E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
xlash

My Ride: '05 325i MT
Messed up ICV clean. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if it was already torn or it happened while I was yanking it out but the hose connecting the intake boot and the ICV ripped. What are my options? Is there some kind of tape I can use to join up the pieces in the interim so I can at least drive my car? If so what sort of symptoms am I looking at?

Also how do I clean the ICV? Do I soak in it deep creep or how would I go about it?

Here's what it looks like now. The black rubber thing on the right is the part that's ripped.

Thanks!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Cleaning icv...many cycles of rinsing in swirling about, dumping upside down...spraying upside down and rightside up...swirl around. I used at least a whole can...for $5, wanted it clean. When you hear valve inside clicking solidly, it's clean...but I'd clean more anyway! Also, don't forget the connectors with plastic safe elec. cleaner.

On the tear...can't you get a friend to get you to dealer...they'll have one...if not...superglue holds rubber well...and some high heat tape...but think it'll be a dicey repair no matter how you slice it. Might as well get new gasket for TB while you're there and clean it...and DISA too! Of course, Maf with maf cleaner.

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
817bimmerfanatic

My Ride: is schön!
Send a message via ICQ to 817bimmerfanatic
i think thats the part that goes to the intake elbow. I just replaced mine the other day and it cost me like $12 from the dealer. Just het a new intake elbow
Old 07-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
xlash

Nope, no friends nearby. Can I use super glue or high heat tape as a permanent solution? The reason why I don't want to go the intake elbow replacement route is because the screw thing that tightens the intake boot to the intake manifold is pointed towards the rear of the car and slightly downwards making it impossible to get to with a screw driver.

Doug you didn't mention what cleaning solvent you used.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
817bimmerfanatic

My Ride: is schön!
Send a message via ICQ to 817bimmerfanatic
its already off right?! so just unscrew it and when you put it on the car just point it so its easy to get to
Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
xlash

no the lower portion of the boot is still attached to the intake manifold. the ripped up elbow is how i was able to get the ICV out.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
MacFady

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Then get the replacement boot and a new clamp, tear/cut the old one off. I guess you could tape the whole thing back on for the short term. I had a large hole in the same location and taped it until I could get the replacement on, and I used Duct tape. Not sure I would go that route when that whole section is completely torn off. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
Nope, no friends nearby. Can I use super glue or high heat tape as a permanent solution? The reason why I don't want to go the intake elbow replacement route is because the screw thing that tightens the intake boot to the intake manifold is pointed towards the rear of the car and slightly downwards making it impossible to get to with a screw driver.

Doug you didn't mention what cleaning solvent you used.
First, use brake/parts cleaner on icv, tb, and disa...maf cleaner on maf. And, if getting elbow soon...then replace TB gasket, disa o-ring...and maybe, if you're ocd like me, the icv grommet and holder!

No, not really a permanent solution...I'd remove it and try with superglue and then maybe aluminum duct tape...holds up to heat...but very easy to rip...so you'll need to be gentle getting it all back together.

If no dealer, then honestly, order online and get to it.

Oh...sorry...use a 5 or 6mm hex socket for the clamp, or wrench, or an elbow ratchet if you have one...or get to it from underneath and then be sure to turn it to where you have access for the next time...I have screwhead facing front on engine...and use an 18" screwdriver...parallel with ground and long side of engine...there's a neat route there that I used...sure you can find it. After you loosen it up a slow turn or two with hex head, might be able to turn it the rest of the way off with just a bit in your fingers...or really short screwdriver...until you can spin it up.

Oh, if you can live without car for a day or two...just try snipping off clamp and get new one with new elbow.

