E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Kye7

My Ride: BMW 2003 330xi
Question about oil changes and motor flush

I'm about 3000 miles into a synthetic change done at lube n go. Now that I'm more experienced in cars I'm not sure I completely trust their work. So! I want to do it myself.

About 1000 miles ago, I changed my Valve Cover Gasket to find it all cracked, and also the top of my engine and deep down in there was some sludge, I managed to get all of it out that I could.

I hear that the capacity for our engines (2003 330xi) is about 7.2l. Is this correct?

I wanted to use GUNK's motor flush to try to get some more of the sludge out.
What I want to know is, is this a good idea?
I thinking I would drain my old oil, buy some cheap wal-mart brand conventional oil and put that in my engine with the engine flush, let it run for about 10 minutes, then drain it again. Then fill it with my regular Mobil 1 syn oil.
Obviously replacing the oil filter afterwards.

Would it be harmful to run conventional oil in my engine for 10 minutes? I doubt it.

Opinions and feedback are appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by Kye7; 12-10-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Kye7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Yes, lube n go, whatever they are called. All of those quick oil change places are complete garbage and they do more harm then good. Don't go there anymore.

Personally I haven't used any engine flush products. I would just give the car a nice long drive, give it some good high rpm's here and there before your oil change and just keep doing so.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
Kye7

That won't clean out any of my engine sludge - And doesn't offer me any insight as to if it's a good idea to use a cheap oil to flush the gunk out, or if regular oil will harm my engine (for 10 minutes idling while the flush does its job)
Yes, I'm doing all the oil changes on my cars now, won't be needing their services anymore!

Last edited by Kye7; 12-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
...synthetic change done at lube n go. Now that I'm more experienced in cars...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7 View Post
That won't clean out any of my engine sludge
Lube N Go is a no-no. Proof of your inexperience right there. It would be wise for you to wise up and follow the solid advice given by Solidjake. You apparently do not understand oil dynamics.

If you knock that oil sludge off too quickly and it plugs up any oil passages, you are going to be replacing an engine. U betta reckonize.

The best way to go about it, if the engine is otherwise running fine, is to do it gradually over time with a quality oil that has an ester base, such as Redline. It will slowly dissolve the sludge and deposit it into the filter where it belongs. Because why ruin an otherwise properly running engine? Why do any extra work when you don't have to?

Follow the advice given to you for free by those who know exponentially more than you know about the subject for which you asked advice. Good advice in itself.

Last edited by hitbyastick; 12-10-2014 at 01:47 PM.
hitbyastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
Kye7

As I was saying... I am much more experienced now and have done all the maintenance objects on my car, Bently manual and all, as well as maintenance on my other two cars including oil changes, just not on this car because it was done only 3000 miles ago. Which is why I said I don't trust Lube n' go anymore, you even quoted me on the part too. No need to discredit

I'm aware of the oil passage concern, but has anyone actually had this happen to them? I've read around countless posts on here and other E46 Forums and never seen anyone have that problem.

Idles a bit rough when in drive, other than that, it is running fine, I'm repairing my DISA valve though as soon as it ships.
Are there any other oils that are ester based? $45 for 5qt of Redline is ludicrous.

Still wanting to know - Will conventional oil in my engine have adverse effects if it's in there for 10 minutes? I know engines are pretty tough, but being BMW, I can never know.

Last edited by Kye7; 12-10-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #6
athayer187

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Regular changes with a good synthetic (M1 is fine) will gradually break up deposits. That's what you want, they're not doing any harm where they are, and will eventually go away.

1988 535is - EAT chip, style 5 wheels for track, style 29 wheels for street, urethane UCAB's,
urethane trans mounts, 500/450 IE Coilovers, UUC SSK, Mason Engineering strut bars,
Hella H1/H4 headlights, Schroth Rallye 3's, Dinan 25/19 swaybars, 750i brakes
2004 330xi - stock except for UUC SSK, RE RSM's, Powerflex CAB's, Poweflex RTAB's, Koni Yellows
athayer187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
jared_wiesner
All Natural

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Ok, to give you a straight answer. No, a short run with regular high quality mineral oil will not hurt your engine.

