E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Toadfart

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP
Cold Idle Woes.

So I started getting cold idle stall issues late November and I just wanted to share my experience with trying to get it fixed.

I first thought it was a vanos issue, so having a ZHP I ordered a Dr. Vanos unit to get rid of the "ZHP rattle" and the vanos seal problems. Chris was awesome in shipping and communication along with quick refund for core exchange. Awesome.

Then I found a crack in my valve cover hose, so I ordered one through ECS to replace it. I replace it pretty easily. Someone said that a bunch of crap needed to be replaced to get that hose replaced, but I was able to easily swap it out by only removing the airbox. Shipping through ECS took 2 weeks for some reason, I emailed them for a status of the shipping and received an answer by email 3 days after I received the hose.

I then found out that my thermostat was failing so I figured I would replace that as well as the water pump and hoses. I was short on time so I only did the thermostat and will do the water pump later. I ordered the parts from Pelican Parts and got the product within 2 days. Awesome service.

After all this work, I still have the cold idle issues and decided to check out the lower intake boot while I was doing my thermostat. I found a small crack in the hose that goes into the ICV. I ordered a new ICV, oil and filter for my next oil change from www.getbmwparts.com. It's been 2 weeks and I finally get a tracking number. Well, turns out that UPS lost my package and I'm screwed out of close to $80 bucks I spent. Apparently getbmwparts doesn't do customer service by phone or offer a live person to talk to, so I filled out their form online, but I haven't heard anything from them. If anyone from getbmwparts is reading this please contact me.

So here I sit after close to a $1000 in repairs frustrated with this problem. I owned an Integra with a built motor I put together in my garage which was faster and more fun to drive than my Bimmer, but sold it as it was a high maintenance car..yet I've spent more time and money on my ZHP =[

I just wanted to share my frustration and vent a little bit.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Toadfart; 02-26-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Toadfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
Bimmer4Lyfe

My Ride: 02 325i
sux!

-j
Bimmer4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
a_n9ne

I got my first cold idle problems yesterday had the car for a month or so

*large annoying gif removed*

a_n9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfart View Post
So I started getting cold idle stall issues late November and I just wanted to share my experience with trying to get it fixed.

I first thought it was a vanos issue, so having a ZHP I ordered a Dr. Vanos unit to get rid of the "ZHP rattle" and the vanos seal problems. Chris was awesome in shipping and communication along with quick refund for core exchange. Awesome.

Then I found a crack in my valve cover hose, so I ordered one through EAS to replace it. I replace it pretty easily. Someone said that a bunch of crap needed to be replaced to get that hose replaced, but I was able to easily swap it out by only removing the airbox. Shipping through EAS took 2 weeks for some reason, I emailed them for a status of the shipping and received an answer by email 3 days after I received the hose.

I then found out that my thermostat was failing so I figured I would replace that as well as the water pump and hoses. I was short on time so I only did the thermostat and will do the water pump later. I ordered the parts from Pelican Parts and got the product within 2 days. Awesome service.

After all this work, I still have the cold idle issues and decided to check out the lower intake boot while I was doing my thermostat. I found a small crack in the hose that goes into the ICV. I ordered a new ICV, oil and filter for my next oil change from www.getbmwparts.com. It's been 2 weeks and I finally get a tracking number. Well, turns out that UPS lost my package and I'm screwed out of close to $80 bucks I spent. Apparently getbmwparts doesn't do customer service by phone or offer a live person to talk to, so I filled out their form online, but I haven't heard anything from them. If anyone from getbmwparts is reading this please contact me.

So here I sit after close to a $1000 in repairs frustrated with this problem. I owned an Integra with a built motor I put together in my garage which was faster and more fun to drive than my Bimmer, but sold it as it was a high maintenance car..yet I've spent more time and money on my ZHP =[

I just wanted to share my frustration and vent a little bit.

Thanks for reading.
We don't sell hoses, are you sure you're not referring to someone else?
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Toadfart

You're right it was ECS not EAS. I'll make the changes in the post.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
I don't think M54s get cold idle issues from VANOS seals. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere. If you're having problems with getbmwparts.com, either evan or jason is usually online on AIM during business hours, or you can PM them on here.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:36 PM   #7
Toadfart

Awesome. Anyone know their screen names?
Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Toadfart

Spoke to Jason from Tischer.

Went and bought a new lower intake boot from local dealer and replaced the cracked one. Still stalls.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #9
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Time to read the error codes in the engine. It maybe possible your fuel filter is clogged up and not giving enough juice.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Toadfart

Will the car store codes even with no lights on the dash? I have a fuel filter ready to be swapped when I have free time. Will report results if it takes care of the issue.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
There are always codes in the car. Even your radio and door mirrors report error codes. Although you probably won't have anyway of getting to them without going to the dealer. The check engine light only shows when there are critical errors. The less critical ones are meant to be read when the car is serviced by the dealer.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #12
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
I have a similar issue that I too assumed it was vanos related. I read the engine codes today and it turns out its code 119, which is the Throttle Body Assembly. I am going to take it out and see if anything is wrong with it and clean it then maybe order a new one if I cant fix it.
Toad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Toadfart

Replaced fuel filter today and still have issues.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
pylt

My Ride: 330i
Just a shot in the dark, but how old are your sparkplugs? If you're anywhere near 100k miles, why not replace those too?

Good luck.
pylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Toadfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylt View Post
Just a shot in the dark, but how old are your sparkplugs? If you're anywhere near 100k miles, why not replace those too?

Good luck.
I'm at 57k miles. Replaced 3k miles ago.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Toadfart

Update!

Replaced the entire CCV / oil separator system and hoses.

No dice. I'm really thinking about trading this junk in for something that runs right.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #17
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
How about paying for a proper diagnostic of the issue????? You have thrown so many parts at the car that is comical. Are these all new OEm BMW parts or the cheapest part you can find? But the reality still is you are replacing parts with really no diagnostic behind them!!! Then you complain how expensive the car is??? I am sorry i just don't get it?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Toadfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
How about paying for a proper diagnostic of the issue????? You have thrown so many parts at the car that is comical. Are these all new OEm BMW parts or the cheapest part you can find? But the reality still is you are replacing parts with really no diagnostic behind them!!! Then you complain how expensive the car is??? I am sorry i just don't get it?
The parts I replaced were defective. Vanos rattle gone. Broken thermostat replaced. Cracked intake boots replaced. Goose honk from CCV fixed with replacement. Learn how to read. The parts I replaced had issues, I didn't blindly replace them. I'm glad you're easily amused. Simple things for simple minds.

This forum is here to help each other resolve problems. If you have nothing positive to contribute to this website why don't you get the **** out?
Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #19
a_n9ne

i had this problem then it went away, but from searching it doesnt look like a "proper diagnosis" (as jbeurotech, the genius, suggested) will help isolate the problem. If mine ever comes back im gonna replace the adjuster unit

*large annoying gif removed*

a_n9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 AM   #20
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad21 View Post
I have a similar issue that I too assumed it was vanos related. I read the engine codes today and it turns out its code 119, which is the Throttle Body Assembly. I am going to take it out and see if anything is wrong with it and clean it then maybe order a new one if I cant fix it.
Why not test the throttle body and related components a FAULT IS NOT AN INDICATION A PART NEEEDS TO BE REPLACED. Seriously I am not trying to be a dick but look at all the parts you have replaced already. You either have very bad luck or some didn't need it.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote