E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
aa240sx

Send a message via AIM to aa240sx
2000 323I dashlights not working. help!

This is weird. I actually posted on this subject a couple days ago and can't find it here anymore. anyway, just wanted to update everyone who might have seen that post:

Issue- My instrument cluster lights are not working. Not the indicators or warning lights but the lights that illuminate the needles. I thought maybe it was a burned out bulb so I picked up a used instrument cluster for 80 bucks. Welp, the same thing is happening to the used cluster. Everything works on both clusters, but the lights that illuminate it.

Is there anything else I can try to diagnose this issue? i did check the fuses and the key located beneath the fuse box indicates 3 different fuses that affect the cluster. i checked each fuse and they are all fine.

This is definitely vexing!
aa240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
busyguy360f1

My Ride: 2001 330ci: SOLD
ALL of the other interior dash lights work then? Only the cluster lighting is out? Did you check the fuses with a Digital MultiMeter? Has any other work been done on the car lately?
busyguy360f1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
aa240sx

Hi,

I have a multi-meter but am not familiar with how to use it. As far as work or modifications, no. Nothing has been done to it. It's a base model 323I with your typical bmw business CD. doesn't even have steering wheel controls for the radio or cruise control.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 PM   #4
aa240sx

Oh, and all interior lights work. Also, the dimmer switch does work when I turn on the headlights, however, they only illuminate bright/dim the mileage display, radio display, and temp display.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
aa240sx

okay - I've looked into the the dimmer switch to see if that could be the issue. right now, the dimmer switch is dimming the mileage display, radio display, a/c temp display, and hazard light and the actual headlight switch too. however, i just realized that the power window switches aren't lighting up either, nor is the door lock switch in the center console. are these even supposed to light up? I have manual 5 speed, so there's no light on the shift knob. also, i used to have some sort of courtesy light. it was super faint, but it sort of lit up the whole dash area too. that's not working either. any ideas on this one?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
busyguy360f1

To use the DMM, set the range selection to 20V DC (or whatever DC Voltage range that is closest to 12), ground the black lead of the DMM to a metal bolt or bare metal in the car, and poke the red lead of the DMM into both sides of all fuses, one by one with ignition ON, EXCEPT any labeled SRS or Airbag, to ensure 12-14V on both sides of each fuse. There could be a fuse that blew in such a way that it is not obvious by looking at it while plugged in, or there could be a fuse that is blown not labeled as illumination or dash lighting, that is affecting the circuit. Your original gauge cluster likely had some kind of short that knocked a fuse or something else out, preventing power from going through to the proper circuits in the cluster wiring. I would recommend leaving the second cluster installed during the fuse testing/replacing process, since it is unlikely that it has the same problem as the original cluster, if it is indeed the cause.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #7
busyguy360f1

^^I was writing this as you put up your last post. Probably not the cluster at all if there are other lights not working as well...

Fuse somewhere or some control module is my best guess.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
aa240sx

I'll try checking all the fuses but by your statement 'fuse somewhere' there could only be one fuse box right? the one in the glove box is the only fuse box on an e46 correct? also, I should mention that my ambient red lighting doesn't work either (these are the two tiny LED lights that sit within the cabin lights located above the rear view mirror. Yes, this car is so basic, I don't even have map lights. I have had this issue for nearly two years and just ignored it, but now I really would like to be able to see my speedo when I drive at night.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
aa240sx

Now that I have had some time to think about it overnight, I have to believe that the general interior lighting of an E46 sedan must be split up through several lines. As of now the interior lights that are not working are:

what doesn't work
1 - Ambient Red Light (located between two interior dome lights just above the rear view mirror) 2 LED's
2 - Power Window switches (not sure if these actually are backlit?)
3 - Power Lock switch (not sure if this is actually backlit too?)
4 - Instrument Cluster backlight

what does work
1 - dome light
2 - mileage display light, radio light, display for temperature

Again, the dimmer switch seems to work on the mileage, radio and temp displays just fine. I'm going to try the fuse approach again checking every single fuse in the box. If that doesn't solve anything, I will then see if there is any short along some of the wires that lead to the faulty lights. The assumption here is that maybe I have a bad ground on a wire somewhere.

I've never modified this sedan and am the original owner.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
bump, this just happen to me yesterday.

didi you solve your problem yet aa240sx?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:27 AM   #11
2legit2quit

My Ride: 2001 330ci
im having the exact same problem in my 2001 330ci. anybody out there figure this one out?
2legit2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
Wassa2016

My Ride: 328i E46
BUMP

Anyone know how to resolve this matter?
I'm having the same problems now too
Wassa2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 PM   #13
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
I'd like to know also. Here are some things I have tried but did not work. Fuses 43, 7, 34 I think, for the instrument cluster. No go. Disconnect battery momentarily, no go. Removed DICE and then disconnected battery and reconnected, no go.

I was driving when my iPod stopped playing through the radio. Then my wheel buttons stopped controlling the radio. Occasionally dash would dim by itself and then come back. Turns signals do not indicate properly, as there is a delay or nothing, or they stay on long after the actual signals stop. Delay in door displays. No backlight for the dash and no overhead ambient lighting. Overhead console lights do work. Occasional lock issues happen, but they are rare. AC doesn't keep constant speed and doesn't cool. All of this started occurring at the same time.

I did one of the power on tests, where you push the dash button for 15 sec and then turn the car on, but not start the car. It did test 2.0, all lights lit. All gauges slowly went to full and then back. It stopped on 2.0. Not sure if that is the last test or what it means.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
maximus83

My Ride: 320d touring
first let me say: Hi to all you guys since i'm new on this forum (posting anyway).

I have exact same problem; No backlight, dimmer works on the steering and BC.
also I have a humm from my tweeters as soon as I turn the lightknob over, the humming changes in pitch as I turn the dimmer.

The problem arose after installing a parrot bluetooth handsfree kit, but the parrot kit and radio function perfectly, so this could also be a coincidence.

Did anyone figure this out yet?

since I have a EURO-spec car (Holland) do I even have the tamper dot? I've not come across any posts on european forums that talk about the tamper dot, and they are all changing their LCM(/LKM) modules.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #15
maximus83

My Ride: 320d touring
I solved my problem!

don't know exactly which wire, but most probably one wire was making a short against the chassis.
I just pulled out all the components for the parrot bluetooth and radio, connected them while not installed and the backlight came back on!

My guess is that one of the wires got stuck when installing the radio which stripped the jacket a bit and then made a short against the chassis. So I would suggest pulling out as much wiring harnesses as you can before you order a new LCM.
maximus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #16
scor469877

My Ride: 2000 323i & 2001 330
anybody have any luck trying this? any other ideas?
scor469877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
monkeyjuice5150

My Ride: ///M3 droptop
Send a message via AIM to monkeyjuice5150
same here... i had alota electronic gagets on the car.

I started taking everything off and proof, the light came back..

I guess there was a loose wire somewhere touching Ground.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
Evilzed

My Ride: e46 318i executive
I have the exact same problem I've checked with a multimeter all fuses , changed the module and still no instrument lights or backing lights on windows or radio did anyone come up with a fix for this ??

2001 318i e46 auto
Evilzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
boatshoe

My Ride: '03 330xi
It's most likely the k-bus. Jbeurotech has some excellent threads on diagnosing and correcting the problem. The backing lights for the dash will stop working and you could lose steering wheel controls for the radio. Aftermarket radio components have been known to cause k-bus issues (DICE). When disconnected, it should bring the k-bus back up. When one module is "corrupt", it will bring the whole k-bus down and cause these symptoms. Search for jbeurotech's k-bus diagnosis threads.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:54 AM   #20
Evilzed

My Ride: e46 318i executive
Thanks for your reply , I'll have a look when I come off shift in two days , I'll let you know how I go , it's frustrating using a iPhone for dash lights lok , my steering wheel lights and controls all work , ie cruise and stereo ??
Evilzed is offline   Reply With Quote