E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #61
john36

My Ride: ZHP
Send a message via AIM to john36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhiro View Post
Is your ZHP red?????
Nope it's a murdered out coupe. If you're thinking of a red 4 door zhp in Rockville that car sounds awesome. I always see it around Best Buy on Rockville Pike.

:eurowerkz:
Previous:
05 ZHP 6sp ECIS, Magnaflow cat-back, headers, B&M, Tein SS coilovers 13.97@100.33
04 S4 6spd, k&n, piggies, JHM stg4 clwf, ssk, tune

Current: Looking:)
john36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #62
Superhiro

My Ride: 2006 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by john36 View Post
Nope it's a murdered out coupe. If you're thinking of a red 4 door zhp in Rockville that car sounds awesome. I always see it around Best Buy on Rockville Pike.
Yeah, that's the guy I'm thinking about, I've seen him in G-town too.

Oh and links to pics of your ride, I'm thinking of going a similar route!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #63
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
put in an H pipe before the first resonator... rasp is GONE.... and i even took out the last resonator (the small one in the back)
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #64
Superhiro

Is this H-Pipe you speak of similar to an X-pipe? A local fanatic is selling her SS xpipe and I was thinking this might be something I could get easily.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #65
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
I think Stuart (330i ZHP) has/had an x-pipe in his supersprint exhaust (including headers) and said it was still raspy.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #66
jetskier88

My Ride: 330i ZHP S/C TS2+
Send a message via AIM to jetskier88
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I think Stuart (330i ZHP) has/had an x-pipe in his supersprint exhaust (including headers) and said it was still raspy.
hmm i have an H pipe... maybe it makes a difference?
ESS TS2+ - OEM M3 LSD rear end swap - Meth Injection - Recaros PP - Defi Guages - Dinan TB - Headers&M3 Custom Quad Exhaust - UUC LTW Flywhl - UUC SegKev Clutch - Rogue SSK - KW V2 Coils - H&R Sways - TMS Subfrme&Sway Reinfrcmnt - VMR V710 & M PS2's - Brembo X Rotors - USC plate ;-) - and more....

BMW Modding DONE
jetskier88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:51 PM   #67
Superhiro

Yeah, I was talking to Stuart about this a little while back and he recommended a few options. Something like this sounds like a good and not too pricey choice though! Links to where you got your H-pipe plz I wanna look into it.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #68
john36

My Ride: ZHP
Send a message via AIM to john36
Quote:
Yeah, that's the guy I'm thinking about, I've seen him in G-town too.

Oh and links to pics of your ride, I'm thinking of going a similar route!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=666189
An H-pipe could be a good idea I might try it out later this week

:eurowerkz:
Previous:
05 ZHP 6sp ECIS, Magnaflow cat-back, headers, B&M, Tein SS coilovers 13.97@100.33
04 S4 6spd, k&n, piggies, JHM stg4 clwf, ssk, tune

Current: Looking:)

Last edited by john36; 04-14-2009 at 05:02 PM.
john36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #69
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Sos X-pipe and H-pipe similar just a different shape
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #70
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
I think this discussion or rasp/tone is very subjective, particularly depending on your age.

When I was in my early twenties, the louder the better. At 43, it's a different story all together.

It would probably be best to post your age with your response in threads like these. May give some better guidance to solutions for ears of varying ages!

I have a set of Technik Gen2 headers sitting in my garage still for this very reason......
Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #71
ferrarix99

My Ride: 87 325e - 05 M3 Vert
yeaaaa, so i put on headers and im in this boat.

where can we get an h-pipe or would an x suffice, ive seen one on ebay for 40
Bimmerworld Epic Tune | OEM Euro Headers | CSL Brakes | B&B TriFlo | aFe SuperStock | PSS10 | Varrstoen TE37 | V1 | ZKW Lens Swap | Orion Golds
Want your car coded? PM me.
ferrarix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #72
turbo a4

My Ride: E46 325i, E36 318iS
Is the exhaust tone noticeable or significantly deeper with the headers and stock exhaust? I'm looking into headers because i hear they provide more of a HP gain then an exhaust, so I would keep the stock exhaust as is.

Anyone have a sound clip of headers with the stock exhaust?
turbo a4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #73
Superhiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarix99 View Post
yeaaaa, so i put on headers and im in this boat.

where can we get an h-pipe or would an x suffice, ive seen one on ebay for 40
No idea, I'm probably gonna do exhaust next... keep us posted with how it works out for you if that's the route you go though. I saw a few people who have gone with the Rogue Ikon and it's improved the sound quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo a4 View Post
Is the exhaust tone noticeable or significantly deeper with the headers and stock exhaust? I'm looking into headers because i hear they provide more of a HP gain then an exhaust, so I would keep the stock exhaust as is.

