E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #41
hockey_fan

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
yes, GM pan is smooth and has 21 bolts.
ZF is different.
Thanks for that...that eases my mind quite a bit...now to figure out what kind of fluid to use.
hockey_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #42
captkhaos

My Ride: '02 330Ci
This is where you want to look (type this into your search engine): BMW SD 92-113 6/2001
Sorry but I couldn't put the link in for you.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #43
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
I am about to do my fluid, hope all goes well
Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #44
Drexellake

My Ride: 05 330ci Convertible
Looks like I'll be playing this game soon. Can't wait. Looks like the hardest part is figuring out which fluid to use.
Drexellake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #45
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
if you have a ZF tranny, this is where you should look for type of fluid.

http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=c...parent=56&pg=1

They sell ZF tranny fluid cheaper than dealer. I used compatible Amsoil fluid LT71141 before I found this site.

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #46
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
When I changed ATF in my GM transmission I hunted down a source for the factory fill Texaco ETL-7045E fluid. I bought 7 x 1 liter bottles of Texamatic 7045E from Bavauto for $12.00 each. I didn't want to buy fluid from a BMW dealership because they pump it from a drum into containers and I had zero confidence that whoever did that pumping would actually select the correct fluid to begin with. Hence the aftermarket choice.

The fluid is expensive and when you ask around how much you need for a drain and refill (with the pan dropped and a new filter installed) you get some real funny answers.

I bought 7 x 1 liter bottles, I still have one of those bottles unopened. After my transmission was re-filled I still had fluid left in the 6th one liter bottle I had opened. So, I needed between 5 and 6 liters to achieve the fill.

If I ever do another transmission drain and fill (and I'm not planning to) I will probably use Dexron VI fluid instead of the Texaco 7045E factory fill. Here is a brief explanation why.

The GM transmissions used in our BMW's were also widely used in many General Motors vehicles. My A5S 360R transmission is known as the 5L40E when it is installed in a Cadillac. Same transmission. Back when GM designed our transmissions, they were validated and specified using Dexron III fluid. That old Dexron fluid recipe was the standard of the day even though the fluid itself was a fairly crude mixture with widely varying characteristics.

Also back then, BMW wanted a fluid with longer life characteristics ("Lifetime Fills") and GM simply had nothing to offer. So BMW worked with Texaco to come up with the recipe for the 7045E factory fill used in our cars.

Later, for the 2006 model year, GM developed and released their version of a modern and sophisticated long life fluid in the name of Dexron VI. GM states in writing that Dexron VI should be used as the replacement fill for all older GM transmissions that used previous Dexron versions.

Dexron VI is an excellent product, is widely available, cheap and compatible with our GM transmissions.

That's why I'd probably use it next time.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-07-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #47
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is a pretty good universal fluid and is usually readily available.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #48
Mr Podman

The people at Mobil say:

"The new Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF will meet the requirements of Dexron III. In the product description we recommend Mobil Dexron-VI ATF for GM vehicles manufactured in 2006 and later. For vehicles older than that, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is still a perfect fit."

Much of what they are communicating is based on legalities protecting GM's marketing of Dexron VI. You might want to compare the two fluid specs particularly as it relates to long term shear characteristics. It might be on par with Dex VI, it might be on par with Dex III.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
Hogan773

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
The people at Mobil say:

"The new Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF will meet the requirements of Dexron III. In the product description we recommend Mobil Dexron-VI ATF for GM vehicles manufactured in 2006 and later. For vehicles older than that, Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is still a perfect fit."

Much of what they are communicating is based on legalities protecting GM's marketing of Dexron VI. You might want to compare the two fluid specs particularly as it relates to long term shear characteristics. It might be on par with Dex VI, it might be on par with Dex III.

Podman at what mileage did you do the change, and did you drop the pan or just change the fluid?

If I do this I'm definitely just gonna go Dex6 - it's available everywhere
Hogan773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #50
HLG600

My Ride: German
Redline D4 ATF meets the specs and is a proven fluid. $11/quart on Amazon, shipped.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #51
Hogan773

Dex 6 can be had for like $5 or $6 a quart though.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #52
Mr Podman

Redline D4 is essentially an old Dexron III formulation and it has a cult following on BMW message boards.

Dexron VI is a far superior fluid from the perspective of longevity.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-07-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #53
HLG600

My Ride: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
Dex 6 can be had for like $5 or $6 a quart though.
Quote:
Redline D4 is essentially an old Dexron III formulation and it has a cult following on BMW message boards.

Dexron VI is a far superior fluid from the perspective of longevity.
Redline D6 is $11.50/quart on Amazon. I'm sure another brand is cheaper, but to me it's worth paying a bit extra for a reputable product with many success stories posted.

I considered D6, but from what I gathered, D4 will mix more easily with the old fluid. And since there is no drain plug on the torque converter, there will be some mixing, even with an extra flush.

I'm going to stick to 50K mile intervals for the ATF change from here on out to be on the safe side.
HLG600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #54
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Anyone who needs confirmation on this sensitive topic, check my sig below. Backed by professional results.

Maybe if you guys fuucking searched before digging up ancient threads.
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #55
Mr Podman

Quote:
Podman at what mileage did you do the change, and did you drop the pan or just change the fluid?

If I do this I'm definitely just gonna go Dex6 - it's available everywhere
I did it including dropping the pan and changing the filter at approx 65,000 miles.

Lot's of crud on the magnet at the bottom of the pan and the fluid was discolored. It needed a change.

I bought the Meistersatz brand service kit at Pelican Parts for the transmission filter, gasket and 20 housing bolts and was very happy with the quality of their product.

I used a simple angled torx wrench to access the drain bolt with a length of pipe on it for added leverage. Be sure to loosen the fill bolt first so you know you can fill later. If I recall correctly, it is a different size than the drain bolt.

In terms of shift quality after the change, I didn't feel any difference. More of just a maintenance thing.

Last edited by Mr Podman; 08-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Hogan773

Quote:
I did it including dropping the pan and changing the filter at approx 65,000 miles.

Lot's of crud on the magnet at the bottom of the pan and the fluid was discolored. It needed a change.

I bought the Meistersatz brand service kit at Pelican Parts for the transmission filter, gasket and 20 housing bolts and was very happy with the quality of their product.

I used a simple angled torx wrench to access the drain bolt with a length of pipe on it for added leverage. Be sure to loosen the fill bolt first so you know you can fill later. If I recall correctly, it is a different size than the drain bolt.

In terms of shift quality after the change, I didn't feel any difference. More of just a maintenance thing.

Yes my understanding is T45 on the fill and T40 on the drain but I might have that reversed

For the fill bolt you got in there with an angled torx wrench?

Any tricks to putting the pan back up, or did you just lie under it and hold it up with one hand while hand threading a bolt or two with the other?

Did you leave the car running for the final fill or did you just fill, turn on the car, shift a few times, then turn off and do the final fill till it dribbled out?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #57
blkonblk

My Ride: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
Anyone who needs confirmation on this sensitive topic, check my sig below. Backed by professional results.

That's exactly the same company - California Transmission Supply Co. - on my previous post. I found out about them after I had replaced my ATF.

Life is a journey not a destination, so enjoy the ride!
blkonblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #58
Mr Podman

Quote:
Yes my understanding is T45 on the fill and T40 on the drain but I might have that reversed

For the fill bolt you got in there with an angled torx wrench?

Any tricks to putting the pan back up, or did you just lie under it and hold it up with one hand while hand threading a bolt or two with the other?

Did you leave the car running for the final fill or did you just fill, turn on the car, shift a few times, then turn off and do the final fill till it dribbled out?

My cryptic note say torx 45 for both drain and fill but in the back of my mind they were different (like torx 40 perhaps).

I bought a set of cheap torx keys that look like the one pictured below from Amazon.com and used a length of pre-cut and threaded black pipe (about 18") from Home Depot for added leverage.

I followed the fill and check level procedures in the Bentley manual without exception.

The particular filter kit I chose had a well formed gasket that stayed in place with just a few of the 20 screws in place. Some brands have floppy gaskets that would be a nightmare.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #59
Mr Podman

You also need a light duty torque wrend for the 20 pan screws. The torque spec is something like 8 ft lbs (check me on that) and I remember thinking that if I was tightening them without a torque wrench I would have felt the need to crank them quite a bit more.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #60
Drexellake

My Ride: 05 330ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post

That's how I found this thread. Doh!

Last edited by Drexellake; 08-07-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Drexellake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atf, transmission, zf tranny