E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
OK new game gun guys! Build my AR!

Hey gents-

I'm looking to pick up an AR soon so I need someone with knowledge to help me customize it.

I want to make an M4 clone (same barrel length, same spin ratio (i think thats what it is) 1:7?, etc. I also want a gas piston action.

I really don't care what brands are used, but I've heard good things about Rock River and I really don't think you could go wrong with Colt...

Optics will be decided later but I could certainly use some advice on sights.

Show me what you've got! Price is of no concern at the moment so don't let that restrict you.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
Mine....
Spikes Lower
Stag tacticcal Stock
RRA LPK
CA Pivot verticle grip

Noveske Light Reece 14.5 upper for DI
or
LWRC m6a2 upper for gas piston - What you want.

Best gas piston upper if you ask me. LMT a close second, but the front block is ugly.

Aimpoint, Eotech or Acog Trijicon for optics

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu

Last edited by learthworml; 03-04-2009 at 12:20 AM.
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
Wes

Make sure to get a UAV Jammer.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
I've got both of my AR's sitting on Double star Lowers, one was a complete lower, the other had a parts kit (RRA).

Both are 1:7 twist, one is a midlength CMMG 16" and the other is a BCM m4 profile. In terms of optics, Aimpoint >> Eotech. Trijicon Acogs are nice....but extremely pricey.

Sorry, no pics...I'm not keen of my gun pictures floating around the interwebz.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
david05111

No sweat about the pictures thing I totally understand

What's the standard barrel length of an m4?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
No sweat about the pictures thing I totally understand

What's the standard barrel length of an m4?
14.5" + 1.5" flash suppressor. It has to be 16" to no be considered SBR.

Get a Sun Devil lower....so pimp

http://www.sundevilmfg.com/products.php

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
14.5" + 1.5" flash suppressor. It has to be 16" to no be considered SBR.

Get a Sun Devil lower....so pimp

http://www.sundevilmfg.com/products.php
So is the flash supressor considered in the length under the law or would I have to get a 16 in barrel? I guess you could get a tax stamp for an she couldn't you?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
SLVR JDM

Quote:
So is the flash supressor considered in the length under the law or would I have to get a 16 in barrel? I guess you could get a tax stamp for an she couldn't you?
Since the suppressor on M4 variants are fixed, it is legally considered a 16" barrel. No tax stamps required.

** Removed **
Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
david05111

Quote:
Since the suppressor on M4 variants are fixed, it is legally considered a 16" barrel. No tax stamps required.
Ok cool. Where would I buy one like that? Is there a specific brand that I should look at that has the 1:7, etc?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
SLVR JDM

Any major manufaturer will sell them - anything from just barrels to complete uppers. You might also try gunbroker.com, although I don't know what prices are like right now. Rock river has a substantial backlog for complete rifles, but (from what I hear) not a whole lot of waiting on parts. Without knowing your budget it is hard to give a recommendation - look through the other AR threads around here for the brands to stick with.

** Removed **
Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
david05111

Quote:
Any major manufaturer will sell them - anything from just barrels to complete uppers. You might also try gunbroker.com, although I don't know what prices are like right now. Rock river has a substantial backlog for complete rifles, but (from what I hear) not a whole lot of waiting on parts. Without knowing your budget it is hard to give a recommendation - look through the other AR threads around here for the brands to stick with.
Ok. So what other parts do I need other than a lower, upper, stock, and sights (assuming the upper is complete)?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
SLVR JDM

Assuming you get a complete lower, you're in business. Ammo and mags!

** Removed **
Old 03-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Stag here... I'm a lefty

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
6-speed

My Ride: E21 > E46
I'm looking at the stag arms too. lefty version. Ive been reading and its seems like its spilt 50/50 with the lefties shooting right handed ar's and left handed ar's.
6-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #15
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Forgot to leave you a link David....it goes over what is/are important features on an AR.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81462

Great info!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
My advice is get whatever you can before its too late.
if you want good, get a custom by white oak or compass lake, get a krieger barrel, tell them you want it 1:7. I have 2 lowers, a spike and a RRA and both are good. For a stock, I like magpuls carbine stock. Optics go with eotech, trijicon, or aimpoint. I have a CAA monopod with taclight slot.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
3erdriver

My Ride: The Subway/NYC Taxi
you're asking for two different things...if you want a gas piston, wait for the civvy version of the 416. LWRC is nice, but expensive. If you want an M4 that's quality, go CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) for the upper and any lower will work with a quality LPK. I have a Sabre Defense lower with a RRA LPK, Vltor stock. With CMMG they're backed up but you can customize pretty much everything about the upper...handguard, barrel, sights, EVERYTHING...best M4 clone I have owned.
3erdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
david05111

Thanks for the replies guys...I've learned a ton!

I've read alot of good stuff about the hk416, but we probably aren't going to see it in the US for a loooonng time.

I think I may buy a complete ar and forget building it. I think I might grab a Colt M4A3 6920...it's di, not gp but there's always a conversion...anyone have experience with one of these?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erdriver View Post
you're asking for two different things...if you want a gas piston, wait for the civvy version of the 416. LWRC is nice, but expensive. If you want an M4 that's quality, go CMMG (www.cmmginc.com) for the upper and any lower will work with a quality LPK. I have a Sabre Defense lower with a RRA LPK, Vltor stock. With CMMG they're backed up but you can customize pretty much everything about the upper...handguard, barrel, sights, EVERYTHING...best M4 clone I have owned.
Civilian 416 is going to be 4k. Twice the price of the LWRC. The civilian 416 is also going to have proprietary parts that will not allow it to be used on AR platform lowers like the 416.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys...I've learned a ton!

I've read alot of good stuff about the hk416, but we probably aren't going to see it in the US for a loooonng time.

I think I may buy a complete ar and forget building it. I think I might grab a Colt M4A3 6920...it's di, not gp but there's always a conversion...anyone have experience with one of these?
Colt is one of the top AR manufacturers. Can't go wrong with the 6920. They are pricey right now though. I prefer low profile monilithic uppers though. Check out Noveske Rifles.

SQ sound system