E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
For those with a rear end thump.

Got mine fixed today. My shop replaced the differential mount bushing, part # 33-17-6-751-808. Both clutch pedal and gas pedal feel noticeably different now. The whole drivetrain seems to have tightened up. theres still a slight clunk going from 1st to 2nd, or 4th to 5th sometimes, but shifting noise has been reduced by about 90%.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
How much did it cost?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
What thump is this? I have a very distinct sound when my auto shifts from second to first, (or third to second actually) thats rather annoying. The car also raises up when its put into reverse, and is lowered a little when put into drive. Is this sort of the same thump? My 330 doesn't do this, but i just assumed it had something to do with it being newer or a manual and not that there was something wrong.

Last edited by Acarder; 03-18-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
conzbmw

Acarder. I have pretty much the same car and same problem. Is yours an auto? I had my rear mount bushing replaced about 3k ago. Mine was about 50$ for the part and $250 labor (Canadian). That stopped the thumping that I was getting from the rear when I put the auto shifter from P-to-R. It got so bad that something sounded like it was snapping each time. But I still and recently have noticed more often, that sometimes when my auto downshifts when im coming to a stop sign it makes a slight thump from the rear on downshift (I think from 2nd to 1st, but it could be 3rd to 2nd). Its done it a couple more times recently. But doesnt seem to do it once the car id warmed (but not entirely sure on that). Anyone else know what it could be? Differential/fluid?
conzbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinesicks View Post
How much did it cost?
$50 part, $200 labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
What thump is this? I have a very distinct sound when my auto shifts from second to first, (or third to second actually) thats rather annoying. The car also raises up when its put into reverse, and is lowered a little when put into drive. Is this sort of the same thump? My 330 doesn't do this, but i just assumed it had something to do with it being newer or a manual and not that there was something wrong.
mine is a manual, and it would thump sometimes at a standstill, shifting from neutral to 1st. this would also happen occasionally while coasting and shifting from neutral to 2nd.

also, there was an audible clunk when shifting into pretty much every gear while driving.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
$50 part, $200 labor.

mine is a manual, and it would thump sometimes at a standstill, shifting from neutral to 1st. this would also happen occasionally while coasting and shifting from neutral to 2nd.

also, there was an audible clunk when shifting into pretty much every gear while driving.
Sounds like a very worthwhile repair. Is there any risk from leaving it though? My list of things to do to this car keeps building up. control arm there, bushings everywhere, new tires, oil change and the list goes on
Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
Sounds like a very worthwhile repair. Is there any risk from leaving it though? My list of things to do to this car keeps building up. control arm there, bushings everywhere, new tires, oil change and the list goes on
he said it could lead to subframe damage, but i'm not sure how long that would take. i need to do FCABs too lol. i've been putting it off for a good 6 months now.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Acarder

Quote:
he said it could lead to subframe damage, but i'm not sure how long that would take. i need to do FCABs too lol. i've been putting it off for a good 6 months now.
subframe damage? time to do those right away then... ugh.. I have a feeling im not going to be covered if my subframe tears because my 328 is an import so i've gotta keep it in good condition or i'm f*cked
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #9
Jbird2200

My Ride: 1999 328I
hmm, this is interesting. My car is a 328 auto and has done the big "clunk" when put in reverse since i got it a year ago. now my center support bearing is out on my driveshaft, i'm wonderin if the real problem is rear diff bushings? i'm kinda afraid of that. there are 3 rear diff bushings all together though right? they only replace one of yours?
Jbird2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
conzbmw

No I wouldnt think subframe damage. As much as it is a problem on the 328i, I dont think its as big as people make it out to be. They just come to places like this to report it. Ive read that its more common in the coupes that are standard. Im worried about mine seeing as its a 328 but people have had it covered by BMW. Seeing as it should be a recal if its a safety concern.
conzbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #11
socal323

My Ride: 2008 335xi LOADED
[QUOTE=jeffro3000;9611167]$50 part, $200 labor.

That sounds like an awesome deal ! My mechanic wants $500 parts and labor. After checking at 4 different shops that is the cheapest rate I can find so my guy is giving me a "good deal". I don't know what the exchange rate is but 200 sounds like a bargain.

The bushing on mine is starting to go. I'm not getting any noise but something felt a little off, after having my mechanic inspect and drive it the only problem he can find is a few tears in the rear diff. bushing. He said it would be ok to drive for a bit longer but if I go too long then it could possibly damage the sub frame. He also said that it's a good thing I have auto transmission because sub frame damage is more common in early e46 with manual transmission and 328i.

One last thing to note: After doing a bit of research I found out that the bushings they make today are far better than the ones that originally went on the early e46 so even if you get OEM it should be better than the one that was put on the vehicle when it was new.

Does anyone have a DIY on this ? I would like to check it out and see if this is a job I can take on myself.
socal323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Safar

My Ride: comes with blow
Sounds good! I've booked an appointment to have my rear diff bushing replaced in a few weeks, along with welding in the TMS kit. Might make it difficult to isolate any improvement to either the bushing or the reinforcement, but at least it may help to rule out (or in) something like the center driveshaft bearing. Will chime in when I'm done.
1987 Suzuki VS1400
1996 Suzuki LS650 Sold
1984 Kawasaki 305CSR RIP

Went from 305cc > 650cc > 1400cc > 2800cc
No prizes for guessing what my next engine will be...

Safar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #13
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
$50 part, $200 labor.

mine always does that and its very annoying. makes me think i'm not shifting right, especially after my dealer told me that my rear diff. bushing was fine. it makes a loud cluck when i put it in first gear from neutral when i'm standing still, and also when i engage just about every gear.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
rody1285

My Ride: 00' 323i, 05 M3 Vert
Send a message via AIM to rody1285
Hi I recently purchased a Rear Diff TOOL for the rear diff bushing remove/install if anyone wants to rent it please send me a private message. Thanks!
rody1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
2nd3series

My Ride: 323i
Hello Team ... Has anyone located a "cheap" tool to remove/install the rear diff bushing ?
Looking in Bentleys this looks like an easy job, except getting the bushing removed and the new one installed.. Ugh..
2nd3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd3series View Post
Hello Team ... Has anyone located a "cheap" tool to remove/install the rear diff bushing ?
Looking in Bentleys this looks like an easy job, except getting the bushing removed and the new one installed.. Ugh..
That's the whole job!
For most BMW problems start off by reading your codes using a peake research tool. Note, as mentioned by other members, although Autozone checks your codes for free they use a generic OBDII tool that does not have the BMW specific fault codes.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
That's the whole job!
Sure, except for removing and installing the diff lol.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
lol

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #19
eco10530

My Ride: 2002 Silver 330ci
Found this on www.eeuroparts.com

Only $24.90

2002 330ci
Titanium Silver
Mods: LED Tail lights, Khoalty LED Angel Eyes,
Keyhole Delete, DICE Silverline PRO iPhone Integration
eco10530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #20
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Febi yuck......

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote