E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #41
B-Man

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Wow. Great job! I've done nav installs in other cars and it took about 10-12 hours (Beer and StreetFighter slowed us down ), but this is on a whole other level. Looks very clean.
B-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #42
g4LLiT0

My Ride: 99 Bmw
i want one of these!!!!! bad!great write up,come to aruba and istall mine
Old 09-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #43
James@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to James@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
http://www.euro-spec.net/catalog/docs/DD_Install.pdf

Enjoy the German to English translation. I laughed my a$$ off at some parts, probably mostly because I was a little tired after working so many hours

Updated Link for install instructions:

http://www.euro-spec.net/store/docs/DD_Install.pdf

And here's a link for the cutout template:

http://www.euro-spec.net/store/docs/...n_template.pdf
James@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #44
kylek283

My Ride: 04 330i SMG
Just wondering since I think im about to do this install, but can the mike for bmw assist be used for the bluetooth? I just thought that would be easier, especially since I dont use BMW Assist and its just kinda sitting there unused. Why have 2 mics installed and only 1 works?
kylek283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #45
bz01bimmer

My Ride: 2003 M3
Send a message via Yahoo to bz01bimmer
My nav antenna is inside the speedo housing space when you take out the tach assy.
There's a little lip all the way down. The GPS works fine there but I have a Kenwood unit. Thought you might want to try that instead of having your GPS ant. out by the windshield.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #46
Ashhong

My Ride: 2002 325i
hey guys, i think im going to finally get the courage to do this install pretty soon. im thinking of ordering the mount and things from Janus, but the bezel from Rich. would this idea work out? it would eliminate the need to modify the width of the bezzle right?
Ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #47
lowrider

My Ride: modified 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to lowrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post
hey guys, i think im going to finally get the courage to do this install pretty soon. im thinking of ordering the mount and things from Janus, but the bezel from Rich. would this idea work out? it would eliminate the need to modify the width of the bezzle right?
Just call up who you are ordering your kit from, i assume Euro-spec, and ask them if the unit you're looking at installing will fit into the bezel.

I believe they said mine was a rare case of fitment issue, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Picture courtesy of EAS
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Ashhong

i was actually going to get it from the Janus seller on ebay. i tried emailing Rich a while back but he didnt respond. ill give Euro a call.

are the R17 wiring harness and antenna adapter sold by BMW? or are they both aftermarket? also, wats the difference between the R17 and the Metra 70-8590 that other users have used?

Last edited by Ashhong; 10-12-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #49
///M3-QTR

My Ride: IR M3
Good job ! why didn't you install the mic at the factory location ? near the sun roof button ?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #50
Ashhong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3-QTR View Post
Good job ! why didn't you install the mic at the factory location ? near the sun roof button ?
thats where i plan to install mine. but is it even possible to get the mic there? do you have to remove the whole headliner since its wired?
Old 10-16-2009, 04:03 PM   #51
lowrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3-QTR View Post
Mine is 2000 and doesnt have that opening, on the sunroof actuating button

Quote:
thats where i plan to install mine. but is it even possible to get the mic there? do you have to remove the whole headliner since its wired?
No, i think you can just route up the A-pillar and tuck it in the front of the head liner, then take out the light/sunroof actuator part of the headliner. GL

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #52
burntass

My Ride: ///m3 vert, 05 MCS
bump. this is awesome. really inspiring me to do this for myself.

2005 ///m3 cb/cinnamon vert: weekends
2005 Mini Cooper S/jet black hardtop: daily
1988 e30 325ix/gray hardtop: gone
2002 e46 tiag 325ci vert: gone
burntass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #53
Ashhong

gonna be doing this in a day or 2. can someone elaborate on the temperature sensor? where exactly is the new install location? just in front of the vents?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #54
lowrider

Quote:
gonna be doing this in a day or 2. can someone elaborate on the temperature sensor? where exactly is the new install location? just in front of the vents?
It's just somewhat lower. The installation kit from Euro-Spec had a location for it in the metal box.

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 PM   #55
808elise

My Ride: OG E46 M3/AW E46 M3
I just got a 505 that I want to put in. Is the the carbon fiber bezel and and the other stuff with that kit going to work? I am wonder exactly what parts I need to order to make the 505 work. I would perfer the carbon fibre bezel. Do I have to get the Janus kit/custom install to make it work? If I do need the Janus kit is there a place in U.S. were I could buy it or do I have to buy from overseas? I am trying to get this install within the next few days at a local shop here in HI and don't really want to wait for parts from overseas.
808elise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:29 AM   #56
Ashhong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
It's just somewhat lower. The installation kit from Euro-Spec had a location for it in the metal box.
thanks good to know, havent taken a look at my install kit from them yet. one thing im confused about, is the cutting of the box. do you cut it with the lid on it as well? its hard to tell from some of the tutorials ive seen. i need to find a template, doing this in like 36 hours..
Old 11-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #57
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Nice. It looks like a lot of work. And that's great that your dad is helping you with the work, too. I had my car at my parents' house one day, I was doing my sirius install, and my dad just gives me a dirty look at asks what the hell I'm doing with it now, and why can't I just leave the car alone?

Nice work!

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #58
Comanche5

My Ride: BMW 330ci ZHP
Excellent DIY.

Last edited by Comanche5; 11-29-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Comanche5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #59
weareweird69

My Ride: 325xi
Ill be doing this to our 325xi soon, and was kind of curious...

Does having the door cut down for the passenger side slow down the air flow at all? Along with having the large hole in the box for the radio? No one has mentioned any air flow issues. was just curious if you noticed anything.

BTW, EXCELLENT DIY, Ill be using your photo's to install mine!
weareweird69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #60
turbo331

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325Xi
Sound Quality

I was just wonder how the over-all sound quality is. Is there a great improvement over the factory HU while still using the factory amp? I am preparing to do this install and just want to know if there are any real sound benefits with the HU upgrade or will it need to replace factory amp also to get some good sound. Thanks

By the way install looks very nice. Can't wait to start cuttin
turbo331 is offline   Reply With Quote