E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #61
wvgrbc

My Ride: 03/745i 02/330ci
i just did this two days ago. I also replaced the oil separator and all the associated hoses. I also replaced the thermostat. everything went together just fine, but when I was done the car is hard to start and does not idle right. I've verified that all the electrical connections are properly made up. I don't think you can misconnect the connectors - they aren't interchangeable - still, i must have done something wrong. any ideas?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...car+will+start
wvgrbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #62
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Question, To all you guys that have done this, have you also removed the fan? using the "special" tool?
Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #63
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
Question, To all you guys that have done this, have you also removed the fan? using the "special" tool?
I plan on removing my mechanical fan just to clear some room. Don't know if it's necessary but it can't hurt. Only takes a few minutes to remove.

For anybody that has done this already, would you mind posting a list of tools you used?
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #64
TX325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Did this about 2 months ago.
I did not have the tools necessary to remove the fan, so I just did it with the fan on. Wasn't too uncomfortable.
TX325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #65
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX325i View Post
Did this about 2 months ago.
I did not have the tools necessary to remove the fan, so I just did it with the fan on. Wasn't too uncomfortable.
WOO, Thank you. Gave me some encouragment. I like to remove as little as possible.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM   #66
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I don't know how in the world you would get this done without taking the fan off. It literally takes 5 minutes to take the fan off and frees up a ton of room....what's the problem with taking it off?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #67
TX325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartman View Post
I don't know how in the world you would get this done without taking the fan off. It literally takes 5 minutes to take the fan off and frees up a ton of room....what's the problem with taking it off?
I stated in my previous post that I did not have the tools to remove the fan.

The only part that i remember to be difficult to do with the fan on, was removing the top belt. Other than that it wasn't really in the way of anything i was doing.

And this DIY can be done without removing the fan because i did it.

Last edited by TX325i; 01-26-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #68
n2Bimmer

Cool, Ya ive replaced my belts without removing anything. Passed the belt behind the fan and made it work.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 AM   #69
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
i had the "enjoyment" of replacing the filter housing/assembly last weekend - broken tab when the primary belt tensioner broke
Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #70
lagoe46

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via MSN to lagoe46
Just wanted to throw down a quick thanks to the OP and all those contributing made the job really an easy one. As for removing the fan, it defenitely makes life easier, also you dont require any special tools if you have a manual car, but I do believe that you do need the fan tools if your car is an AUTO (i actually have those from my other bimmers anyway.) If anyone has any questons, I can be reached on PM.
-AL
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #71
n2Bimmer

wont a long arm 32mm wrench work
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #72
TX325i

Quote:
wont a long arm 32mm wrench work
Yes it will. I did not have one though. Also need something to hold the pulley from turning.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #73
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX325i View Post
Yes it will. I did not have one though. Also need something to hold the pulley from turning.

You know thats intresting that you brought that up. Few months ago i had a BMW shop change out my belts (3 years after my DIY, Got lazy) they did remove the fan however he only used one tool, which was the 32mm, he just spun it and the fan came loose. I did notice that he used a hammer and hit it on the head of the wrench, then spun it. dono why, but he got it off by using one tool
Old 01-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #74
TX325i

Quote:
You know thats intresting that you brought that up. Few months ago i had a BMW shop change out my belts (3 years after my DIY, Got lazy) they did remove the fan however he only used one tool, which was the 32mm, he just spun it and the fan came loose. I did notice that he used a hammer and hit it on the head of the wrench, then spun it. dono why, but he got it off by using one tool
Interesting. I've removed fans on other cars and usually i always need another tool to keep the pulley from turning. Not sure about our cars though.

Could be that the fan wasn't too tight on your car?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #75
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
... he only used one tool, which was the 32mm ... he used a hammer and hit it on the head of the wrench, then spun it ...
That's the 'standard' way of removing the fan for most indy shops and experienced DIYers the past 30 or so years. Just make sure you don't hit your fingers.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #76
n2Bimmer

hmm, ya he didnt even try using anything else. Just put it in and turned it and out it came. Guess you can.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #77
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Come on you n00bs, you should know by now that all you need is one wrench, either 32mm or the equivalent standard size (forgot what it is). Couple hits with a mallet and the fan bolt is loose...the tensioner provides enough resistance. I have had no need for a tool to hold the pulleys in place to do this, and I've had my fan off 10+ times.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 PM   #78
n2Bimmer

^^ good to know
Old 01-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #79
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
Replaced the gasket yesterday. Super easy. Hardest part was getting the alternator back in. The bottom 13mm bolt didn't want to align. A few carefully calculated whacks with a rubber mallet and some creative reverse threading, and it went back in. Took around 30 minutes to get it back in place. Other than that, extremely easy DIY... so easy that I decided to replace the oil separator and associated hoses to make it more difficult. Still wasn't that difficult, just tedious. Just remember to label your wiring harnesses.
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #80
n2Bimmer

Thank you. Good to know. Did you remove the fan?