E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
arleitiss

My Ride: 318i
Disabled DSC manually, is this ok?

Hey, so I am taking my car to track today, and well I need DSC disabled, I don't have DSC button, I only have ASC button which doesn't hep me much since the traction is still getting controlled by car, so I pulled out few fuses, 3 fuses:

33 (5 amp)
42 (30 amp)
and 53 (30 amp)

However I noticed that these fuses cross-match with ABS/ASC too.

So anyway, now my dash looks like this:

Does this mean my DSC/ASC/ABS is completely off?

Also which out of those 3 fuses controlls ABS specifically?

P.S - before anybody starts ranting at me about being unsafe driver etc..:

( I get spare tyres cheap from friends in garage, they get a wasted/un-used tyres to dispose of, so I usually get them, put up on my 2nd alloys and use for drifting/mad driving on a private track, so I don't use the damaged tyres on public roads). I have a set of standard BMW alloys and I have set of CSL, I use CSL for track and standard for roads. )

Thanks.

Last edited by arleitiss; 07-30-2013 at 10:55 AM.
arleitiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Uh, if you have ASC, then you DON'T have DSC at all. Hold the ASC button for 10 seconds.

god almighty.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Uh, if you have ASC, then you DON'T have DSC at all. Hold the ASC button for 10 seconds.

god almighty.
When I held ASC for 10+ seconds, it just locked the button, nothing came up, the Triangle with circle came on and didn't turn off until I switch off engine (which I heard if a safety feature by BMW as it assumes button got stuck or something is placed on top of it). And even then the traction is controlled on my car.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro

Unrelated but splain how you do "mad drifting" on Tarmac using a 318i.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
WDE46

You don't have DSC. Also, your 318 is probably barely capable of breaking traction. It probably feels like traction control.

Last edited by WDE46; 07-30-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Unrelated but splain how you do "mad drifting" on Tarmac using a 318i.
It's a very rainy day, heavy showers, hence I chose today, the tyres are very worn and there is barely any "proper" grip on them, it works just fine and is pretty fun to do.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
When the yellow light goes solid and wont shut off anymore by pressing button then it is officially shut off. Post a video of your mad drift skills. Do a 330 swap so you can do it on dry pavement.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyde330ci View Post
When the yellow light goes solid and wont shut off anymore by pressing button then it is officially shut off. Post a video of your mad drift skills. Do a 330 swap so you can do it on dry pavement.
I am changing car in April 2014, my current list of choice is:
M3 E46, bmw X5, Range Rover, Cayenne or 7 series, I still have time to think though.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
WDE46

That's quite a range of cars...

Old 07-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Put the fuses back in.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
arleitiss

Back, many people said 318 wont be able to do drift or any kind of tricks...
1) Lock wheel to side.
2) Rev to 4-5k RPM
3) Let clutch go.
4) Steer.
To add more spin/continue turn rev up again and depress/release clutch quickly.

318 works great on that, didn't try handbrake way yet as my handbrake isn't adjusted yet, but this worked great

Also turns out only 1 fuse needs to be out, those other two caused my dash to go mad and not show speed.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
I heard you can put gofast stickers on your car for an extra 20 hp each and adding an electric turbo would really unlock the mad power in those 4 cylinders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandroxpgs View Post
Also check all electronical and transmission.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30

you cant disable your ASC 100% by pressing any button, doesn't matter if you press the button +10 second, never disable 100%
the only way disable 100% is to disconnect your ASC/ABS module, but you also, do mot have the ABS in your car....
much better, install an LSD...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleitiss View Post
When I held ASC for 10+ seconds, it just locked the button, nothing came up, the Triangle with circle came on and didn't turn off until I switch off engine (which I heard if a safety feature by BMW as it assumes button got stuck or something is placed on top of it). And even then the traction is controlled on my car.
You just explained something to me I never understood!

Subaru does this as well. If you hold the button for 10 seconds, it permanently enables VSC permanently.

