E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
mike86325

My Ride: ///M3
Drove a 135i today... wow

So after selling my car to a stripper, I went to East Bay BMW to see if they had any e46 M3's to take for a spin.. Well they didn't, so just for the sake of fun I drove this instead....

So, as a little bit of background. I'm 21 and showed up looking less than affluent. After having many dealers completely ignore me I found one that came to help me. I told him that I was looking for an e46 M, which he quickly responded with "what does e46 mean? we don't sell that" After explaining this to him, he quickly wrapped things up and left. I then walked up to another guy and asked if I could test drive a 135i. He paused, then went to grab someone else to help me...

Out walks an older man (maybe 50s) in a full suit, he introduces himself and he walks me over to the fully loaded sport pkg blue 135i. Excited I get in and drive off the lot, slowly starting to give it more gas with each pull while revving higher and higher. He didn't flinch. In fact, he started to encourage me to give it more gas. So i take off from each light like I stole it (getting sideways in the rain) and then he says "well if you want to do a high speed run follow my directions". So he leads me to this long street with nothing on it. As I'm taking the corner to get on the street (im doing 45) he tells me "hey, this car can do at least 65 around this, what are you doing?" So I push it up to 70mph and the car doesnt flinch or slide AT ALL. So I get on this road, hit over 110, get towards the end and he turns and says at the dead end "turn the car around like you should turn it" So I drop down to second and yank it around AND IT HANDLES BEAUTIFULLY.

Then he makes me stop, he points out a sign that is not too far down the road and says "lets see if you can hit 100 before that sign". Floored this car screamed all the way to 100 (way before the sign, lol) and beyond. After a little more freeway and in-town driving I bring it back (probably a good 30min drive) and he gives me a brochure and his number, in case I want to come back and buy it. BEST BMW SALESPERSON EVER!!! the car says enough, you just have to let people drive it.

Here's a quick review of the car, mostly compared to my old car (2000 323i):

Handling: Incredible.. so flat around everything, never felt any body roll. Even with the rain I felt very confident on every corner and at much higher speeds than I would dare in the 323i. Just absolutely planted.

Braking: Great, car always felt poised and steady under hard braking. Similar sensitivity as the 323i, but the stopping power is way better.

Power: NEVER a lack of power at any RPM. Lots of torque even with the steptronic tranny. Very very fast, 100 comes in an instant and without hesitation. Shifts are extremely faster than a 323i in Step mode (honestly I dont think I can shift that fast in a 6MT, but Im not great with a clutch). But with all the power, it still doesn't feel scary or raw, just poised and calm. Like, i figured this would be a huge difference from driving an e46 323i but it feels very similar except for the speedo and the outside world flying by much faster. I think this might be due to the tranny making the shifts insanely smooth.. shifting from 7k to the next gear feels just like shifting from 3k to the next gear. It's just so composed.

So, that was my day

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE:
2 Michelin PS2 275/30/19: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665386
Pre-face Sedan Tails, Corners, Side markers: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=708875
mike86325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
That makes me want to call up some contacts @ BMW and go test drive that baby lol. Did you try cars.com or auto trader for the e46?
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 AM   #3
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
so you have to be 21 in order to test drive a car?
that salesman is the best ive ever heard of

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
The sad thing is, you know you aren't the first person to have beaten *cough* I mean test driven that car. So much for any "break in" period.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Turk View Post
so you have to be 21 in order to test drive a car?
that salesman is the best ive ever heard of
You just have to have a license
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
jessief29812

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330xi
I want to go to the dealership and try out one of those new M3s lol
Old 03-22-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
henryyxyu

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to henryyxyu
same as BMW Matt said, all you need is a license. Though, i still think that a dealer would be hesitant to let a 16 year old drive a "nicer" car, say a vette or a lambo. thats just pushing it:/. Im sure a civic is a-ok though xD.
henryyxyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
The dealers around my area are usually either 18 or 21 due to insurance reasons.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #9
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
135i is Sick. I just wish it didn't looks soo UGLY. Its just kinda bulbous and awkward....needs to be lower and mostly LIGHTER. The best part about it is the engine, which is best had in an E92 335i. Still....awesome write up man. Sounds like you had a blast

Sold but missed: 323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR

Current: Eurospec imported 2003 330XI 6MT
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #10
Dan99

My Ride: 2001 330xi
awesome salesman.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
mike86325

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
That makes me want to call up some contacts @ BMW and go test drive that baby lol. Did you try cars.com or auto trader for the e46?
yeah, basically every car site out there, craig's list, this site.. I posted a WTB in the car section and have got 0 responses. It's rough, theres only 1 or 2 cars out on the market right now that I would even consider. I'm starting to learn that there are a lot of crappy M's out there and only a handful that have really been maintained and pampered by a respectable owner.

