E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
CoconutPete

My Ride: E90 330i
Putting up a wall mount with a bolt all the way through?

I know the wall in my bedroom is plaster (old house) so I put a 1" square hole in the wall and used a usb "stick light" to "look around" inside the wall. The studs in this wall are few and far between and even when I find one they are small and they look like they are made out of balsawood. The bottom line is that there is not going to be a good place to thread the bolt that came with the mount into.

So.... what I was thinking about was getting a 6" by 6" piece of 1/4" thick steel w/ a hole in the middle and sticking it on the back of the wall (inside my closet) and using that as an anchor with the bolt running all the way through.

Has anyone had success with mounting anything this way? (does what I wrote make sense?)

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
Extra Credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3"
not "I'm looking for a M3".
-----------
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
So you would open up the wall from the closet side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I would love to hear what Busa would have done
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I'd like to know how Busa would handle this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What are we to do?
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
CoconutPete

Yup, 2 holes straight through the wall. Through the mount on the front, and then on the other side, through a 6" by 6" piece of 1/4" thick steel plate.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.” “They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”
-----------
-----------
Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
My partner has used plywood on steel stud installs, I will ask him for the details.

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum52 View Post
Yup, 2 holes straight through the wall. Through the mount on the front, and then on the other side, through a 6" by 6" piece of 1/4" thick steel plate.
It could work, maybe. Why not open up the wall from the other side and insert some 2x4s, fasten to existing studs or both sides of wall and you're good.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
My partner has used plywood on steel stud installs, I will ask him for the details.
Can't you just go through a steel stud with one of those wall anchors? Through a steel stud they should be more than good, right?

EDIT: Toggle bolts. I just remembered.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?

Last edited by 'busa; 01-03-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
All I can say is take your time, plan it, and enjoy the savings. Did mine above the fire place and trust me I saved a bunch and the confidence to do it again is priceless.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
Can't you just go through a steel stud with one of those wall anchors? Through a steel stud they should be more than good, right?

EDIT: Toggle bolts. I just remembered.
You can, but it is not recommended. On commercial applications involving metal studs you need to use 1/2" plywood inserts. I wouldn't risk mounting the bracket to flimsy metal studs. But I don't think this applies to the OP.

OP can I get a picture of what you are trying to do?

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
You can, but it is not recommended. On commercial applications involving metal studs you need to use 1/2" plywood inserts. I wouldn't risk mounting the bracket to flimsy metal studs. But I don't think this applies to the OP.

Are you talking abour regular screws or toggle bolts?

I have metal studs and I planned on mounting through the drywall and the metal stud with toggle bolts. I don't know what gauge they are, but they are really tough. I can't imagine a scenario where they could fail with toggle bolts.

Sorry to threadjack. It may apply.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
blownE30M3

Quote:
Are you talking abour regular screws or toggle bolts?

I have metal studs and I planned on mounting through the drywall and the metal stud with toggle bolts. I don't know what gauge they are, but they are really tough. I can't imagine a scenario where they could fail with toggle bolts.

Sorry to threadjack. It may apply.
The only place toggles should be used are to substitute for lag bolts when at AT LEAST 1 maybe even two lags are in place.

Basically if your studs are too far apart. You need to get one side (2 lags) into that stud and substitute the other side with toggles. This is aside from reframing the wall of course.

Never ever ever ever hang a bracket with just toggle bolts. EVER.

Mounting directly to metal studs, like I said before is not advised and we would re-frame the wall or have the commercial contractors re-frame for us. But to that matter it also depends on the size of display you are mounting.

What you are suggesting (I think you have a display > 40) I would not advise.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
'busa

I see what you're saying. Why is that, though? Just due to risk of failure of toggle bolt?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
blownE30M3

Quote:
I see what you're saying. Why is that, though? Just due to risk of failure of toggle bolt?
Yep. Structural integrity in two accounts. One the design of a screw on, spring loaded toggle device. Two of drywall. You are basically relying on the integrity of pressure involving a clamp to the drywall sheet to hold the bracket on instead of direct contact of steel to wood.

I would imagine that if you were to go the route of toggles through drywall through metal stud it would probably hold. Personally and professionally I would not risk it, but in your application and your screws, if you think it will hold, it probably will.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
'busa

Quote:
Yep. Structural integrity in two accounts. One the design of a screw on, spring loaded toggle device. Two of drywall. You are basically relying on the integrity of pressure involving a clamp to the drywall sheet to hold the bracket on instead of direct contact of steel to wood.

