E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
33ZeroXi

My Ride: BMW 330XI
Hit the bottom of my car.....

So i was driving over a little bump prob going 1mph tryin to to scratch my front lip wen after i cleared the bump i hear my car slam on it.... must have been cuz my car had 4 people in it... anyways what should i check for.... i looked to see if the oil pan was cracked and i didnt see any leakage so i assumed it ok but what should i check for tom if anything?
|AFE Intake|ZHP Shift Knob|Smoked Corners, Side Markers and Tails|Blacked Out Grill|Blacked Out Emblems|Umnitza Predator Orion V2 Angel Eyes|M3 Trunk Lip|Eibach Pro-Kit Springs|18" VMR GunMetal CSL Reps|CSL M3 Front Bumper|B&M SSK|Carbon Fiber Interior Trim|30% Tint|6000K Bulbs|ACS Roof Spoiler|Interior LEDs|

Hit the clutch, hit the gear, hit the gas & Im gone
33ZeroXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
I scratch mine all the time
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #3
33ZeroXi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
I scratch mine all the time
I used to know guys with vdub that would crack their oil pan since they were so low.... im not even that low its jsut that i had my car full.... so should i bother to go under and check or no?
|AFE Intake|ZHP Shift Knob|Smoked Corners, Side Markers and Tails|Blacked Out Grill|Blacked Out Emblems|Umnitza Predator Orion V2 Angel Eyes|M3 Trunk Lip|Eibach Pro-Kit Springs|18" VMR GunMetal CSL Reps|CSL M3 Front Bumper|B&M SSK|Carbon Fiber Interior Trim|30% Tint|6000K Bulbs|ACS Roof Spoiler|Interior LEDs|

Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
i would check to be on the safe side, more then likely it's just a scratch but better safe then sorry
Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
Your car doesn't look low enough for any major damage to be caused, even at full capacity--but for the peace of mind you should check, nothing's as unsettling as staying up all night thinking about the same thing over and over.
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
This has happened to me a lot. Just last week i slammed it pretty damn hard on a bump (Didn't angle it right). It sounded like an explosion, checked everything out, it was perfectly fine.

Always angle it so both wheels don't go on at the same time.

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
ZHPEE

My Ride: 330zhp,M5,CayenneGTS
yeah.....i wouldn't worry about it. You were going as slow as a blind old lady. (if there is a blind old lady reading this.....opps). At that speed I doubt anything happenned other than a scratch. Happens to me all the time here and there.......just scratches, nothingelse. Now if you were going fast, and you hear that, then I'd be worried......then there might be some damage. Don't fret over it... do a visual and make yourself feel better.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
I don't think our cars have major components exposed underneath it. You'd probably hit a cover/brace/bracket before you actually broke anything significant. I scrape because the piping after the cats dips low then goes back up. (I put headers and the welder is an idiot). If you scraped you should be good. A good dive + "pound" sound could be different depending on how low and how hard (fast). I had an eclipse once that scraped all the time (slammed on H&R race), my cross member was bent like no other. lol
Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
i know how u feel i scraped twice, once it sounded like the cover underneath the car and the second one might have been my exhaust

but i checked it all out and all is well, just be a little more cautious now that ur lowered
Old 03-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33ZeroXi View Post
So i was driving over a little bump prob going 1mph tryin to to scratch my front lip wen after i cleared the bump i hear my car slam on it.... must have been cuz my car had 4 people in it... anyways what should i check for.... i looked to see if the oil pan was cracked and i didnt see any leakage so i assumed it ok but what should i check for tom if anything?
Why were you trying to scratch your front lip, and who is Tom?

jk

There are plenty of things you could have scraped. There are two rubber air dams in front of your front wheels. These usually scrape pretty easily and they are just rubber so no harm. Usually these will make a loud, "hollow", sounding scrape. Slightly aft of your front wheels is the central jacking point, which is part of the front structure brace so it is made of metal. If you hit this, you would actually feel the scraping through your seat and steering wheel and the sound actually sounds like a piece of metal dragging on the ground. Your oil pan is slightly higher than this central jacking point so I don't think you have to worry about that.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #11
33ZeroXi

k thanks guys ill check it all tom jsut to be safe