Anyone have a sound clip of headers with the stock exhaust?
Ummm yeah it's in this thread If you do a search you'll find several others on the board too.

Quote:
Ok, I just took this video a few minutes ago. This is after an almost 30 min ride to work and the car has warmed up. It is also not under load so it does NOT have the same tone you hear while driving. IF it were always like this, I would be fine with it.

My little P&S camera didn't really capture how loud it really is either. I'll try to get a better vid soon.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #74
toastygt30r

My Ride: 2002 330 ci
When I first installed my headers I did it with my stock exhaust. Then I purchased the Einsman exhuast and it sounds fine. Also with the lights. We moved the O2 sensors further down my exhaust line and it stoped throwing codes.
toastygt30r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #75
Superhiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
I think this discussion or rasp/tone is very subjective, particularly depending on your age.

When I was in my early twenties, the louder the better. At 43, it's a different story all together.

It would probably be best to post your age with your response in threads like these. May give some better guidance to solutions for ears of varying ages!

I have a set of Technik Gen2 headers sitting in my garage still for this very reason......
I'm 28 and although the sound of the rasp is great at lower RPM's at WOT it sounds terrible IMO. It gets very tinny and annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastygt30r View Post
When I first installed my headers I did it with my stock exhaust. Then I purchased the Einsman exhuast and it sounds fine. Also with the lights. We moved the O2 sensors further down my exhaust line and it stoped throwing codes.
I've thought of that as well. I'll prob just get software and a new exhaust setup first though. Hopefully that will fix my rasp and CEL issue as well as a bit more powah
Old 06-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #76
CrisB02

My Ride: 330I
Send a message via AIM to CrisB02
Your car doesn't really rasp sorry to burst your bubble. If you want to smooth out your exhaust your intake will have something to do with that the better the element the smoother the sound. For your car to get the full rasp it needs to be a full free flowing open air element intake with higher compression in the block and a free flowing exhaust with no cats and mufflers just straight pipe. Your exhaust is not that loud, go to a reputable muffler shop and tell them what you want and they will be able to complete your setup. Give me a minute and I will post a video of my exhaust for you guys to judge.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #77
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by john36 View Post
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=666189
An H-pipe could be a good idea I might try it out later this week
Did you get a chance to try this out?

Superhiro, did you ever try an H-pipe?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #78
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Hiro, I think we have two options, trying out an Ikon, buying a borla, or waiting and seeing if the magnaflow cat-back they are building will fix our problems.

I tried looking into just replacing the forward resonator with a manaflow unit, but that didnt work out (details and original idea found here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700120).

Did you ever get an Ikon?

rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #79
Superhiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisB02 View Post
Your car doesn't really rasp sorry to burst your bubble. If you want to smooth out your exhaust your intake will have something to do with that the better the element the smoother the sound. For your car to get the full rasp it needs to be a full free flowing open air element intake with higher compression in the block and a free flowing exhaust with no cats and mufflers just straight pipe. Your exhaust is not that loud, go to a reputable muffler shop and tell them what you want and they will be able to complete your setup. Give me a minute and I will post a video of my exhaust for you guys to judge.
It really actually does That vid was not a good representation of what it sounds like IRL. Also when sitting parked and actually under load it sounds totally different. When a buddy pickled up a newsed M this summer, he and I went for a drive and our cars sounded almost identical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Did you get a chance to try this out?

Superhiro, did you ever try an H-pipe?
Nope, but the X-Pipe on the Magnaflow should help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
Hiro, I think we have two options, trying out an Ikon, buying a borla, or waiting and seeing if the magnaflow cat-back they are building will fix our problems.

I tried looking into just replacing the forward resonator with a manaflow unit, but that didnt work out (details and original idea found here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700120).

Did you ever get an Ikon?
So I kept me eyes open for a used Ikon and never saw one. But thankfully the Magnaflow with built in X-Pipe finally was produced. So I just ordered it and we'll see if it helps
Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #80
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
just gonna toss this out there for what i'm doing (sound is second in my head) i'm gonna run a Y pipe from flowmasters 2.5 to 3' then have a 3 inch exhaust all the way from the Y pipe. i'm 25 and i don't care how loud my car is i don't want to hear half the words coming outta my favorite passenger anyway check Jegs.com for parts of exhaust can get really cheap good quality items. i'm gonna run no cats no res just headers Y pipe straight pipe. the more restrictions you put on your system the less your gonna gain from it. fast and loud slow and quite. i know ACS has deep tones far deeper than the rasp of SS. just my 2 cents go loud!
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote