E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Will I lose my high beams when I get Xenon's?

I got a halogen setup and want to get Xenon's.

I am confused about losing the high beams thought. I do a lot of night time highway driving so I need these.

My question is

If I get a Bi-Xenon then I will lose high beams for sure correct?

If I get a non bi-xenon then high beams will still work?

For both mod methods LCM flash and capacitor mod?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
If we are talking about after market, any xenon kit with resistors will allow you to keep your inner halogen high beams. If you flash to bi-xenon, you would need a bi-xenon kit or an OEM setup. Then your hi-beams will work, but they will instead readjust the xenons to allow more light output instead of just turning on the halogen hi-beams.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
adaseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1150 View Post
If we are talking about after market, any xenon kit with resistors will allow you to keep your inner halogen high beams. If you flash to bi-xenon, you would need a bi-xenon kit or an OEM setup. Then your hi-beams will work, but they will instead readjust the xenons to allow more light output instead of just turning on the halogen hi-beams.
Where can you buy this bi-xenon kit? From the dealer?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Where can you buy this bi-xenon kit? From the dealer?
Even people selling their old OEM Xenon setups on this forum sell them for around $800. An OEM Xenon setup from the dealership would be $1000+. Most people choose to go aftermarket. You can get aftermarket bi-xenons, but I don't see the point.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
adaseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1150 View Post
Even people selling their old OEM Xenon setups on this forum sell them for around $800. An OEM Xenon setup from the dealership would be $1000+. Most people choose to go aftermarket. You can get aftermarket bi-xenons, but I don't see the point.
I want to buy the OEM bi-xenon headlight off classifieds or eBay. However I need to know how to get it it work properly.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1rasfan View Post
I drive an '05 M3 with the Xenon headlight option. I recently moved to a rural area where the use of the Hi-beams is a more frequent necessity. While using the high beams to search for a lost cat on my property I noticed that the high beam was part of a dual beam headlight and not the separate unit inside the headlight cover. I was surprised to see this as I was told when purchasing the car the Xenons were much better illumination due to the different bulbs and wattage. I checked the Bentley Manual and it clearly indicates two separate headlight units and gives part numbers for the bulbs..Can anyone explain why this is so? The high beams in my E30 325 are better illumination than the current setup in my car. Would it be possible to use the separate high beams and how could I go about changing the setup. Thanks for any insight.
What you have is this:

That controls how your bixenon - 'lock out' - feature works for when you push the headlight stalk out away from you. This causes the HID bulb to send more light "UP" through the projection lenses.

If you pull towards you, it's turning on your inner kidney lights, like this:

There are 3 ways to increase light output:
1) get a 50W Xenon kit - we offer them in the Projector46s, but they can be retrofitted into your existing setup, the problem there is you lose the nifty feature of the bixenon, but you get 33% more light output
2) You can get a xenon fog kit - easy to upgrade - contact us for vendors that sell those - info@umnitza.com
3) Get Xenons for your high beams - highly inadvisable (though the photo above of the M5 shoes HID highs) it's not a good idea they take too long to warm up.

That's quoted for another customer obviously, but:
---
If you have an 02, you'll have to get a new LCM most likely and then reprogram the car for bixenon on top of getting new bixenon headlights. Often the headache and expense isn't worth it.

If you are interested, we offer a Projector46 option that is plug and play with minimal headaches.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
If you purchase a bixenon headlight, you can get the functionality to work but you need to do some wiring and enable the feature on the car's computer. If you install xenons without doing the wiring, you will lose the high beam functionality unless you flash to pass.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
adaseb

What does the capacitor mod do? I heard its takes care of the flicker problem and error light. Is that true?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Capacitors can be used instead of a reflash on the car to prevent flickering and the bulb out warning. This gets around the flash by increasing the resistance on the circuit so it is the same 55w as your current halogen setup. The reason the xenons flicker and cause a bulb out warning is that they operate at 35w which is lower than what a halogen coded car is looking for so it trips a bulb out.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
adaseb

With the capacitor mod what happens to the high beams?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Nothing the idea is that it allows you to install you lowbeam xenons and get rid of the bulb out message while it doesn't do anything to the highbeams (assuming you haven't gotten your car flashed already). I would recommend OEM if you can afford it since I have had such a headache with aftermarket and getting my highbeam inner beams to work again (since I was a moron and decided to get it flashed for bi-xenon without a bi-xenon shutter motor).
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:
Yep, your high beams function as they do now with the capacitors.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #13
adaseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Yep, your high beams function as they do now with the capacitors.
I noticed on your website that you sell the P46 headlights. So for a facelifted sedan its around $340 USD. Does this include both the head lights?

If so why are they much much cheaper than the used bi-xenon OEM headlights?
Old 03-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
rizzo2008

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Quote:
I noticed on your website that you sell the P46 headlights. So for a facelifted sedan its around $340 USD. Does this include both the head lights?

Because they dont have the bi-xenon function or the autoleveling motors.
rizzo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #15
umnitza

There are a lot of factors.

The headlights are all also made in Taiwan, so the prices at the wholesale is lower.
Our headlights with Orion V2 and no HID start as low as $400 shipped, with Xenon error canceling it goes to $450-475.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #16
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Quote:

Our pricing does include a pair. OEM units will inherently be much more expensive but IMO it doesn't justify the increase in price given that the DEPOs offer the same quality and functionality.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #17
adaseb

If I buy the aftermarket headlight can the ballasts be replaced with OEM ballasts? The reason I ask is because there seems to be alot of problems with the aftermarket ballasts as in burning out or starting fires.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
umnitza

No, if you have factory ballasts, they will not always fit.

It really depends on the unit you purchase. If you get D2S based Projector46s (we usually don't have them but can special order them for you), then you would have not issues.

The aftermarket ballasts you are referring to are angel eyes ballasts, ironically, for HID ballasts, OEM connectors from OEM ballasts have been known to cause fires as well.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #19
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Hi. I bought a set of facelift original BMW Bi-Xenons (I can see the spring loaded shutter mask and activate it with my finger when disassembled).

I have yet to install them on my 03 Touring. Sorry for the dumb question but I am still unclear as to how I install them AND get Xenon hi-beam use?

Someone else on here mentioned some wiring and extra parts etc but this thread seems to suggest a re-flash for Bi-Xenon is all that's required?
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

You will need to have the LCM reflashed for the bixenon application and integrate the wiring for the Bixenon motor on the vehicle as well. Search for bixenon retrofit as it has been covered.