E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
beberle

My Ride: 2009 328 wagon
Secondary Air Pump Troubleshooting DIY

I've been getting 'secondary air flow system too low' codes from my 330i. I thought others might benefit from my journey.

What does the Secondary Air System do? It's for emissions. On a cold startup, the engine is running rich until the O2 sensors can heat up. In order to meet emissions and not foul the cats, air is forced into the exhaust to 'lean' it out until the engine warms up (about 60 seconds).

1st step- verify the secondary air pump blows air on a cold startup. Remove the clamp and hose from the pump. It's the charcol canister-looking-thing right up front on the passenger side of the engine bay. There is a 1" hose coming from it to the Secondary Air Valve on top of the header. This thing really BLOWS on startup. THe car must be cool/cold or the pump relay won't trigger. Mine worked fine.

2nd step- verify suction at the secondary air system valve. Pull off the suction line at the valve and have someone start the car. There needs to be suction in the line to open the valve on the exhaust that allows the forced air from the pump into the exhaust. This seems to be a common problem- cracked suction line anywhere from under the intake manifold to around the side of the valve cover. My hose looked good and was providing good suction.

What next?? The valve is supposedly another common failure point. It gets cooked by the exhaust and sooted-up. Should the valve fail in the open position, it will allow exhaust gasses into the air pump and destroy the air pump through heat and moisture. I tapped on the valve and grabbed it just for the heck of it... I was giving up. What's this?? Something wrong w/ the air hose on the back side next to the valve.

I removed the hose from valve and found a big hole melted in it. That would explain the 'air flow too low' codes. I duct taped it up for a temp fix just to make sure the CEL stays off while the new hose comes in. As far as I know, this is the 1st bad Hose in the Secondary Air Flow system reported. Definitely a cheap fix considering the air pump is $250 and the valve is $100.

1st pic: the air pump above and the valve below
2nd: That's what I call a bad hose. The hole was facing down; couldn't see it.
3rd: Duct tape rules! As long as it doesn't catch fire...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air pump and valve.JPG
Views:	1656
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	306722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Secondary Air pump hose closeup.JPG
Views:	1024
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	306723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose fix.JPG
Views:	777
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	306936  

Last edited by beberle; 03-18-2009 at 10:22 AM.
beberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
JZMC

My Ride: 01 330i
I have the exact same problem.
Just happened last week.
I got the peake tool and it told me immediate it was the secondary air flow low.

I havent checked the hoses, but I am looking at the air pumps, I see there might be two variants.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=11&fg=50
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...15&hg=11&fg=50
Can anyone confirm that those are two different pumps or it is just that one has a lid on it?

Thank you,
JZMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Xelo

My Ride: '01 E46 320i
Yes, there are two versions of the pump.
Xelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
beberle

2 days now and the duct tape is holding fine and no Check Engine Light. New hose should be in tomorrow. Pelican Parts comes through again
Old 03-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
GermnBlt

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to GermnBlt
see my pump is working, the valve beside the pump on the manifold has suction....but im still throwing the codes for Secondary air system flow too low on 1-3cyl & 4-6cyl....what now? Is there a DIY from that point on?

Photobucket
GermnBlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:29 AM   #6
beberle

My next step was going to replace the valve. From what I've read, it's a fairly common failure point. They usually fail 'open' and cook the pump. Maybe they can fail 'closed' or just get too built up w/ carbon? If the $12 hose wasn't going to fix my problem, I was going for the $100 valve.

Please post whatever you do so that we can learn!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #7
dirtbiker245

My Ride: 00 323ci, 02 325i
Thats weird for the hose to have melted like that. Is your motor still running the stock exhaust manifold gaskets that have the heat shield looking thing on it?
dirtbiker245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by beberle View Post
2 days now and the duct tape is holding fine and no Check Engine Light. New hose should be in tomorrow. Pelican Parts comes through again
Good job on saving $350. I wasn't as lucky as you...

RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
JZMC

My Ride: 01 330i
Found this link in an old thread.
Definitely an important diagnostics

http://www.bavauto.com/newsletter/20...newsletter.pdf pg 6 & 7
JZMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by germnblt View Post
see my pump is working, the valve beside the pump on the manifold has suction....but im still throwing the codes for secondary air system flow too low on 1-3cyl & 4-6cyl....what now? Is there a diy from that point on?
replace the $15 dollar salmon colored relay!!

on mine everything tested that it was working fine, but every now and then randomly it wouldn't and would trigger the light back on. Ever since I replaced the relay months ago I haven't had a problem

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
DonovanM

My Ride: Fern Green 328Ci
Crazy! I had the same problem just recently. Different engine too, M52TU - but probably the same hose (which was discontinued and replaced by a new PN#).

Mine never threw an SES light, I was just poking around my engine bay and noticed a frayed hose and wondering WTF it was for. I just replaced the hose, the rest of the system appeared to be working fine (was circulating air just fine).

The only thing I may have noticed (and this could be completely wrong) is that my car smokes less on cold startup, which would make sense if air wasn't getting pumped in there before and now it was.
DonovanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
There is a smaller hose that heads back to the back of the engine and to an electric valve under the intake. Mine was completely broken off and brittle, might check that one. Runs by the 02 sensor wire harness and back from there
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
jaymiany

My Ride: 325ci
this problem happened to me i just went to autozone and got a heater hose for $1.75 cut it the same length and just put it on. working fine.
jaymiany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:19 PM   #14
AVR2A

My Ride: 2001 325xi
I just did my oil change and as part of the reset I always check for codes. I don't have a light on, but did get code 19-F6 secondary airflow too low on #4-6. I did a cursory check of the hoses but they seam ok; the one from the pump to the vale is definitely soft though. Any idea what would cause just F6 (without F5)? I would expect if it was a bad pump/valve I'd get both?
AVR2A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
redwood77

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy_JZ View Post
replace the $15 dollar salmon colored relay!!

on mine everything tested that it was working fine, but every now and then randomly it wouldn't and would trigger the light back on. Ever since I replaced the relay months ago I haven't had a problem
what is the salmon colored relay? i keep getting these codes ('secondary air flow system too low') despite replacing the same hose as the OP (mine was badly disintegrated) as well as some of the vacuum line that attaches to the valve. i wonder if more of that line might be degraded where it disappears towards the back of the engine (i don't know how to get back there). in the meantime, i thought i'd replace this relay for $15 if i could figure out what it is ...

thanks
redwood77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
JaySpec
Account Under Review

My Ride: E66,E30,E46
bump this thread good infomation will review it later
JaySpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #17
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2A View Post
I just did my oil change and as part of the reset I always check for codes. I don't have a light on, but did get code 19-F6 secondary airflow too low on #4-6. I did a cursory check of the hoses but they seam ok; the one from the pump to the vale is definitely soft though. Any idea what would cause just F6 (without F5)? I would expect if it was a bad pump/valve I'd get both?
Sorry to bump and ol thread but just got this code today after light came on the dash. And no one answered this, so hoping someone can give it a go and help me with this issue Thanks in advance guys.
moiz21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #18
nborton

My Ride: 2000 328i
Even though this is an old thread. It's got some great advice on the hose. I've had the same codes for a little while. I knew what it could potentially be, but I didn't have the time to do anything about it until recently. Ends up mine is just like others on here. The hose has cracked, or more like melted from heat over the years.

Check the hose first. Cheapest and easiest potential problem to fix.
nborton is offline   Reply With Quote