E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #1
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
M3 Raven Roll Bar (color matched Silver Grey) Installation + Harness

Just wanted to get some info out to you guys about roll cages, originally posted on M3forum. Weldless cage if in case some of you guys might consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKumarM3 View Post
Like most of my favorite modifications on my car a thread by Mikymu inspired me and got my mind rolling. It was November or something and Mike made a post about roll bars. He was interested in going Kirk or AutoPower. I had considered both, since 2 good friends of mine, Tonggi and NYBeater, were running Kirk bars. I liked the way they looked but after Mvez chimed in on the Raven Roll Bar, I was sold. A bolt in roll bar, unless your welding there are no compromises, that would retain the rear seats (or what part of the seats you wanted to keep). I needed it.

I called John Dimoff of Raven performance (www.ravenperformance.com) in early January of 2009 and told him that me and my friend (lightwerkz) were interested in purchasing one of their bolt in roll bars. He told me that he had one that was 90% made and another one he could make in about 1 month. He said he had an issue w/shipping to the US, but I told him that would be fine since me and Lightwerkz would be driving up to Toronto to pick them up (driving 8 hrs and staying one night is cheaper than having 2 roll bars shipped across our border to the north). I gave him 6 weeks and left a 50% deposit and in 6 weeks, we drove up and received the bars.

The Raven shop is awesome. As you walk in there is a Hartge M3 motor. Which is nuts

Then you are greeted by an E92 M3 that is being gutted and having a true weld in roll cage put in.

Then there is a Phoenix Yellow M3 that has a full cage welded in it already - absolutely nuts

Our bolt in roll bars were assembled by Steve @ Raven, who is a master at what he does. They utilize this jig in order to get the bars perfect each time - so there is no fear of a bar that will require user modification

To make this:

We actually borrowed Lightwerkz' Honda Pilot to transport the two bars. This is how we set them up

As some of you may read, Lightwerkz color matched his roll bar to his car, Titanium Silver. I was going to go w/Flat black or something along those lines, but thats so boring. Plus I trust Lightwerkz and their painting skills, so I went ahead with colour matching my bar to the car - Silver Grey (Paint Code A08). It wasn't going to be like Mikymu's powdercoated GT3 bar, which is not a great match, sadly. I needed to make sure it was great work - luckily the place where we got the paint was a good place.

The process of installing this roll bar is quite simple. You remove the front seats, which gave me time to put on my new Recaro sliders and Speedware Floor mounts. Once the rear seats are removed, remove the center console and shifter gate if you are anal like me and want to keep things ultra fresh. Once those are removed, remove the lower seat cushion and identify the 2 unused seat belt torx bolts on the right and left and undo them. They also have brackets hovering over them. Undo those and bolt down the bottom portion of the raven roll bar. It will look like this

View of the T50 Torx

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
n2Bimmer

more

Quote:
After that is done, its just finagling the outer loop into the car and mounting it up.

Rear view

For the top, you only need to remove that motion sensor while installing and you can put it back on once the bar is in

There are 4 13mm long bolts and nuts that connect the outer loop to the base loop. Then the raven bar utilizes the stock torx bolts. Instead of wrapping the lap belts to a caribiner or the seat belt bracket as others have done, I followed Stable Energies of Garfield, NJ's advice and purchased special brackets for the lap-belt harnesses. These were also attached to the stock factory bolt, which we were told is fine.

Some people complained about how much space was under the front foot of the roll bar. Here is an image of my finger jammed under there. This was me pushing down on the carpet and getting under there.

Once the bar has been bolted in and torqued down, I opted to remove the fold down rear seats to offset the addition of the roll bar (38 lbs), but kept the bottom seat which gave the car a somewhat factory look.

After that it was just bolting up the seats and the harnesses. Before we could mount the seats we needed to mount the 5th and 6th points of the harnesses to the seat. VAC and Stable Energies reccomend mounting these points either to the floor or to the floor mount. VAC actually makes a mount that attaches one side of the floor mount to the other, with holes for eyebolts. I asked the experts at Stable Energies of Garfield NJ what they thought about mounting the 5th and 6th point to the bottom of the floor mount - at the rear, as per instructions from Schroth. They said that it would be great and looked over our methods and approved them. These guys build porsche race cars - no messing around!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

Quote:
After that was done, the seats went in, and the lap belts were hooked onto the points assigned to them, and the shoulder belts went on and we were good to go.

All in all it was one of the best modifications I have done on this car. I always say If i could redo my car I would do coilovers, bbk, ssk, recaros, roll bar, and 4.10 gears ----and a lot of other stuff - as usual :laughhard:

I would like to thank the following people for their assistance with this purchase

Lightwerkz
McMurphDawg
John Dimoff (www.ravenperformance.com)
Mvez for introducing this bar to the forum
Laurette @ Stable Energies (www.stableenergies.com)
Tom@EAS
Danny@Speedware Motorsports
NYBeater
Tonggi

Thanks a lot guys!
thats it
Old 03-09-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
GIVE ME THESE SEATS GUHHHHHHHHHH

Old 03-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Slvr e39

My Ride: Stg2 Dinan M3
Wow that is awesome. Looks like a great product.

That PY is crazy!
Slvr e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
Joker85

My Ride: Individual vert
Send a message via ICQ to Joker85 Send a message via MSN to Joker85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
GIVE ME THESE SEATS GUHHHHHHHHHH

And you give me yours

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=556248
click for pics of my sold car :) Comments are welcome :)
Joker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
DrM3

My Ride: 08 M3, 02 IS300T
Kumar's M3 is insane.
That PY is