I would imagine that if you were to go the route of toggles through drywall through metal stud it would probably hold. Personally and professionally I would not risk it, but in your application and your screws, if you think it will hold, it probably will.
That's what I meant. I may have misstated or you misunderstood. I never meant for the drywall to hold the bracket in place. I was planning on drilling a hole in the metal stud for the toggle bolt to pass through.

That's why it was so difficult for me to understand what could possibly be the problem. I planned on using 4 toggle bolts through drywall AND metal stud and probably 2-4 more just through drywall for good measure.

To illustrate:

Upper row:

METAL AND DRYWALL / DRYWALL /DRYWALL / METAL AND DRYWALL

Bottom row:

Am I really taking a chance here?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #14
blownE30M3

Quote:
That's what I meant. I may have misstated or you misunderstood. I never meant for the drywall to hold the bracket in place. I was planning on drilling a hole in the metal stud for the toggle bolt to pass through.

That's why it was so difficult for me to understand what could possibly be the problem. I planned on using 4 toggle bolts through drywall AND metal stud and probably 2-4 more just through drywall for good measure.

To illustrate:

Upper row:

Bottom row:

Am I really taking a chance here?
Nah, you should be ok. Professionally I would never do it. But thats like saying someone should never work on their own car because they don't have the same tools the dealership has.

If it is your only option, go for it.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #15
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
So the wall you are considering is an interior wall ?
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #16
CoconutPete

Quote:

I can take a pic, but tell me if this makes sense.

The other side of the wall is inside my closet. I was going to drill all the way through the wall and use a 10" long screw to go all the way through the wall. On the other side of the wall I was thinking about using plate steel - maybe 1/8" thick and put a hole through it - for lack of a better term it would act as a giant washer, distributing the force over a large area of the inside of the wall.

-----------
-----------
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
How about taking off the sheetrock on the inside of the closet, throw in some 2x4's to shore up the closet wall, maybe put some 1/2 inch plywood between the studs so you have a stable base for the mount and throw some sheetrock back on the wall. You could just throw a couple of coats of paint on the wall and not really owrry about it until you repaint the place. At least you would not have to look at a piece of metal. It would be messy, but it would not really be that tough.
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #18
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum52 View Post
I can take a pic, but tell me if this makes sense.

The other side of the wall is inside my closet. I was going to drill all the way through the wall and use a 10" long screw to go all the way through the wall. On the other side of the wall I was thinking about using plate steel - maybe 1/8" thick and put a hole through it - for lack of a better term it would act as a giant washer, distributing the force over a large area of the inside of the wall.
From the picture you are painting it doesnt sound like it will work. Is the pressure being applied to the wall by the metal plate only on sheetrock and not on any studs? If so, you are relying on the rigidity of the wall itself to hold up the tv. Albeit pressure physically holding the tv up, the wall will only hold up so long.

It is basically doing what I said not to before and mounting a tv with only toggle bolts. Just on a bigger scale.

Either find a stand or frame out the wall.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #19
Bruce Wayne

My Ride: 330Ci
One toggle bolt holds 265 pounds...... so use like 6 toggle bolts and you are good for 265x6= 1590 pounds

http://www.toggler.com/products_hwh.html

I hung my friends plasma in his condo using these exact toggle bolts. these are not your regular hardware store crap. these things take a 1/4 inch threaded bolt!

there is also a video on the website that shows you how to install them, it is basically taking your metal plate idea, and making it into a small cheap and easy to install package!

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-15-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
trippinbillies4

My Ride: '02 Mini, '13 FR-S
First, let me tell the OP that his idea of taking 10" long bolts through both sides of the wall and into a plate on the backside of the wall will probably fail. It will have too much torque on the plaster on the front side. As hard as that stuff seems, believe me when I say that it will crumble on you under pressure like that.

Your SAFEST bet is to defnitely take out the plaster in the closet and put in some 2x10's, then drywall that wall back up. if you can't do that... be careful and good luck?

Hayabusa, your toggles through metal studs will be fine. I hate doing it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If you have a way of getting some 2x10's in between the metal studs, again, I would go that route. But if not, just get some 3"x3/4" toggles, and get at least 4 through metal studs. Maybe a 5th and 6th through the center into the drywall alone. $.50 toggles vs. tv coming off of the wall... pretty easy decision!

'02 Mini Cooper #40HS
trippinbillies4 is offline   Reply With Quote