The DSC module generates an error if you hold it for 10 seconds, actually. I guess this is to help people determine the button is stuck or is making constant contact.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

Quote:
I am changing car in April 2014, my current list of choice is:
M3 E46, bmw X5, Range Rover, Cayenne or 7 series, I still have time to think though.
So you're driving around with bald tires on a 318 but you are going to be purchasing a car that cost anywhere between $25k to $75k? How about you start off by coming off a few hundred bucks to get some new skins for your car man. If you have enough for a Range or a Cayenne then I don't think tires will leave you broke.

Some funny kids on here! Lol!

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
LITZBLITZ

My Ride: 3er

there should be a big box in the right part of the trunk area.. big black wire, disconnect it and it solves your problems.

that or put a wrench across the red and black.
LITZBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #17
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
So you're driving around with bald tires on a 318 but you are going to be purchasing a car that cost anywhere between $25k to $75k? How about you start off by coming off a few hundred bucks to get some new skins for your car man. If you have enough for a Range or a Cayenne then I don't think tires will leave you broke.

Some funny kids on here! Lol!

First of all, I already explained why I use bald tires, I just get them pretty much free, not really fully bald but rather part worn, which are okay for a bit of time, on public roads in Ireland I use brand new tyres (I have two sets of alloys).

And secondly: where did you read that I will be purchasing car for 25k-75k? I never said I will be purchasing brand new, in Ireland average prices are:

M3 E46 2004 - 11k - 80'000 miles.
BMW X5 - 2004-2005 - 5k - 120'000 miles.
Cayenne 2004 - 11k - 88'000 miles.
Rovers - on varies between years, but you can get one starting from 6k.

I am not going for a brand new 13'/14' car, I only have enough for pre 2005-2006.

318 was my 2nd car, I am 20 and Insurance is high for me, my first car was Opel corsa 1.2 but then I swapped for this 1.9, but I want to go higher, but now I got high paid job during summer which I can also keep while in college so I got enough money to change to different car, this 318 is pretty much "a test" car, I've been learning and doing repairs on it (like brakes/engine parts/servicing), better and faster controls.

So please check your facts before making a false statements
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITZBLITZ View Post
there should be a big box in the right part of the trunk area.. big black wire, disconnect it and it solves your problems.

that or put a wrench across the red and black.
Yeah, if you could stop considering yourself smart, that would be great
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
mjpgolf1

My Ride: 00 328i ZSP,05 745LI

Quote:
First of all, I already explained why I use bald tires, I just get them pretty much free, not really fully bald but rather part worn, which are okay for a bit of time, on public roads in Ireland I use brand new tyres (I have two sets of alloys).

And secondly: where did you read that I will be purchasing car for 25k-75k? I never said I will be purchasing brand new, in Ireland average prices are:

M3 E46 2004 - 11k - 80'000 miles.
BMW X5 - 2004-2005 - 5k - 120'000 miles.
Cayenne 2004 - 11k - 88'000 miles.
Rovers - on varies between years, but you can get one starting from 6k.

I am not going for a brand new 13'/14' car, I only have enough for pre 2005-2006.

318 was my 2nd car, I am 20 and Insurance is high for me, my first car was Opel corsa 1.2 but then I swapped for this 1.9, but I want to go higher, but now I got high paid job during summer which I can also keep while in college so I got enough money to change to different car, this 318 is pretty much "a test" car, I've been learning and doing repairs on it (like brakes/engine parts/servicing), better and faster controls.

So please check your facts before making a false statements
My apologies, and for those prices I don't blame you. Too bad it is so expensive to ship them into the US because if it wasn't we would have to do some business. I could make a killing buying those cars at those prices.

mjpgolf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 AM   #20
arleitiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
My apologies, and for those prices I don't blame you. Too bad it is so expensive to ship them into the US because if it wasn't we would have to do some business. I could make a killing buying those cars at those prices.

The reason those prices are so low here because people can't drive here, and often car will be "with a catch" so it often involved extra 2k of servicing/repairs when buying, but even then it comes out very cheap and nicely.