E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 03:50 AM   #61
Ashhong

My Ride: 2002 325i
wont you be using the headunits amp?
Ashhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #62
lowrider

My Ride: modified 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to lowrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashhong View Post
thanks good to know, havent taken a look at my install kit from them yet. one thing im confused about, is the cutting of the box. do you cut it with the lid on it as well? its hard to tell from some of the tutorials ive seen. i need to find a template, doing this in like 36 hours..
Yea, leave the whole box together when you do your cutting. Template in post #43, but be careful and always do a reality check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche5 View Post
Excellent DIY.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0486 View Post
Nice. It looks like a lot of work. And that's great that your dad is helping you with the work, too. I had my car at my parents' house one day, I was doing my sirius install, and my dad just gives me a dirty look at asks what the hell I'm doing with it now, and why can't I just leave the car alone?

Nice work!
Thanks Yea, I'm definitely blessed. Have a family that pretty big into automobiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Ill be doing this to our 325xi soon, and was kind of curious...

Does having the door cut down for the passenger side slow down the air flow at all? Along with having the large hole in the box for the radio? No one has mentioned any air flow issues. was just curious if you noticed anything.

BTW, EXCELLENT DIY, Ill be using your photo's to install mine!
Thanks! I supposed you are in-fact making the lower foot-well valve small in its cross sectional area, but I have yet to notice a difference in air flow. As for modifying the A/C box, my A/C still works great and I notice no difference in performance even to this day. Everything is also fully functioning even to this day as well, just wanted to let everyone know, as it has been some time since I finished the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo331 View Post
I was just wonder how the over-all sound quality is. Is there a great improvement over the factory HU while still using the factory amp? I am preparing to do this install and just want to know if there are any real sound benefits with the HU upgrade or will it need to replace factory amp also to get some good sound. Thanks

By the way install looks very nice. Can't wait to start cuttin
No huge sound quality improvement, for that you would probably want an aftermarket tunable amp for the speakers. The high-output pre-amp from the head unit is nice though and allows the system to be louder and more powerful, but in my case it's sort of all for not since my speakers are stock, 10 years old, and heavily used haha

Thanks for the kind words everyone and I wish you success in your installs, I know most of us are quite meticulous so I'm sure they will all come out great!

Picture courtesy of EAS
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #63
lowrider

Quote:
wont you be using the headunits amp?
Yea you use the headunit's pre-amp, but that gets routed into the factory amp, in my case. It would probably be best to use an aftermarket amp in conjunction with the new headunit.

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 12-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #64
Ashhong

guys, i need quick help! im installing it right now and i dont see a blue/white wire in the metra harness for amp system remote turn on, only a blue one for power antenna. i remember reading about this but i dont remember what to do, help pleasee

i read i think on BSW to hook up the blue/white system remote control wire to the blue wire in the aftermarket harness, but then what do i do with the power antenna wire?

edit2: is the "system remote control wire for my subwoofers amp remote control wire? that sounds right..

Last edited by Ashhong; 12-19-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #65
lowrider

Quote:
guys, i need quick help! im installing it right now and i dont see a blue/white wire in the metra harness for amp system remote turn on, only a blue one for power antenna. i remember reading about this but i dont remember what to do, help pleasee

i read i think on BSW to hook up the blue/white system remote control wire to the blue wire in the aftermarket harness, but then what do i do with the power antenna wire?

edit2: is the "system remote control wire for my subwoofers amp remote control wire? that sounds right..
Yea, connect blue to blue/white and that should send the signal to the factory amp to power up when you turn on the car or headunit. I'm not sure if in my harness the blue wire was called "power antenna" or not

Just try it, and if you get sound, wallaaah!!

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #66
Ashhong

but on my AVIC harness i also have a blue wire called "power antenna" wire, where does that one go? i plugged it all in and im not getting any power even. using a voltometer thingy and it seems like im not getting any power even in the factory harness. wtf....
Old 12-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #67
Ashhong

ok i figured that crisis out...i was just trying to test the headunit only, so i didnt connect these two plugs that i guess are necessary in order for it to receive power lol

new question, how did you connect your SWIPS? guides im reading say to cut the wire and only attach the SWIPS to the wire leading into the steering column. did you just tap it into the wire above the glove compartment?

