E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Smile Re- Wiring Angel eyes

Hi guys, I apologize if someone has asked this before, but my main problem is the guy that did my angel eyes wired them to my turn indicators, the effect is preatty sweet when you hit unlock they flash, and when you turn left and right they flash too. My biggest problem with that setup is 1 its going to burn out ballast since they are CCFL, and 2) Im waiting for the cop to give me **it when he sees them flashing. So now to my question how would i rewire them properly, i read a couple links showing hacking to the ECU, now can someone explain to me how that works will the angel eyes always be on? Also does someone know if carsoft 6.5 have a function that allows me to turn of my DRLS. Thanks

Car 2005 330CI
Angel eyes: CCFL's

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
iftwb

My Ride: E46 320i + E60 530i
Send a message via MSN to iftwb
Can I be honest and please don't get offended, that idea kinda sucks. Not really cool, kinda of gets annoying after a while.. I can only imagine.

Basically tapping into your ECU box will allow you to share 'power' with your interior lights. The guides should tell you which one is the correct cable within the ECU. So basically every time you go to unlock your cars, your CCFL angel eyes will also fade on and off with the interior lights. This effect is coined as the remote feature as its activated by your car remote unlocking and locking.

Another way to wire Angel eyes so they run continuously or as a second function, is to share the same power as your headlights. By tapping into the power lead to your halogen or xenon headlights, your able to run Angel Eyes on continuously, so long as your headlights are running.

Another 3rd function is to run them as DRLs. Basically with this function, your angel eyes power with your DRLS, Daytime running lights, which are tiny little bulbs that act as 'parkers'. In some cases, people run both parkers and angel eyes together, but others remove the parker bulbs, replace them with specific capacitors/resistors, and run the Angel Eyes only. So basically when you go to turn the light dial to the right by 1 click, your Angel eyes come on.
iftwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
iftwb

Like I mentioned above, the most efficient way to have your Angel Eyes always on is just to tap them into your headlights. You basically draw power from the wires near the bulb connection.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
2001BMW325Ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Ci
If you don't have DRL, can you make the Angel Eyes the DRL? How would you wire this?
2001BMW325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
iftwb

Do you have halogens or xenons?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
2001BMW325Ci

About to install HID (P46 with Orion V2) this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftwb View Post
Do you have halogens or xenons?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
iftwb

Well, you must have halogens right now. Basically, if you want your CCFL angel eyes to power with DRLs with your current setup, find the wire that powers the DRL bulbs. You have, iirc, 4 connections to your headlights: i) and ii) are your lows and highs, iii) is your auto-levelling/manual leveling control and iv) your DRL. Tap into this and your set!

If you want your P46 with Orion V2s to run with Angel eyes acting as DRLs, insteading of running alongside DRLs, again...you tap into the original, pre-existing wire that led into your original halogen headlights.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
2001BMW325Ci

Thanks iftwb! I don't have any DRL in my halogens. One reason to upgrade to P46 w/ Orion V2s so I could use V2s as my DRL. Will look at this during my install this weekend. May need to PM you if I run into any issues. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iftwb View Post
Well, you must have halogens right now. Basically, if you want your CCFL angel eyes to power with DRLs with your current setup, find the wire that powers the DRL bulbs. You have, iirc, 4 connections to your headlights: i) and ii) are your lows and highs, iii) is your auto-levelling/manual leveling control and iv) your DRL. Tap into this and your set!

If you want your P46 with Orion V2s to run with Angel eyes acting as DRLs, insteading of running alongside DRLs, again...you tap into the original, pre-existing wire that led into your original halogen headlights.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
iftwb

Don't forget, use a multi-meter and determine positive and negative wires of your DRL cable, should be a gray or black connector with gray and brown wires, iirc.
Tap the correct positive and negative cables of your Angel Eyes here. Obviously, on each side, two of your rings will lead 4 connectors to a black-wrapped resistor board, from this resistor board is where you will join the wires to meet your DRLs.

Remember, if you only want one function, which is your Orion V2s to run as DRLs, you don't need the harness that comes with the Angel Eyes. If you want multiple functions, such as for remote feature, you will need the harness, as it utilities a relay to 'relay' power for 2 separate power inputs.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
Ok, so tapping into the ecu makes them share interior lihts, forgive me if this sounds stupid but would they work ONLY if the interior lights are on?

And no offence taken, the only reason they were wired like that, because they guy who was installing them said that the drl bulbs wich in my car are H7 only run half voltage so the angel eyes would not be at full brightness, im trying to achive what your 3rd solution was, how would i go on doing that. Thanks!

Alex
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #11
Titanium 325

My Ride: '01 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_alex View Post
Ok, so tapping into the ecu makes them share interior lihts, forgive me if this sounds stupid but would they work ONLY if the interior lights are on?

And no offence taken, the only reason they were wired like that, because they guy who was installing them said that the drl bulbs wich in my car are H7 only run half voltage so the angel eyes would not be at full brightness, im trying to achive what your 3rd solution was, how would i go on doing that. Thanks!

Alex
Partly correct... there are two trigger wires. If you wire one to the footwell lights, they will work as you described with the doors are open, or the interior lights are on and will fade on and off accordingly.

If you wire the second wire to the ECU as describbed in fastM's DIY (www.fastm.com) they will work as day time running lights in effect and will be on anytime the car/ignition is on.

Mods - M3 Style Lip Spoiler, ACS Replica Roof Spoiler (bowed in the middle), Predator Chromium Angel Eyes, P46 Xenons, Smoked Side, Corners and LED Tails, Blacked out Kidney Grills, Self Painted Bumper Reflectors, K&N Drop-in Filter, 19" Miro M6 Reps in Time Attack

Titanium 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
i_ween

My Ride: '02 330Ci Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium 325 View Post
Partly correct... there are two trigger wires. If you wire one to the footwell lights, they will work as you described with the doors are open, or the interior lights are on and will fade on and off accordingly.

If you wire the second wire to the ECU as describbed in fastM's DIY (www.fastm.com) they will work as day time running lights in effect and will be on anytime the car/ignition is on.
I know this answer is out there, but searching through false threads is annoying as all get out, and here I can ask the very question I am looking to have answered. Can I wire *both* trigger wires? One to the footwell and one to the ECU? I already have the fastm ECU trigger wired up. I like how it stays on for ten seconds after the car is turned off. But, I would *also* like the eyes to light up on the remote activation. Is it OK to wire both triggers at the same time?

check out my astrophotography:
www.gil-galad.com
i_ween is offline   Reply With Quote