E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #61
MCMILO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: alabama
Posts: 9
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencers View Post
I'd like to know too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by island330i View Post
Just finished mine last week and only a little oil came out, nothing to worry about.
Yep very little.
MCMILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #62
JosephZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Langhorne PA
Posts: 138
My Ride: 2001 325i
I did this a few weeks back, and now I have to Re-Do this job, as it is still leaking. Something is not sealing itself properly.
After taking my car to JCL Automotive, they inspected my car (did not do full clean, but oil is showing in that popular spot) and I agree with them that it is safe to assume that it is still leaking from the housing gasket. Here is what they taught me.

What I learned (2001 325i Automatic)
- Best to remove the Vanos line completely from both the front and back (I only removed it from the front, made for a PITA to try reinstalling the housing. I wrestled with it so much that this step may be the reason the gasket is not properly sealing)
- Best to remove the PS pump (I Did not do this either, it makes for a battle to take out old gasket and put in the new one)
- Use a little RTV Sealant on the new gasket to keep it in the filter housing when re-installing with new gasket in place. (since I did battle to get the housing back in, they said my gasket may also have slipped out of place, RTV sealant, will prevent that from happening)
- Torque down bolts properly (I did not use a torque wrench, so there is a Small chance this could be the issue as well)

Last edited by JosephZ; 12-01-2010 at 08:34 AM.
JosephZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #63
joez323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 72
My Ride: 323i
Do I need to drain the oil before I do this DIY?
joez323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #64
NoVaDreier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, Va.
Posts: 521
My Ride: 2001 325i
No. According to TIS 11 42 020, you should remove the oil filter cover to let the oil flow out of housing back into pan. I cleaned the interior of the OFH out with an oil extractor and then retightened the cover.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #65
joez323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 72
My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaDreier View Post
No. According to TIS 11 42 020, you should remove the oil filter cover to let the oil flow out of housing back into pan. I cleaned the interior of the OFH out with an oil extractor and then retightened the cover.
Thanks!

What do you use to clean oil? Brake cleaner?
joez323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #66
joez323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 72
My Ride: 323i
"Also remove the oil line at the top near the radiator hose and remove the electrical connector to the oil housing. " Does anyone have pic for "electrical connector to the oil housing"? So basically there are 3 electrical connectors thats need to be removed (MAF, Electrical connector to the oil housing and electrical connection for alternator)?

I check the location of the VANOS oil line, and how exactly can I reach to the back nut? Which step do I need to do first so that I can have access to the back nut?

Thanks.
joez323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #67
NoVaDreier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, Va.
Posts: 521
My Ride: 2001 325i
There are two OFH connections for the pressure switch & the temperature switch in addition to the alternator and battery. There's no need to disconnect the MAF. After you remove the alternator, there is plenty of room to get to the rear VANOS line bolt.

Here is what I used based instructions from the TIS and DIYs from this site:
(1) Remove air intake, fan shroud, fan clutch, drive belts, & underbody plate.
(2) Remove oil filter cover, let oil flow out of housing back into pan, & retighten.
(3) Remove alternator
Switch off ignition
Disconnect (-) battery terminal, cover, & secure.
Remove power steering fluid reservoir bolts & tie out of the way.
Remove 3 power steering pump bolts (OFH & block bottom) (22Nm /16ft-lb.)
Remove plastic air hose connection at rear of alternator.
Unlock & remove plug connection & nut for (+) terminal (B+ 13Nm/10ft-lb.)
Release bolt & remove idler pulley (70Nm /44ft-lb.)
Remove lower mounting bolt & lift out alternator.
Install new voltage regulator (optional).
(4) Remove OFH plugs for pressure switch (lower) & temperature switch (upper).
(5) Disconnect VANOS oil pressure line at banjo bolt (32Nm /24ft-lb.).
(6) Unfasten 6 OFH bolts (22Nm /16ft-lb.) and remove OFH.
(7) Remove OFH internal gasket & check dowel sleeves for damage & positioning.
(8) Clean up engine.
(9) Install new OFH internal gasket & secure OFH to block (22Nm /16ft-lb.)
(10) Reconnect VANOS oil line w/ crush washers at banjo bolt (32Nm /24ft-lb.).
(11) Connect oil pressure switch & oil temperature switch to OFH inputs.
(12) Install alternator & reattach electrical connections
(13) Reconnect vent hose to alternator.
(14) Install drive belts, fan clutch, fan shroud, underbody plate, & air intake.
(15) Reconnect (-) battery terminal (5 1 Nm).
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #68
joez323i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 72
My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaDreier View Post
There are two OFH connections for the pressure switch & the temperature switch in addition to the alternator and battery. There's no need to disconnect the MAF. After you remove the alternator, there is plenty of room to get to the rear VANOS line bolt.