Last edited by Ashhong; 12-19-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #68
lowrider

Quote:
ok i figured that crisis out...i was just trying to test the headunit only, so i didnt connect these two plugs that i guess are necessary in order for it to receive power lol

new question, how did you connect your SWIPS? guides im reading say to cut the wire and only attach the SWIPS to the wire leading into the steering column. did you just tap it into the wire above the glove compartment?
Yea you can tap into any of the red/white/yellow wires as they all come together in a box above the fuse box called the "communication bus" (kbus) This is an interesting system that controls almost all electric systems in the car on the same wire based on different frequencies sent down the wire. For instance, the mirrors, memory seats, blinkers, steering wheel controls, etc. are all connected to the same wire.

So you tap that wire, and hold down the buttons to send that signal down the line so the SWIPS can 'learn' that signal.

In theory this sounds great, but I never got mine to work right so I unplugged it.

GL man

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 AM   #69
Ashhong

doing the pac-swi-ps right now. a little bummed out that u cant program it to pause the audio...guess ill have to settle for mute
Old 12-20-2009, 03:50 AM   #70
Ashhong

stupid ass SWIPS wouldnt work right. i know it was the right wire because it was doing something, i must make it work. took my dad and i 13 hours to do this install and my subwoofer. exhausting! oh and i bought the wrong antenna adapter so now i have to take it all out when the right one comes. awesome
Old 12-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #71
thisisanfield

My Ride: BMW 325i
Quote:
stupid ass SWIPS wouldnt work right. i know it was the right wire because it was doing something, i must make it work. took my dad and i 13 hours to do this install and my subwoofer. exhausting! oh and i bought the wrong antenna adapter so now i have to take it all out when the right one comes. awesome
Wow, sorry to hear it. I'm getting ready to do the double din install over the holidays with a buddy. I decided to pass on the SWIPS but otherwise everything is pretty much ready to go. I really hope we can make it happen
thisisanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #72
Ashhong

getting everything to fit correctly was the hardest part. i have to take it out one more time and make everything perfect. and i think my SWIPS install was bad because i cut the wire at the wrong place, so i will update that when i try again. just make sure you have a lot of time

hey lowrider, did you plug the units ground wire into the wiring harness as well? or did you ground that to the car with the mute/parking brake? just wondering if it matters. for some reason my parking brake hack isnt working right...and i drilled it into the same bar that you did

Last edited by Ashhong; 12-20-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:10 PM   #73
lowrider

Quote:
getting everything to fit correctly was the hardest part. i have to take it out one more time and make everything perfect. and i think my SWIPS install was bad because i cut the wire at the wrong place, so i will update that when i try again. just make sure you have a lot of time

hey lowrider, did you plug the units ground wire into the wiring harness as well? or did you ground that to the car with the mute/parking brake? just wondering if it matters. for some reason my parking brake hack isnt working right...and i drilled it into the same bar that you did
You have to ground the unit, black wire I believe, and then move the 'mute' wire to a different position and ground that as well. You also need to ground the parking brake wire, green one I believe.

Here the "how-to" that I used: http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=19689

Goodluck man, send me a link to your thread if/when you post up pictures

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 12-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #74
Ashhong

i did all that. ive also done this successfully in my previous car, so im not sure what the problem is. but did you ground your units black wire to the car? or did you connect it to the black ground wire on the R17 wiring harness?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #75
lowrider

I grounded mine to the car, but I'm thinking it shouldn't matter.

Picture courtesy of EAS
Old 12-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #76
Ashhong

so i noticed the other day that the bezel underneath my headunit as well as the car dash itself gets hot and cold with my A/C settings. does that mean theres a leak in my hvac or does that always happen and i just never noticed it? pretty sure i sealed it up all the way..
Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #77
Fobanginvtek

My Ride: 03' 325i sedan
Really good DIY. I want to do this too, but doesn't someone on this forum make custom double din bezels? I think he sells em for $100 or so...........I really need to do this but I don't want to do so much gutting up in the car, any other conclusions?
Fobanginvtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:57 AM   #78
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
Great job. I like it, and like the look.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:51 AM   #79
BIMMERBRY

My Ride: bmw 323ci Alpina spe
I am looking to put a reversing camera on my 323 Alpina spec 2000 model, that has hk sound system and tv monitor/satnav.Do you know if this is a simple job.I have purchased a license plate camera that replaces the plate light as it looks ok and simpler to install. do I connect to tv monitor or tv module in the boot.
BIMMERBRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #80
jookdoree

My Ride: 2005 330ci Coupe e46
wow... crazy install... im gonna put in a z110bt in my 330 but im gonna have the "pros" do it... i dont have the guts, or the tools to do the install myself...

what did you use to glue the modified valve? and how is it holding up with the heater/heat ? i was told that there was a problem with something "melting" or "not being able to "hold together" when the heater is used. thanks .
jookdoree is offline   Reply With Quote