E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 255 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #221
cyberkaa

Location: Sunnyvale, CA <-- Ithaca, NY <-- dirty jerz (201) Useful Posts: 25
My Ride: E46 332i,M3;E30 325i
Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckhunt View Post
Il be another one to say amazing work.

I have a 2002 330d (yes UK here!)

I have the GM Auto box: A5S 390R,

Could someone please tell me what the compatible manual boxes are? Or could I use any manual bmw box?

Looking for something that stands up to alot of torque!

Many thanks.
Yours probably came with the GS5-39DZ. That's a ZF gearbox. Can confirm if you give us the last 7 of your VIN or production month/year.

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post
i'd rather be gapless with no bulge
cyberkaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #222
duckhunt

My Ride: 2002 330D Sport Auto
I wish it was ZF, real oem says GM

AW36367 -last 7
duckhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #223
cyberkaa

Send a message via ICQ to cyberkaa Send a message via AIM to cyberkaa Send a message via MSN to cyberkaa Send a message via Yahoo to cyberkaa
Quote:
I wish it was ZF, real oem says GM

AW36367 -last 7
Sorry, I meant to say that the manual version of yours came with that ZF box. The automatic was the GM A5S 390R as you said.

Confirmed - http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...48&hg=23&fg=05

M3 drive train conversion (S54 Swap, LSD, 6MT, suspension linkage) | UUC Stg 2 Organic Clutch | OEM M-Tech II Kit
KW V2 | BBS GT4 RE | Falken FK452 | Alcon 6-pot 365mm BBK | M3 steering wheel | Powerflex bushings

Quote:
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #224
duckhunt

no worries, ta.

So that would be the simplest option? But what other uprated boxes would fit?
Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #225
cyberkaa

Quote:
no worries, ta.

So that would be the simplest option? But what other uprated boxes would fit?
Yeah, it'd be easiest to source a gearbox, drive shaft, etc. from a wrecked 330d.

The transmission to engine bolt pattern looks similar to petrol cars, but I haven't worked on diesels, so can't say for sure. Assuming you find out that they do, another option is an S6S 420G from an E39 540 or E46 M3. The clutch disc used in the 540 is the same as the manual version of your car, so it's a good candidate for a match. Before considering a gearbox out of a petrol car, though, consider the torque rating and the gearing. Diesel gearboxes can typically handle a lot more torque than petrol ones and they're geared to the diesel power band.

Quote:
Old 12-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #226
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberkaa View Post
Yeah, it'd be easiest to source a gearbox, drive shaft, etc. from a wrecked 330d.

The transmission to engine bolt pattern looks similar to petrol cars, but I haven't worked on diesels, so can't say for sure. Assuming you find out that they do, another option is an S6S 420G from an E39 540 or E46 M3. The clutch disc used in the 540 is the same as the manual version of your car, so it's a good candidate for a match. Before considering a gearbox out of a petrol car, though, consider the torque rating and the gearing. Diesel gearboxes can typically handle a lot more torque than petrol ones and they're geared to the diesel power band.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:54 AM   #227
duckhunt

Cheers cyberkaa.

Am I correct in saying that its the covering plate:

(from 330d M57) part no.9

that the transmission bolts onto?

If so this looks pretty identical to the one from an S54 e46 m3 like you say:
Apart from parts 10 & 11 above? but these are auto only.

Alot of people would say go buy a new car, but I love working on mine and would be looking to do something like this in the new year. Just got alot of reading to do, but im sure its fairly possible.

I can only find wikipedia reference at the moment, but it says this 420G is rated upto 499nm, vs 390nm at the moment thats pretty good?

Last edited by duckhunt; 12-23-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #228
duckhunt

Or the GS6-53DZ, from 2004 they changed to a ZF 6 speed on the 330d's

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...x_gs6_53bz_dz/
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #229
cyberkaa

The covering plate is what the transmission bolts through and that's one piece I use to determine compatibility, too. Yes, looks like you have a match.
I'd just verify the pilot bearing ID/OD as a final step. I suspect it's also the same part.

Your M57 puts out about 410nm of torque so you're covered with the 420G if that torque spec is accurate.

That GS6-53DZ is also used in the recent M5s and M6s. That looks like a nice option.

Quote:
Old 12-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #230
duckhunt

cheers for answering cyberkaa, could you clarify your ID/OD abbreviations please? Could find anything on Parts list named 'Pilot bearing'

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #231
cyberkaa

Quote:
cheers for answering cyberkaa, could you clarify your ID/OD abbreviations please? Could find anything on Parts list named 'Pilot bearing'

Thanks.
ID=inner diameter, OD=outer diameter. Those are the two most important dimensions of the pilot bearing. The OD depends on the engine and the ID depends on the tip of the transmission input shaft.
Here's one from an M3 (labeled "grooved ball bearing"):
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=20&hl=6

Quote:
Old 12-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #232
duckhunt

hmm, ok.

My car:
http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E4...browse/engine/

better gearbox car:

They are different, but the ID is the same right? 15? Bit confused though as on the automatic it doesnt even have one!?
Old 12-26-2010, 04:54 AM   #233
cyberkaa

Quote:
hmm, ok.

My car:

better gearbox car:

They are different, but the ID is the same right? 15? Bit confused though as on the automatic it doesnt even have one!?
That's right, so the transmission input shaft should fit the same - that's what you want. You'll use the one that matches your engine.

The pilot bearing centers the input shaft of the manual gearbox. Automatics don't need one.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #234
cyberkaa

Just wanted to say thanks, Neil!
The coding instructions were spot on. I only deviated a bit because I used NCS Expert to write the new ZCS information and turn various Automatik flags off in KOMBI, EWS, and LSZ.
The DME reprogramming with Progman went without a hitch and took care of the EGS CAN bus fault code so no more SES light.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #235
neil1138

<3
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #236
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
The coding instructions were spot on. I only deviated a bit because I used NCS Expert to write the new ZCS information and turn various Automatik flags off in KOMBI, EWS, and LSZ.
Any DIY or screenshots with NCS Expert? I cheated and went the route of DIS v43 (last version of DIS w/ coding abilities). Answering a few questions and it did the programming by itself.

EDIT CORRECTION: DIS v43 was used. It is also believed that this is the last version w/ coding abilities. I have not seen any documentation out there stating otherwise. Does anyone have DIS v44 to confirm?

Last edited by genuity; 01-02-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: see edit correction for accuracy
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #237
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Any DIY or screenshots with NCS Expert? I cheated and went the route of DIS v44 (last version of DIS w/ coding abilities). Answering a few questions and it did the programming by itself.
It deserves its own thread (with screenshots) so I'll write one up later. DIS would have been a much more straightforward route, but I wanted to learn NCS Expert, so two birds with one stone.
The GT1 I borrowed for the DME programming today had the newest Progman software, but still let me get into DIS v43 when I selected E34 as the chassis. I'm pretty sure I could have recoded ZCS with it.

Quote:

Last edited by cyberkaa; 12-31-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #238
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Any DIY or screenshots with NCS Expert? I cheated and went the route of DIS v43 (last version of DIS w/ coding abilities). Answering a few questions and it did the programming by itself.

EDIT CORRECTION: DIS v43 was used. It is also believed that this is the last version w/ coding abilities. I have not seen any documentation out there stating otherwise. Does anyone have DIS v44 to confirm?
I have DIS v44 installed and it shows the option to code, but I haven't tested it. When I applied a DIS v57 upgrade over v44, it removed the coding button.

Quote:
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #239
neil1138

Quote:
The GT1 I borrowed for the DME programming today had the newest Progman software, but still let me get into DIS v43 when I selected E34 as the chassis. I'm pretty sure I could have recoded ZCS with it.
This is how I did my coding so I can confirm it works
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #240
cyberkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
This is how I did my coding so I can confirm it works

Quote:

Tags
conversion, evo3, manual, swap, uuc