E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
BMW_Stu

My Ride: HPF 330ci
What's the best sounding sub setup.

I have a regular old sub amp and box in the trunk. It sounds decent, but when I had the same stuff in my camaro, it sounded 3 times better. I've seen some neat setups out there like the ski pass installs and the guy who had 2 12's on the rear deck, but I wanna know what really sounds the best. What do you guys think.
BMW_Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 AM   #2
blksedan

My Ride: HATES thieves
me too
Old 03-15-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
*MY OPINION*

I played around with mine setup for a long time and the best sound/hardest hit, is when I have the subs at the rear most part of the trunk facing forward with my ski port open or back seat down. Now I guess it depends on the type of box and how much air the subs have to play with... but I maybe 15-17 cars behind an officer in traffic and he walked all the back to my car to let me know I was rattling his mirrors. Oops.

2x12" subs with 1000-1400watts (can't remember offhand)
Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
Eroc162

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Send a message via Yahoo to Eroc162
I added a JL12w7, Alpine PDX1000 to my stock system and sound great to me. If I had a pass through armrest which Im looking for It would really sound good. I sold my 2 Alpine R Types which where really loud to get the 12w7. It sound cleaner and almost as loud.
Eroc162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
pastE36prsntE46

My Ride: HPF STG 3; 95 FI M3
For clear concise bass you need to get it in the cabin. Either the rear deck or skipass will work best, or just folding your seats down for a quick fix.
pastE36prsntE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
BMW_Stu

It just dosnt seem like the rear deck mounted and the ski pas mounted subs could sound good. Whats really sealing the air up? A poorlu sealed box can make a good sub sound like trash.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:48 AM   #7
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
to make a sub sound "better" im assuming you need it louder?

not the case with me. but kick out your skipass and take out your rear speaks. helps a lot.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i have my 2x12's RF boxed in the trunk, so far so good, im happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my ride 2.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	306557  
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
BMW_Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
to make a sub sound "better" im assuming you need it louder?

not the case with me. but kick out your skipass and take out your rear speaks. helps a lot.
no, i can turn up my amp and make it louder, and no way im takin out the rear speakers. i like my car to sound good.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
pastE36prsntE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
no, i can turn up my amp and make it louder, and no way im takin out the rear speakers. i like my car to sound good.
Rear speakers make it louder but make it sound worse in the SQ department. Rear fill is not a part of true SQ systems. As for your sealing question.....if you go skipass or rear deck I would suggest Infinite Baffle which would require you sealing the trunk with dynamat like products (go second skin, is cheaper and just about as good as dynamat extreme) to make a giant box basically.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:34 AM   #11
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
exactly^

with subs in the trunk the rear speakers are pointless.. just extra space that make the SQ worse.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 AM   #12
CWABimmer

My Ride: '01 AW on Black 325i
Nice discussion and helpful info guys!

ChrisTKHarris's Official Apprentice

19" HM2s | H&R Cupkit & Sways | BMP RSMs | AFE Intake | UUC TSE3 | RE Underdrive Pulleys | Schroth QFPs | 20% Tint | OEM Clears | Tinted Tails | Umnitza 50w P46s w/ Orion V2s | Silvannia Mirrored Bulbs | Jlevi LED Reverse, Sidemarker, & License Plate Lights | Bimmian Blacked Out Roundels, Black Handbrake Handle, ACS-Style Pedals, & Xenon Interior Lights | Custom Boots
CWABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 AM   #13
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet
exactly^

with subs in the trunk the rear speakers are pointless.. just extra space that make the SQ worse.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #14
BMW_Stu

When i did my full sound upgrade, the rear speakers weee the very last thing i changed. It made a helluva big differance. My rear speakers r stayi. Right where they are, unless i could relocate them, but im tot up for that type of fab work.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #15
Eroc162

I took rears Off and the bass was knockin but I lost some vocals so I put one back and bass wasnt that good so I put them both back. Now im trying to get a non fold down rear seat with armrest but having no luck. So im thinking of making a port hole in my rear seat into the trunk. I really dont want to do that but if I cant find the rear seat im going in. Lol.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #16
CWABimmer

My Ride: '01 AW on Black 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroc162 View Post
I took rears Off and the bass was knockin but I lost some vocals so I put one back and bass wasnt that good so I put them both back. Now im trying to get a non fold down rear seat with armrest but having no luck. So im thinking of making a port hole in my rear seat into the trunk. I really dont want to do that but if I cant find the rear seat im going in. Lol.
Let us know how that works out. I was thinking of doing this but I don't want to screw up my rear seat in the process. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard for a pro to just splice and stitch and kick the skipass plate through... but I don't know if I could (or would) do it myself...

ChrisTKHarris's Official Apprentice

19" HM2s | H&R Cupkit & Sways | BMP RSMs | AFE Intake | UUC TSE3 | RE Underdrive Pulleys | Schroth QFPs | 20% Tint | OEM Clears | Tinted Tails | Umnitza 50w P46s w/ Orion V2s | Silvannia Mirrored Bulbs | Jlevi LED Reverse, Sidemarker, & License Plate Lights | Bimmian Blacked Out Roundels, Black Handbrake Handle, ACS-Style Pedals, & Xenon Interior Lights | Custom Boots
CWABimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #17
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Best sounding setup...subs facing the rear just like in 99% of all cars with a trunk.

Ski pass and rear deck mounted subs don't take advantage of the corner loading effect. You also mask any mechanical noise from the sub which is helpful with some subs.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
pastE36prsntE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrothunderr86 View Post
When i did my full sound upgrade, the rear speakers weee the very last thing i changed. It made a helluva big differance. My rear speakers r stayi. Right where they are, unless i could relocate them, but im tot up for that type of fab work.
If this is the case on the vocals, then you dont have a very good sound stage up front, because if you did then the rears wouldnt make much of a difference. To make your system a "good sq" system I would suggest putting in better front speakers.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
BMW_Stu

im talking about the whole picture, thats like saying if i have good enough front tires, it wouldnt matter it the ones in the rear were totally bald. i have the same speakers all the way around and they each do their part. all together, it sounds good, im just tryin to figure out how to get my sub to sound as good as i know it can. i can get pretty nice sound by folding a seat down, but i dont wanna keep riding around like that, my OCD wont let me. i am really interested in a ski pass setup, i would do one in 2 seconds if i thought it would sound decent, i know that subs operate differently from other speakers though, you cand just hang it somewhere and expect it to thump.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #20
Eroc162

I made a hole in my rear seat check it out. What do you think. I will tell you how it sounds tommorow. I think Im going to make another hole on top of the one I made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front shot.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	306970   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear shot.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	306971