E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Toominator

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
Dice Installed - First Thoughts

Just installed the Dice Silverline w. spec.dock this weekend. Here are my first thoughts:
  • Install was extremely easy. Took less than an hour.
  • Hardest part was getting my fingers under the center console to fish the spec.dock cable
  • Not sure about the spec.dock. Looks great but not sure how secure the iphone is when docked. I'll see how it goes.
  • Everything worked right outta the chute. Texting and all fuctionality worked immediately. No issues at all
  • Don't know why but the sound is crisp and clean. Better than the radio or CD player. Almost makes the HK sound good. Not sure if this makes sense.
  • I do get something unusual. Everytime I plug it in a message appears on the iphone: "Accessory not Compatible, would you like to enter airplane mode..." Not sure why I get this - whether I answer 'yes' or 'no' the dice plays fine. But I have to answer everytime. Possibly a firmware issue?
  • need to get used to the functionality. I like being able to access all my playlists, but don't like that I can't seem to be able to navigate within a playlist or album. Hitting track up or track down skips you to the next playlist not the next song?

Anyway, looks great, plays great, and was super easy to install. If you have an ipod don't wait to install the Dice.
Toominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
BmwAudio32

My Ride: 2004 Imola 330i ZHP
I believe airplane mode disables all cell functionality. Basically turns the iphone into a straight PDA with no cell features. The reason that message pops up is because not an official apple approved accessory. No real way around it that i know of. Once you selected a playlist with the CD2 settings, then you can hit CD1 to return to track selection mode within that playlist.
BmwAudio32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
Dimseduten

My Ride: 2002 BMW E46 325ci
Hey! im thinking about buying the silverline as well.. just bought and mounted a DVD drive with multimedia interface - but - couldnt control it with the original 16:9 screen/buttons, sigh.. so pulled it out and now returning to dealer. Next step, buing the Silverline+Ipod - i think.. before I do it:
Do anyone have some screenshots they can post here to show how the Dice intergrates in a 16:9 screen? How do u control the Ipod, are there lots of menus and functions available on the screen etc?? Wanna see pics of it working before i buy this time, hehe :-)

Thanx in advance! :-)
Dimseduten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwAudio32 View Post
I believe airplane mode disables all cell functionality. Basically turns the iphone into a straight PDA with no cell features. The reason that message pops up is because not an official apple approved accessory. No real way around it that i know of. Once you selected a playlist with the CD2 settings, then you can hit CD1 to return to track selection mode within that playlist.
That's pretty much it - Airplane Mode is a button-press away from turning your iPhone into a iPod touch. Simply press "no" or wait for +7 seconds for the message to go away on its own.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimseduten View Post
Hey! im thinking about buying the silverline as well.. just bought and mounted a DVD drive with multimedia interface - but - couldnt control it with the original 16:9 screen/buttons, sigh.. so pulled it out and now returning to dealer. Next step, buing the Silverline+Ipod - i think.. before I do it:
Do anyone have some screenshots they can post here to show how the Dice intergrates in a 16:9 screen? How do u control the Ipod, are there lots of menus and functions available on the screen etc?? Wanna see pics of it working before i buy this time, hehe :-)

Thanx in advance! :-)
Sure, we have screenshots of the kit in action on a SatNav system:

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for 3 Series/M3 99-06 (Trunk Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1621

Let me know if you should have any questions prior to ordering.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
danny330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
can i get a DIY on how to installing it?
danny330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny330i View Post
We have tutorials at the following link:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
how did you get the dice cable into the cabin from the trunk?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ports View Post
how did you get the dice cable into the cabin from the trunk?
The link in my previous post has a couple different examples.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Halston@BSW
Sponsor

My Ride: E30 X5 TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny330i View Post
We have a video guide available here:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/pr...d-Kit-by-DICE/

Scroll down to the vidoe tab

BSW | Audio Solutions for YOUR BMW
www.bavsound.com | 404-963-8857

iPod Integration | Plug & Play Speakers | Subwoofer Solutions | Satellite Radio | HD Radio | Bluetooth
Halston@BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Toominator

My Ride: 2002 330 xi
I have the fold down seats so there was nothing to it.
Toominator is offline   Reply With Quote