Here is what I used based instructions from the TIS and DIYs from this site:
(1) Remove air intake, fan shroud, fan clutch, drive belts, & underbody plate.
(2) Remove oil filter cover, let oil flow out of housing back into pan, & retighten.
(3) Remove alternator
Switch off ignition
Disconnect (-) battery terminal, cover, & secure.
Remove power steering fluid reservoir bolts & tie out of the way.
Remove 3 power steering pump bolts (OFH & block bottom) (22Nm /16ft-lb.)
Remove plastic air hose connection at rear of alternator.
Unlock & remove plug connection & nut for (+) terminal (B+ 13Nm/10ft-lb.)
Release bolt & remove idler pulley (70Nm /44ft-lb.)
Remove lower mounting bolt & lift out alternator.
Install new voltage regulator (optional).
(4) Remove OFH plugs for pressure switch (lower) & temperature switch (upper).
(5) Disconnect VANOS oil pressure line at banjo bolt (32Nm /24ft-lb.).
(6) Unfasten 6 OFH bolts (22Nm /16ft-lb.) and remove OFH.
(7) Remove OFH internal gasket & check dowel sleeves for damage & positioning.
(8) Clean up engine.
(9) Install new OFH internal gasket & secure OFH to block (22Nm /16ft-lb.)
(10) Reconnect VANOS oil line w/ crush washers at banjo bolt (32Nm /24ft-lb.).
(11) Connect oil pressure switch & oil temperature switch to OFH inputs.
(12) Install alternator & reattach electrical connections
(13) Reconnect vent hose to alternator.
(14) Install drive belts, fan clutch, fan shroud, underbody plate, & air intake.
(15) Reconnect (-) battery terminal (5 1 Nm).
Thank you for that.

Last edited by joez323i; 12-11-2010 at 03:19 PM.
joez323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #69
mp333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: EastCoast
Posts: 315
My Ride: 2003 325XI
Got 82k miles. My Front diff was wet from oil. the whole housing that is. The indy mechanic seems to think it is the OFH gasket. I am loosing little bit of oil.
Any thoughts???
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #70
Nervous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,486
My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Replace it, what kind of thought do you need else? However, oil separator may leak as well.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #71
jclip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Founder of the uber-rare body color roof club
Posts: 854
My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
To those who replaced this, were you losing a significant amount of oil?
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #72
Lbert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 220
My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclip View Post
To those who replaced this, were you losing a significant amount of oil?
No, however do have a rag underneath the housing as you pull of the oil filter housing. 1 - 2 oz may drip onto the rag. Do wait an hour or so after running the engine before pulling off the housing. Also, remove the oil filter cap and remove the oil filter to reduce oil drippings.
Lbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #73
GRIFFIN
NWS
 
GRIFFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,700
My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
I performed this DIY around june. Now I have a new oil leak. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner and degreaser. There is some oil in the waffle part on the side of the engine, and some on the hoses and it is collecting and dripping from the oil pan. Thoughts on places to check.
__________________

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #74
mp333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: EastCoast
Posts: 315
My Ride: 2003 325XI
Gasket moved during install?
Bolts torques to the right spec?
__________________



E46 Rocks
mp333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #75
jclip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Founder of the uber-rare body color roof club
Posts: 854
My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbert View Post
No, however do have a rag underneath the housing as you pull of the oil filter housing. 1 - 2 oz may drip onto the rag. Do wait an hour or so after running the engine before pulling off the housing. Also, remove the oil filter cap and remove the oil filter to reduce oil drippings.

I'm sorry. I meant, were you losing a lot of oil due to the leak from the bad gasket? I suspect mine is bad, but not sure I want to tackle this job in the cold as I don't have access to heated garage.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #76
GRIFFIN
NWS
 
GRIFFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,700
My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp333 View Post
Gasket moved during install?
Bolts torques to the right spec?
Bolts are tighten proper and it is possible it moved. It is not a big leak it took a 6 months to notice. Can I do this DIY without removing the fan? I don;t have the fan tool or a big wrench anymore. I borrowed them from a friend who moved.
__________________

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!

Last edited by GRIFFIN; 12-18-2010 at 12:37 AM.
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #77
Nervous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,486
My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
I doubt you can do it w/o removing fan since you'd need to remove belts and put them back. Buy 32mm wrench in Sears, it is just $26.
As to the reasons of the leak: might be cracked or warped housing as well. Not sure how to check tho.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #78
meeceboy78
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gilbert, Az.
Posts: 372
My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I was just told by a local shop that I needed an entire housing. this looks like i could just get away with a gasket. what do you guys think?
__________________

2003 330i / UUC springs / 18 " ASA AR1 staggared /ZHP exhaust
meeceboy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #79
Nervous
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 1,486
My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
A couple days ago I talked with a mechanic, former BMW mech. We also discussed my current progress on my 330ci where I am replacing OFH gasket. He said that at dealership they always replaced whole housing because the labor is significant (about 3 hours) and if the housing is warped or cracked they would need to do whole job again for FREE! So, they just charge a client for entire housing and install new one. "A cheap insurance" for stealership to avoid customer coming back with complains.
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #80
NoVaDreier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Alexandria, Va.
Posts: 521
My Ride: 2001 325i
I don't think $345 and 3 hours of labor is "cheap insurance" unless you know that the OFH is damaged. I would replace the OFH gasket only. If you follow the DIY's from this site, this job will not take you anywhere near 3 hours unless you decide to replace CCV/oil separator as well. Then you will be committed to a whole day of fun.
NoVaDreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use