E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #1
aosipian

My Ride: 328I, E46
Factory Set up - confused - SVEN 4

HI, I am trying to replace the OEM amp ( E46, 328 with NAVI) to a decent aftermarket one. Iíve learnt that I need line out convertors and planning to use SVEN 4. Do I need to buy 2 of them, if I I want to power 2 fronts and 2 rears? Or one SVEN 4 will be enough?

Also, my local audio guy told me that I have quite complicated system and the converter may not do the job. He said that my set up is - EOM player gives a signal to a preamp, which then spreads it into lows, mids and highs and then the amplifier do the rest to power the speakers. He said I have 3 units installed. See the picture ( ignore the navi and phone on top of the ampl). Any idea if he is telling the right things? I have some doubts, as in my country, nobody will bother to go that far as I did. They will simply replace the OEM BMW player and put aftermarket units.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00363_small.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	307300  
aosipian is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Sven 2 will do 2 speakers. Get an sven4.

Although I have only seen US systems, I seriously doubth your installer is giving you good information. One easy way to find out: disconnect the plugs in the amp only. If what he is saying is true, then you would still hear the "other" speakers playing.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 AM   #3
aosipian

Thanks, will give a try.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
FuturE46

My Ride: e46
If you amp is just like mine in the us then your installer is a dope and got his training at walmart. The factory head sends a balanced preamp signal to the amp in the trunk. the only catch is that the amp has an output for each speaker seperatly. So in other words there is a channel for each speaker.So 6 channels up front and 4 in the rear. Each channel is Crossed over (Filtered) when sent to each speaker. Which poses another problem. You cant just slap in a 4 or 6 channel amp to power your speakers without building a passive crossover network (Not hard but not a DYI for the average joe). SOOO.... The best way to accomplish the task is to replace all of your speakers at once and to get a 4-6 channel amp. Woo that was alot. And yes the sven4 will allow you to add an amplifier(s) (I did). I am considering doing the above because the sub easily overpowers the components at high volume.
FuturE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
aosipian

Great thanks, will go for a JL Audio 6450 apm. It has the differn balanced inputs.