E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.65 average.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #161981
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
bear>summit
Old 12-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #161982
Brian N

My Ride: 2001 330i Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd330 View Post
I've been boarding for like 15 years and the only time i have really hurt myself was at Snow Summit...... ice plus boarding is not a good combo....
Yeah it was like an ice skating ring that day. First year boarding... racing down eastside first run of the day = bad idea. I got to cocky and was definitely put back in line after that.

Any tips on flat basing? I'm trying to get faster my fastest run so far was 52mph at mammoth but I was like brake checking like crazy. My friends highest speed was 89 last year on the dragon's back at mammoth. It still freaks me out to go fast. I always think i'm gonna catch a front edge again...
Brian N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #161983
AlexTe46

My Ride: 2001>325i>sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
glad it worked out for you.
thanks for the help
Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #161984
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
89 mph
Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #161985
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

My Ride: manual stl gry 330i
Saw this on snowboardingforum a while ago, instead me typing out a whole bunch of stuff, I will just paste this here

Except for limited situations, you really do not want to get in the habit of riding flat based for long distances. The age old debate about whether you get more glide on edge or flat based has been going on unsolved for years and will still be going on long after we are all worm food. I think this depends on the snow conditions and the condition on the board`s base. In we, sticky, spring snow, riding on edge gives much better glide than riding flat based. On ice, flat based seems to be the better choice. Cold dry snow can go either way depending on the wax condition. Regardless, flat based riding really requires more work that it is worth in my book.

lets break this down into borad performance concepts:

PIVOT:
For flat based riding this one is key. Since you don`t want to edge, you really can`t turn. The only way to keep your board straight and aligned with your trajectory is to pivot it. Unwanted pivot on a flat based board is a wicked edge catch waiting to happen. The idea here is to ride as if your are doing a 50/50 down a box. Keep hips, shoulders and head aligned with your trajectory and the board will follow. Rotate out of this state at all and the board will pivot.

TILT
Again, if you goal is to remain truly flat based, you don`t want any tilt of the board for that engages the edge and side cut, causing a drift or turn one way or the other. To prevent tilt, you must keep your body centered over your board without leaning over either edge.

PRESSURE:
Just like tilt, pressure will cause the edge to engage and create drift or turn. When you want to ride truly flat based, you need to ensure that your feet are sitting on your board totally neutral without any pressure differences on heels or toes.

TWIST
As with tilt and pressure, torsional twist, even slight, will change the shape of the board`s base and create turning forces. With enough twist, the edge will engage and create a turn. When riding flat based, you must keep your feet neutral and not allow any heel or toe pressure to twist the board.

While not specifically a board performance concept, let`s talk about how your weight is positioned on the board.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
We all know that the heavy end of the board goes down the hill or across the flats first and fastest. If you do not have your weight shifted forward, the rear of the board is heavier and wants to pass the nose. It`s the same principle that causes a tractor trailer to jack knife on an icy highway when the brakes are applied hard. The trailer is heavier than the tractor ans whips around. Your board will react the same unless the front is always heavier than the tail.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #161986
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
YES!! passed accounting! yeahh budddddyyyyy
Old 12-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #161987
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
that was all very technical
Old 12-22-2011, 01:36 AM   #161988
Brian N

Quote:
Saw this on snowboardingforum a while ago, instead me typing out a whole bunch of stuff, I will just paste this here

Except for limited situations, you really do not want to get in the habit of riding flat based for long distances. The age old debate about whether you get more glide on edge or flat based has been going on unsolved for years and will still be going on long after we are all worm food. I think this depends on the snow conditions and the condition on the board`s base. In we, sticky, spring snow, riding on edge gives much better glide than riding flat based. On ice, flat based seems to be the better choice. Cold dry snow can go either way depending on the wax condition. Regardless, flat based riding really requires more work that it is worth in my book.

lets break this down into borad performance concepts:

PIVOT:
For flat based riding this one is key. Since you don`t want to edge, you really can`t turn. The only way to keep your board straight and aligned with your trajectory is to pivot it. Unwanted pivot on a flat based board is a wicked edge catch waiting to happen. The idea here is to ride as if your are doing a 50/50 down a box. Keep hips, shoulders and head aligned with your trajectory and the board will follow. Rotate out of this state at all and the board will pivot.

