'd bet many peoples' answer to the child law is just putting the gun on top of a tall dresser or not telling their child(ren) about the gun, and the cable lock does nothing for preventing people from taking the gun, just operation.

I think simply making sure people have the means of putting a gun in a safe place is a large chunk of it, and if you could find a way to emphasize they shouldn't make it easy for weapons to be stolen, those two things would be most of the problems solved right there. I think someone showing the capacity to store a gun safely is as effective as a person showing they have the psychological capacity to own a gun. Both helpful ways in preventing issues, even if they do involve personal details.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 AM   #290582
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
This hurts my head trying to understand.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #290583
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled

i heard this thread likes cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 AM   #290584
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323ci newbie View Post

lol miles
lol

Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #290585
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post

i heard this thread likes cats
Yep, we like kitties.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #290586
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
do not ignore my incest
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #290587
Devious21

My Ride: is topless
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
This is just opinion here, but I think if someone needs a weapon for instant use, they should have the weapon on them. If the weapon isn't on them, or in use, I don't think a lock will make a bit of difference and the weapon should be put somewhere safe, and the more dangerous the weapon, I think the more safe that place needs to be.
I'm not going to sleep with my gun on me but if it's next to me on my dresser that's more than adequate to be combat effective. If it's locked in a safe, that's another story.

Quote:
The cable lock and child law thing isn't really what I'm getting at, because neither of those actively delay or prevent people from picking up a gun. I'd bet many peoples' answer to the child law is just putting the gun on top of a tall dresser or not telling their child(ren) about the gun, and the cable lock does nothing for preventing people from taking the gun, just operation.
My point was that there is already a law on the books for that, which provides little more than an additional fee. It can be ignored just as your proposed law can be ignored. At the end of the day, it will add additional cost for a "certified safe" that will just be tacked on to the fee and then people will go about business as usual.

Quote:
I think simply making sure people have the means of putting a gun in a safe place is a large chunk of it, and if you could find a way to emphasize they shouldn't make it easy for weapons to be stolen, those two things would be most of the problems solved right there. I think someone showing the capacity to store a gun safely is as effective as a person showing they have the psychological capacity to own a gun. Both helpful ways in preventing issues, even if they do involve personal details.
The last 2 shootings - in one case the guns were taken because they were left on a table out of the safe. The 2nd because they were stolen from a gun store with plenty of safes but they were out on display. I don't think the "Capacity" to store a gun is an issue.

You also have to take into account what the law will realistically accomplish. My analogy to the child locks was that there is a law there to encourage(not enforce) behavior which can be immediately ignored and just taxes people to pay for the lock. So requiring proof of purchase of a safe can just be seen as a $50 tax on the ability to purchase weapons. Requiring something to be un-theftable is a pretty tall order and it won't actually change anything.

People are going to have to accept that in shootings where people intend to die afterwards, are going to happen. Laws will not stop those people. Our only hope is to improve society as a whole so people like that don't fall through the cracks to the point where they're going on suicidal killing sprees. Positive nationwide change and education isn't our strong point though, so a law on paper makes people feel better, despite it's effectiveness.

Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #290588
Devious21

My Ride: is topless

Last edited by Devious21; 12-30-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Devious21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #290589
DJ RaMiN

My Ride: 02 325I,03 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by albeee View Post
BMW driver complaining about $250? That's lunch!
Quote:
Man, you all is best!
Here is my Facebook page, Like me maybe:
https://www.facebook.com/DJRaMiNUS
DJ RaMiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #290590
DJ RaMiN

Quote:
Quote:
Man, you all is best!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #290591
DJ RaMiN

morning

Quote:
Quote:
Man, you all is best!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #290592
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #290593
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ RaMiN View Post
Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #290594
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #290595
323ci newbie

My Ride: mkodama
NGC

Lambo or Ferrari?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #290596
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
More than you can afford pal
Ferrari

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #290597
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Ferrari with Lambo doors.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #290598
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
NGC

Lambo or Ferrari?
Prius. YOLO, bruh.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #290599
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
Mclaren mp4-12c

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Bimmer App

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #290600
mkodama

Quote:
I'm not going to sleep with my gun on me but if it's next to me on my dresser that's more than adequate to be combat effective. If it's locked in a safe, that's another story.

My point was that there is already a law on the books for that, which provides little more than an additional fee. It can be ignored just as your proposed law can be ignored. At the end of the day, it will add additional cost for a "certified safe" that will just be tacked on to the fee and then people will go about business as usual.

The last 2 shootings - in one case the guns were taken because they were left on a table out of the safe. The 2nd because they were stolen from a gun store with plenty of safes but they were out on display. I don't think the "Capacity" to store a gun is an issue.

You also have to take into account what the law will realistically accomplish. My analogy to the child locks was that there is a law there to encourage(not enforce) behavior which can be immediately ignored and just taxes people to pay for the lock. So requiring proof of purchase of a safe can just be seen as a $50 tax on the ability to purchase weapons. Requiring something to be un-theftable is a pretty tall order and it won't actually change anything.

People are going to have to accept that in shootings where people intend to die afterwards, are going to happen. Laws will not stop those people. Our only hope is to improve society as a whole so people like that don't fall through the cracks to the point where they're going on suicidal killing sprees. Positive nationwide change and education isn't our strong point though, so a law on paper makes people feel better, despite it's effectiveness.
Ugh... all good points. This gun law stuff is hard.

Tags
>implying the e9x is good, '02-'05 grandpas, '06 gods, '07 og's, '08 n00bs, '09 working class, '10 plebeians, '11 master race, '11 peasants, class of, norcal, norcal gen chaaaaat, norcal general chat