It will still experience more wear than it would with a high quality synthetic. Especially during start-ups.

That all being said, If you wanted to do 1-2 quick succession oil changes for the sake of cleaning the engine out using some decent mineral oil that is fine.

I would not however recommend using any cleaning/sludge removal additives. Those things are very hard on engines and frankly are not usually necessary. Just give her a couple quick oil changes. Like the good advice others have already given you, get it nice and hot before each change.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 12-11-2014 at 08:48 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
It seems that you were seeking approval for something you already made your mind up to do. You didn't get the response that you wanted and dismissed Solidjake's and others advice. I imagine your next thread will be seeking advice for the strange burning smell coming from the engine.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
Kye7

Thank you! I'll change the oil on quicker intervals then.
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
grimma

My Ride: 323ci 1999
I did flushed my E60 with liqui- moly engine flush! you add it to the oil and after 200 km of driving u replace oil and filter! only bad thing was my vanos gasket developed a leak! and was dripping oil after on coolant hose! nevertheless after I did my vanos seals and I can tell you my upper part of engine was very very clean! car had around 180000 km.
grimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #11
Kye7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimma View Post
I did flushed my E60 with liqui- moly engine flush! you add it to the oil and after 200 km of driving u replace oil and filter! only bad thing was my vanos gasket developed a leak! and was dripping oil after on coolant hose! nevertheless after I did my vanos seals and I can tell you my upper part of engine was very very clean! car had around 180000 km.
I hear that flushes are only designed to sit in your engine for 5-20 minutes, and letting the car idle. Because the flush is very strong and can be harmful to your seals. Did you follow the directions on the liqui-moly container? I have never heard of driving so far with an engine flush inside of your engine. Perhaps this is why you developed a leak?
Old 12-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #12
grimma

My Ride: 323ci 1999
I know what you think but I bought the liqui moly 'can' which had instructions to add the product in the engine oil and drive like this for 200 km of normal driving - after that oil and filter replacement! For be sure I found another liqui moly product which had instructions to add it to engine oil and than idle it for 10 min! afther that engine oil and filter replacement! I went with first product!
grimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Engine flushes are kind of ok if your engine is semi clean. Still noone can predict if it loosens up dirt and the engine starts leaking oil. The worst case scenario is that it loosens up the dirt too much and reduces oil flow and your engine is fcvked. Never use these products on engines with full of sludge.

If someone wants to use these products then the proper/safest way possible in short is:
1) Change oil and filter. Run engine so it's hot.
2) Put the engine flush in. Run engine as adviced in the instructions on the bottle.
2) Change oil and filter. Run engine for some time so that any left flush liquid/sludge starts moving and mixes with oil/filter. 5 minutes or 5 hours is fine.
3) Change oil and filter. Drive for 3000-5000 miles.
4) Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Koninkaulus; 12-31-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #14
wallofgrath

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
You don't need to get Redline or ester based oil. The correct oil to buy at Walmart for the rest of the car's life is the Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 synthetic. Or the 0w30 Castrol at Autozone/Advance Auto. They are only $5/gallon more than the cheapest synthetic.

Last edited by wallofgrath; 01-01-2015 at 09:26 AM.
wallofgrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
Koninkaulus

My Ride: E46 323 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofgrath View Post
You don't need to get Redline or ester based oil. The correct oil to buy at Walmart for the rest of the car's life is the Mobil 1 or Castrol 0w40 synthetic. Or the 0w30 Castrol at Autozone/Advance Auto. They are only $5/gallon more than the cheapest synthetic.
Mobil generates more cold slime/mayo in the oil separator than any other brand. This is not an issue in warm conditions but in freezing weather Mobil is not adviced. Castrol is Ok, but not the best. Anyway, you are correct. Just wanted to point that one out

Last edited by Koninkaulus; 01-01-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Koninkaulus is offline   Reply With Quote