TILT
Again, if you goal is to remain truly flat based, you don`t want any tilt of the board for that engages the edge and side cut, causing a drift or turn one way or the other. To prevent tilt, you must keep your body centered over your board without leaning over either edge.

PRESSURE:
Just like tilt, pressure will cause the edge to engage and create drift or turn. When you want to ride truly flat based, you need to ensure that your feet are sitting on your board totally neutral without any pressure differences on heels or toes.

TWIST
As with tilt and pressure, torsional twist, even slight, will change the shape of the board`s base and create turning forces. With enough twist, the edge will engage and create a turn. When riding flat based, you must keep your feet neutral and not allow any heel or toe pressure to twist the board.

While not specifically a board performance concept, let`s talk about how your weight is positioned on the board.

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION
We all know that the heavy end of the board goes down the hill or across the flats first and fastest. If you do not have your weight shifted forward, the rear of the board is heavier and wants to pass the nose. It`s the same principle that causes a tractor trailer to jack knife on an icy highway when the brakes are applied hard. The trailer is heavier than the tractor ans whips around. Your board will react the same unless the front is always heavier than the tail.
Good read.

I try to do most of those things already I guess it's more about the fine tuning of my movements and getting more confidence.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #161989
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
89 mph
yeah, that is insane. My brother, who is really good, could probably reach speeds up there before he broke his leg...
Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #161990
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
Good read.

I try to do most of those things already I guess it's more about the fine tuning of my movements and getting more confidence.
Yeah, it is pretty spot on. If I start getting to fast, I tend to lean back a bit on my back leg, keep my shoulders and head straight and square with knees bent, but can still stay flat and not catch an edge.....

but things can change in a spit second if you don't stay focused.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #161991
Brian N

Quote:
Yeah, it is pretty spot on. If I start getting to fast, I tend to lean back a bit on my back leg, keep my shoulders and head straight and square with knees bent, but can still stay flat and not catch an edge.....

but things can change in a spit second if you don't stay focused.
Yeah they can. It's funny because after the injury I last season I went up a couple more times 2 months later. I was so paranoid that I would always keep more of my weight on my back foot... it made things real weird and hard to turn.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #161992
e46tommy

My Ride: 2000 328ci/m3
hello every one names tommy =D
e46tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #161993
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
:bah fawking humbug:
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #161994
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46tommy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #161995
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
:bah fawking humbug:
you working on xmas?
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #161996
evilstar

My Ride: 633csi & 325i
evilstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #161997
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstar View Post
you working on xmas?
Of course. My only solice WOULD have been that Friday is a company holiday so the place should be empty 'cept me and my trainee but I found out this morning that I'll have some contractors in doing some work.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #161998
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46tommy View Post
sorry....... we already have tommy here. From now on your name is Chuck.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #161999
cd330
ModZombie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Of course. My only solice WOULD have been that Friday is a company holiday so the place should be empty 'cept me and my trainee but I found out this morning that I'll have some contractors in doing some work.
I am off Friday through Tuesday
Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #162000
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
Quote:
sorry....... we already have tommy here. From now on your name is Chuck.

I think I'll name him Rigoberto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
stancewerks is for dudes who pick up dudes for a little stretch and poke.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:facepal:, albee has a small winky, albee haz euro sugar papi, albee the critter, albeee dirty syrup licker, apple pie, banhamr, butt rash, corn on pizza, dingleberry, eggs on burgers, hair club for raf, i still love lions, kalim has hairy palms, kpeng > all of you, kpeng is still among us., lapd-tommy not in la, lapd-tommy not in vegas, let my tommy go, oh hai., poo brown assault, raceland, showboobsplz, smilez >*, tiffs boobs drool, uglychicksftw, very chatty, worst thread evar