E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2003, 02:04 AM   #1
SpaceMonkey

My Ride: 02 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Question a/d/s self-install question/help

I'm looking into getting the a/d/s 346is front speakers and 336im rears driven by a PH30 amp. I'd like to keep the stock hu. I have a 330Ci w/HK and would like to do the install myself.

On www.adst.com they recommend running 75x6 to front tweeters, front mids, and rear speakers. My question is will I need both the Peripheral VEN 4 and Vendetta II since I'm using 6 channels?

I'll worry about the subs later. I guess my other question is, is it dumb of me to not want an aftermarket hu?

If I did, I'd consider the Alpine 7894 or 9815, but would prefer the stock look up front.

Any comments appreciated!
SpaceMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:00 AM   #2
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
I don't think it's dumb to keep the stock head unit. I'm actually planning the same maneuver. I know replacing it would sound better but it's important to me to have the perfect fit that only the stock unit provides.

Does the amp yu're using have balanced speaker level inputs? I've read that if it does you don't need the VEN4. I have my eye on a JL 5 channel that does have them so I don't think I'll need the adapter. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I went by a local custom installer last weekend and he tried to tell me that you HAVE to replace the stock HU because all that is running from the head unit to the stock amp is a "data cable". I'm not sure if he was just ignorant of how to rewire the outs from the HU at the amp or if he was smoking something before I got there (or he just didn't want to be bothered and wanted to make more $).

I've also been considering the JL stealth pods but they're $400 from tweeter which seems pricey. Does anyone know where I can get them online at a more reasonble price? If not, I'm considering putting a couple 8" MBQuart behind the armrest in the back (I don't have the pass through). Could I use the trunk as the box for these or is the cavity way too large? Maybe I would be better off using free air subs. If anyone knows of 8" units that will sound decent please recommend. I don't need to shake the neighborhood but a nice deep base would be appreciated.

-Mark
zameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
for a good 8" unit I always advise the solobaric. Love it.
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #4
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
Your sound quality will improve a lot with a new Head Unit though.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 04:45 PM   #5
zameus

So no word on where to get the Jl Audio Stealth Boxes?
Old 02-28-2003, 03:21 PM   #6
Hota

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
You need the just the Ven 4 (more)

You need the Ven 4 even if your amp takes speaker level inputs. too.

You need only the Ven 4 because the stock head unit sends out 4 channels. The Ven 4 goes in between your head unit's signals and your new amp. The amp will then take those 4 input channels and output 6.

Zameus - The Ven 4 does NOT convert speaker level signals into line level. It converts differential signals to a ground based signal (RCA). You need the Ven 4 if you want to get rid of your factory amp.

SpaceMonkey - Keep your stock headunit. The HK unit is actually very good and you won't notice much of a difference with an aftermarket one. It's definitely not worth the loss of steering wheel controls. Plus with a new headunit, your taking the chance of introducing excess noise into your system due to the loss of the differential twisted-pair (nose canceling) wires going to your trunk.

Also, the a/d/s 346is speakers are too big to fit in the stock location. Don't believe the a/d/s online documentation. If you call them, they will confirm that the 345is are largest you can go in a E46 without modification to the door.

You're about to have an awesome system. Good luck!!!
Hota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:44 PM   #7
zameus

I was going by what I read in David Bagby's Stereo Saga Article. He mentioned that someone he knew is running a Sony with balanced inputs and his system works fine without the VEN4. I assume he used some other means of converting to RCA connectors.
Believe me, I'm not trying to sound like I'm any kind of authority. I just started researching the stereo upgrade a week ago and there's a lot of info to digest. So far the people on this forum have been extremely knowledgable and helpful and I'm very thankful of that.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:25 PM   #8
KaCee

My Ride: 2004 M3 vert
Any way to get a GB on the Stealtbox?...maybe get 5 or so of us that are interested and see if we could get a good deal????? Will the SB fit an '02 M3? Maybe need to ask that question first.
KaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #9
SpaceMonkey

That makes perfect sense about the VEN4. And that sucks about the 346is, since I already ordered those. Hopefully I won't have to cut into the metal too much.

As for subwoofer, is it better to have 2, or will 1 be okay? I'm leaning towards getting one for now. Which also leads me to my two choices in amps:

6x75 or 8x50

I'm leaning towards the 6x75 for now, using channels 5&6 for 2 subs, or biamping one sub. And then if I want to get another amp just for the subs, I can use channels 1-4 for the front, and 5&6 for the rear fill.

But the 8x50 would give me more flexibity to stay with one amp, if it's powerful enough.

I am pretty psyched. I enjoy working on my car, and installing audio equipment is new to me, so I'm excited. Plus it should sound damn good when I'm finished. I'm putting in an XM tuner while I'm at it too.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:53 PM   #10
Hota

I'd stick with the 6x75 amp. I guess I don't know what you'd do with 4 channels up front (unless you bridge them into 2 channels) since your front speakers can only take 2 channels.

I'd bridge channels 5&6 and run it to a single 10" sub. Or you can find someone willing to sell a set of kicker 6x9s that drop right in where your HK subs currently are (if you have a coupe).

If you haven't seen William's a/d/s upgrade page, check it out before you begin:

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...1433274&page=1
Old 02-28-2003, 09:17 PM   #11
SpaceMonkey

I've been looking for Kicker 6x9 Free Air's for almost a month now. I found an auction in Singapore, but that's it so far.

I did see William's upgrade page. That and this have been the most helpful, as well as a few other non-a/d/s specific pages.

From the a/d/s upgrade manual, upgrade III suggested using channel's 1&2 for front tweeters, 3&4 for front mids, 5&6 for rear speakers, 2nd amp for subs.

But I definitely think that's overkill for now. I'll stick with the 6x75 and one 10" sub.

Thanks Hota!

Last edited by SpaceMonkey; 02-28-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:16 PM   #12
Hota

SpaceMonkey - let me know how the install of the 346is speakers go. I've been thinking about getting a set myself, but I don't know how much effort the door modification will take.

Thanks...

E46 M3 Ti Silver/Imola
Created 18 June 2002

Old 03-17-2003, 12:12 AM   #13
SpaceMonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Hota
SpaceMonkey - let me know how the install of the 346is speakers go. I've been thinking about getting a set myself, but I don't know how much effort the door modification will take.

Thanks...
I put the speakers in last weekend, and hooked up the amp this weekend. Sounds amazing!

The 346is components fit fine in the stock locations, barely any mods necessary. I was able to put the tweeters in the stock midrange location, just popped right in. I left the stock tweeters in the bracket, but disconnected.

For the woofers, I just pried the stock mounting brackets off the H/K speakers, and put the a/d/s mounting bracket right on top, using some foam as filler. No problems with depth, the doors just popped back on.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow night if people are interested...
Old 03-17-2003, 01:02 AM   #14
Hota

Awesome! I'd love to see some pics.

What do you think of the sound?

E46 M3 Ti Silver/Imola
Created 18 June 2002