Common brake...don't think superglue and tape is going to hold up for long...but then again...if it survives the getting on icv, it just might hold for a while...but it ain't permanent by any means!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Last edited by dmax; 07-07-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
xlash

i've tried everything. there's only about 1/2 inch of space to fit the 4mm socket and ratchet to take that O-ring off. i tried going from underneath but at this point i am convinced that BMW made sure to make it impossible to work on my exact car. so i went and bought high heat tape that's meant for exhausts. i talked to a bunch of people at autoparts store and nappa auto parts and they all said it would hold up fine for an intake boot if i wrapped it around 5+ times and overlapped the boot as much as possible.

so what are the repercussions if i leave this on for awhile? i have nothing against purchasing an intake boot but i cannot get mine off. i can go without my car for a day but i'm sick of shredding my hands trying to get to that o-ring.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
dmax

as suggested...when you get new elbow, get new clamp and then just snip off the one you have...so you dig a bit into the boot...you're replacing it anyway.

I don't have it, but have seen flexible screwdrivers that many use...or just a wrench...turn 30 degrees at a time...whatever...drink beer...eventually, if you're on it turning, it'll loosen up. No room for that...some number of extensions...also, search removing elbow...many have had issues before...so you're in a good crowd!

Doug

Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
xlash

Thanks Doug. I'll start bright and early tomorrow, clean out the ICV and get that boot removed.....hopefully.

BTW how do I clean the DISA? Do I just spray the black part that extends into the engine?

Last edited by xlash; 07-07-2010 at 09:39 PM.
xlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #12
xlash

So does anybody know what the repercussions are if I run with the high heat tape for too long?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:44 PM   #13
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
^For couple of days, it should hold fine. Some of my friends maintain their cars in low-tech methods..like tapes, glue, etc..lol
But you definitely wanna replace lower boot as soon as possible. Even it's high temperature tape, it doesn't last forever.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #14
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlash View Post
Thanks Doug. I'll start bright and early tomorrow, clean out the ICV and get that boot removed.....hopefully.

BTW how do I clean the DISA? Do I just spray the black part that extends into the engine?
Same parts cleaner...but you should still read some diys on it...one guy had a hard time getting it out...it was broken and he ended up fishing pieces out of engine...so if it doesn't come out easily, don't yank...of course, clean mating surfaces behind 0 ring, or gasket on tb with cleaner on rag to remove any residue/rubber, etc.

I've written some on my adventure to TB around here...anytime you see me, with icv/tb/disa...that'd be them...it's been a few months now...so my memory was better of it all then.

HTH...and, also, +1 on not expecting tape to last very long...beg a local fanatic to give you a lift to dealer and you can give up on the tape idea and get new elbow, clamp, o-ring for disa/gasket for tb (call to make sure they have these parts though--I did have to order the rubber things.

Doug

Old 07-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
xlash

Cleaned the DISA and ICV as well as I possibly could. No luck with the o-ring. If only I could find a way to remove that brake booster line....
Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
Ugh, good luck. Just cleaned ICV no the S54, what a major pain in the ass. Now I think I might have a vac leak somewhere (bouncy idle)
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
xlash

^^ that sux which means you'll have to take everything apart again.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #18
xlash

Nobody's answered my question yet. Is it safe to drive to the dealership in my condition? I know the idle will be crap because there's a massive hole in the Y portion of the boot.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #19
dmax

Nobody wants to be the one to say it's safe...I certainly couldn't.

Search and see if others have run without icv...then plug things up...did the taping idea not work?

One risk is pretty small...of things getting into open icv with no air filter before.

Other risk is open icv...so yea, think it would idle poorly and not run so great. Will it run poorly enough to hurt the engine? I don't think it'll be good for it at all...your car won't sense the big hole as much as it will not have enough gas pumped to get good combustion...I'd guess anyway.

So overnight parts from somewhere isn't possible...certainly extra cost is cheaper than towing or possibly damaging the engine...but let real experts give opinion on risk to engine...beyond stone getting into it...unlikely, I know.

Doug

Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
xlash

I put everything back. I used the tape but it isn't holding it in place very well. I just need to get to the tool store (Canadian Tire) to get a set of mini wrenches and then to the dealership where I've put the intake boot on hold.