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE:
Pre-face Sedan Tails, Corners, Side markers: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=708875
Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
mike86325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan99 View Post
awesome salesman.
Definitely, I've heard some good stories but I did not expect that at all. I thanked him for allowing me to do a spirited test drive and he replied "well, if I made you drive it down the street at 30mph and then turn around and come back, you wouldn't know the difference between a 135i and a Honda accord. I really doubt you came to buy a more expensive Honda accord with a BMW badge on it"

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE:
Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
The sad thing is, you know you aren't the first person to have beaten *cough* I mean test driven that car. So much for any "break in" period.
You do know they beat the **** out of the cars during post-assembly testing before sending them off for shipping from the plant, right?

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
You just have to have a license
oh thanks.. iwas wondering if they would let me test drive an m6 if i pull into the dealer with my car..

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
///MIAM3
Banned

My Ride: 2003.5 E46 M3
When I was looking to buy my M3, I went to 2 bmws and one would not even let me test drive the car. The guy said, we don't let people drive our M series cars unless you are approved. I went to another and the salesman let me rag on the car all on the highway. He even called me again to go for another test drive. Soon as I got my M3, I went to the dealership that had the salesman that didn't want to let me test drive the M. He had that pissed off look on his face. It was priceless.
///MIAM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
slog7

My Ride: 135i
slog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 PM   #17
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
You do know they beat the **** out of the cars during post-assembly testing before sending them off for shipping from the plant, right?
When I took delivery of my car it had all of 7.1 miles on it, not sure how much pain they could have inflicted on it in that short distance. Unless it was driven at redline for all seven of those miles I really wouldn't be too concerned. Regardless, I've had the car since March of '02 and nothing has gone wrong with it that could have been the result of an early beating. Even if that kind of thing does happen, I don't think it really matters that much.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #18
Shewillbemine

My Ride: 2004 IR M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
I'm not saying you're wrong. Can you provide proof or corroboration for this statement?
Shewillbemine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #19
kred

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86325 View Post
So after selling my car to a stripper, I went to East Bay BMW to see if they had any e46 M3's to take for a spin.. Well they didn't, so just for the sake of fun I drove this instead....

So, as a little bit of background. I'm 21 and showed up looking less than affluent. After having many dealers completely ignore me I found one that came to help me. I told him that I was looking for an e46 M, which he quickly responded with "what does e46 mean? we don't sell that" After explaining this to him, he quickly wrapped things up and left. I then walked up to another guy and asked if I could test drive a 135i. He paused, then went to grab someone else to help me...

Out walks an older man (maybe 50s) in a full suit, he introduces himself and he walks me over to the fully loaded sport pkg blue 135i. Excited I get in and drive off the lot, slowly starting to give it more gas with each pull while revving higher and higher. He didn't flinch. In fact, he started to encourage me to give it more gas. So i take off from each light like I stole it (getting sideways in the rain) and then he says "well if you want to do a high speed run follow my directions". So he leads me to this long street with nothing on it. As I'm taking the corner to get on the street (im doing 45) he tells me "hey, this car can do at least 65 around this, what are you doing?" So I push it up to 70mph and the car doesnt flinch or slide AT ALL. So I get on this road, hit over 110, get towards the end and he turns and says at the dead end "turn the car around like you should turn it" So I drop down to second and yank it around AND IT HANDLES BEAUTIFULLY.

Then he makes me stop, he points out a sign that is not too far down the road and says "lets see if you can hit 100 before that sign". Floored this car screamed all the way to 100 (way before the sign, lol) and beyond. After a little more freeway and in-town driving I bring it back (probably a good 30min drive) and he gives me a brochure and his number, in case I want to come back and buy it. BEST BMW SALESPERSON EVER!!! the car says enough, you just have to let people drive it.

Here's a quick review of the car, mostly compared to my old car (2000 323i):

Handling: Incredible.. so flat around everything, never felt any body roll. Even with the rain I felt very confident on every corner and at much higher speeds than I would dare in the 323i. Just absolutely planted.

Braking: Great, car always felt poised and steady under hard braking. Similar sensitivity as the 323i, but the stopping power is way better.

Power: NEVER a lack of power at any RPM. Lots of torque even with the steptronic tranny. Very very fast, 100 comes in an instant and without hesitation. Shifts are extremely faster than a 323i in Step mode (honestly I dont think I can shift that fast in a 6MT, but Im not great with a clutch). But with all the power, it still doesn't feel scary or raw, just poised and calm. Like, i figured this would be a huge difference from driving an e46 323i but it feels very similar except for the speedo and the outside world flying by much faster. I think this might be due to the tranny making the shifts insanely smooth.. shifting from 7k to the next gear feels just like shifting from 3k to the next gear. It's just so composed.

So, that was my day
dude i know exactly where u went!!! in dublin heading towards livermore alongside the freeway and u come to the end of the road where the golf range is at!?!?
kred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #20
mike86325

Quote:
Originally Posted by kred View Post
dude i know exactly where u went!!! in dublin heading towards livermore alongside the freeway and u come to the end of the road where the golf range is at!?!?
bingo! haha.. always looked at the road on my way to school (when I used to go to Las Positas in Livermore) and would think to myself that it would be a good road to do a quick speed run, it was like the dealer read my mind, lol.

where do you live in the bay area?

2003.5 Tiag SMG ///M3
FOR SALE: