E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #41
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
TIP:

hey here is a tip for anyone who has a lot of trouble with installing back on the alternator cause it's so tight, when you first take it out using a prybar, watch out the for expansion tank coolant lines, and then spray PB blaster on the bottom end nut. when time to reinstall it. thread the bolt into the nut (while off the car) and hit it a few times with a hammer until you have easy putting it back in. it should really help a lot. and dont forget to tighten it really well so that the nut can slide back into place.
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #42
X-vert

My Ride: 01 330i & 04 Tahoe
I don't suppose this leak would cause the same symptoms as a VCG leak? Got that smoking smell from time to time and seems to be coming from the back of the block.
X-vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #43
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
If you smell smoke then it's almost always the valve cover gasket (VCG), not the oil filter housing gasket.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #44
AlexTe46

My Ride: 2001>325i>sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbee View Post
Just did the oil filter housing gasket and the CCV...had a leak from both...only difficult part was replacing the alternator...that required some patience and a rubber mallet ...replacing the CCV is a lot easier with the alternator and oil filter housing out of the way...even managed to get the hoses off without breaking them...turns out that the oil leak from the CCV was due to a split in the vacuum hose...
what is the CCV
AlexTe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
easyIsle

My Ride: 02 330i
crankcase ventilator, under intake manifold.

lots of info if you search
easyIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #46
Pat330i

My Ride: 2001 330i E46
I just did this DIY (good job beberle!) this past weekend before changing oil. After one day, I'm getting oil leaking out from the bottom of the oil filter housing. Perhaps some of the six filter housing bolts weren't torqued enough? I'm pretty sure it's not the gasket as it's new and I double-checked that it was in place (with two sets of eyes) before replacing the housing. Any ideas?
Pat330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #47
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
Did you clean the engine block surface? Mine had pieces of the old gasket on it when I removed it. You have to carefully remove any contaminates. Don't use screwdrivers because it will scratch the aluminum surface. Don't overtorque the bolts either... steel bolts going into alumimum block is a torque wrench MUST. Only thing I can think of other than the gasket moved while you were reinstalling... either way, you have to go back in '

Luck!
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #48
sudeep30

My Ride: bmw 325i 2002
well :: i had the same oil leak and like most people on forum deriving multiple theory till I decided to try to "beberle" ideas,, at the end i just want to say that i found multiple links that helped me on my way but "beberle" was primary one..ive uploaded pix on google pix and most of my pix showing removal of Alternator which was for me the main hurdle..also im not ur regular mechanic so i dont understand technical words so ive described in laymans language..

the links that helped me on my way were

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1284446 (fan removal better displayed)

Oil Filter Housing Gasket DIY w/ some pics
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=659100

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm (fan removal)

and finally the pix that i took while repairing my oil leak problem

http://picasaweb.google.com/sudeeep3...eat=directlink

Thanx for ur time
sudeep30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #49
sudeep30

To get to OIL LEAK PROBLEM ONE HAS TO GET RID OF ALTERNATOR WHICH IS IN THE WAY…BELOW ive put lot of pix to enable removal of alternator out of the way …While doing the PROCESS below I came a/c lot of links which kindda helps !! but the main motivation came from " Beberle" ..Thank you " Beberle "..

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1284446 (fan removal better displayed)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ing+gasket+diy (WHICH was the most helpful)

I think I missed it but don’t forget to remove the batt conn @ bak of the bmw and lot more MISSING STATEMENTS which are covered in diff forums..

Also this is the link that i made and also im not ur regular mechanic so i m not at all technical hence my pix xplain in layman terms
http://picasaweb.google.com/sudeeep3...OBLEMSEPT2009#
Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #50
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
do you have to drain the oil to do this?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #51
odgamma15

My Ride: 2003 330 ci
Thanks to the OP... did it 2 weeks ago following the instructions... no problems what so ever

Thanks!

odgamma15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #52
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
do you have to drain the oil to do this?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #53
soro92

My Ride: 2003 330I
I,ve had this oil leak for awhile now, just cleaned the block and will double check after driving tomorrow, but I'm sure this is the source since the oil was accumulating right behind the filter housing where SSM1991 pic shows. Originally I thought it was coming from the CVV but that area is clean and dry. It looks like next weekend's project. And no Rocklee, you don't have to drain the oil to replace this gasket.
soro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:56 AM   #54
Pat330i

My Ride: 2001 330i E46
beberle,

Yes, the engine block surface was cleaned. The old gasket, which was very hard, came out in one piece. There were no solid contaminates left over. I can't imagine the new gasket having moved too much, as we carefully made sure it stayed in place going in. I suppose it was residual oil from the engine side. I haven't seen oil on the floor for a couple of days and the dipstick oil level is only about a millimeter down from the subsequent oil change, so hopefully that was it. Also, the bolts were torqued at the 22 N-m spec that you provided. I couldn't find this spec in Bentley's, so I was just wondering where you got it from.

I'm not gonna stress out about this now, though. I'm now having misfire/idling problems.

Thanks,

Pat
Pat330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #55
sudeep30

To get to OIL LEAK PROBLEM ONE HAS TO GET RID OF ALTERNATOR WHICH IS IN THE WAY…BELOW ive put lot of pix to enable removal of alternator out of the way …While doing the PROCESS below I came a/c lot of links which kindda helps !!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ing+gasket+diy (WHICH was the most helpful)

I think I missed it but don’t forget to remove the batt conn @ bak of the bmw and lot more MISSING STATEMENTS which are covered in diff forums..

Finally this is the link for GETTING ALTERNATOR OUT TO GET TO Oil Filter Housing Gasket
http://picasaweb.google.com/sudeeep3...OBLEMSEPT2009# or
http://picasaweb.google.com/sudeeep3...eat=directlink
Old 11-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #56
lhendrick

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat330i View Post
beberle,

Yes, the engine block surface was cleaned. The old gasket, which was very hard, came out in one piece. There were no solid contaminates left over. I can't imagine the new gasket having moved too much, as we carefully made sure it stayed in place going in. I suppose it was residual oil from the engine side. I haven't seen oil on the floor for a couple of days and the dipstick oil level is only about a millimeter down from the subsequent oil change, so hopefully that was it. Also, the bolts were torqued at the 22 N-m spec that you provided. I couldn't find this spec in Bentley's, so I was just wondering where you got it from.

I'm not gonna stress out about this now, though. I'm now having misfire/idling problems.

Thanks,

Pat

As you may have found out by now a lot of idle/misfires are caused by a hole in the rubber flexible boot that connects the ouput side of the MAF to the intake manifold. It is close to the headers and it just seems to tear where it is accordian shaped. Very common and only and hour to change out and costs about $25 for the part.
lhendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #57
kgvickers

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I recently purchased a '99 323i for my son and this car has this oil leak. It's on the list.

I've got two years of working on my '98 328i and my wife's '97 528i under my belt. What has shocked me about this new engine is how difficult it is to access anything under the intake manifold.

So, my question is: While all this crap is out of the way, will I have reasonable access to everyting under the intake? I'm considering replacing the CVV (and all associated hoses) and all the vacuum lines I can get my hands on.

Or, should I also pull the intake for complete access?

Thanks for all the excellent write-ups!

Keith
kgvickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #58
jumbee

My Ride: 2000 328i
no need to pull the intake..remove the alternator, remove the oil filter housing then you will have clear access to the CVV and all vacuum hoses
jumbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #59
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgvickers View Post
I recently purchased a '99 323i for my son and this car has this oil leak. It's on the list.

I've got two years of working on my '98 328i and my wife's '97 528i under my belt. What has shocked me about this new engine is how difficult it is to access anything under the intake manifold.

So, my question is: While all this crap is out of the way, will I have reasonable access to everyting under the intake? I'm considering replacing the CVV (and all associated hoses) and all the vacuum lines I can get my hands on.

Or, should I also pull the intake for complete access?

Thanks for all the excellent write-ups!

Keith
Once you have the alternator and oil filter housing assembly out of the way, it opens up a lot of room and makes the CVV much easier.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #60
N8330

My Ride: 2002 330CI
Great post, Brian. Kudos for writing this up for everyone. I changed mine out Friday night and it was a piece of cake. Thanks again!
N8330 is offline   Reply With Quote