E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
Personally, I've never understood the point of putting the top down and then installing a device to defeat the experience. A screen came with my car but I've never put it in. Aftermarket stereo >> wind noise.

One word for the ladies: Scrunchy. You probably have one on you anyway.
Mine came with my car and I was the SAME way!
Almost 2 years after I had it, I was going to sell the thing and decided to take some pics of it to post for sale. Then, since it was installed, I thought I'd try it out. It was a big surprise what it did! So i kept it.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #22
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46vert View Post
when it is very windy and im rolling with my windscreen and all 4 windows down, the screen sometime snap and fall back. Anybody ever experience this? Is this normal with the windscreen? any solution?
That happens on rare occasion with crosswinds.

The windscreen is a must have option for me!

You can always flip it down if you want some more airflow............
Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
sparkles

My Ride: '02 330CIC ZSP/PP/CW
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46vert
when it is very windy and im rolling with my windscreen and all 4 windows down, the screen sometime snap and fall back. Anybody ever experience this? Is this normal with the windscreen? any solution?
This happened to me for the first time last week when the wind was howlin' and I pretty much drive with the top down Feb-Oct. The wind screen rocks, esp at fwy speeds. I prefer the look to ever driving with the top down/windows up, which I never do, but it's real easy to drop the windscreen top half for a clean look if you want it. Check Craigslist for one -- I got my hardtop and windscreen there. And no, it's not just about the hair...it's also about wind noise on long trips, tunes, phone, and chilly days.

Plus, ooops no, I can't take your sticky kids for a ride in my nice convertible...sorry they won't fit. :-)
sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
///M3Turk

My Ride: M6 ,X5, R6, M5, M3
Send a message via AIM to ///M3Turk Send a message via MSN to ///M3Turk
its really good in windy days..easy install..

Firat
///M3Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #25
PTinVT

My Ride: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic
After someone just PM'd to ask me if was willing to sell my windscreen (I'm not) it reminded me I had the thing so I popped it in and used it for the first time today.

With the top down, windows up and the windscreen in, there is practically no airflow inside the car. (I didn't go much more than 70 MPH).

With the windows and top down and the windscreen in (again not going much more than 70MPH) there is SOME airflow inside the car, but next to nothing compared to the typical convertible experience.

As noted, it is remarkable what this baffling device will do to defeat turbulence/airflow with the top down. I can see why it might be desirable for long trips at sustained highway speed. Perhaps it is more desirable at speeds of 90-100MPH+ but I have nowhere to legally drive these speeds and simply don't go there.

But for around town, commuting, short jaunts... it totally defeated the convertible experience for me and I'll be keeping mine in my basement until it's time to sell the car.

The windscreen is great if you're worried about messing up your hair or if you can't live without your phone while behind the wheel. Neither of those apply to me.

The only practical application for me would be to use it like a "tonneau" cover, putting stuff on the back seat, and folding the upright piece down (which you can while it's in place) and using the screen to protect the rear seat contents and keep them from flying away with the top down, making it an extension of the trunk.

happy motoring,
-PT

07 SG (Space Gray) 328xi coupe, 6-speed, premium/sport/cold/leather - daily/winter driver
02 AW 325Cic 5-speed, premium/leather, removable hardtop - summer cruiser: 18" CSL reps, JL amp/sub/door components, Reinhold remote top control
71 Buick Riviera - Land Yacht
PTinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #26
dengit

My Ride: '01 325ci Convert
Send a message via MSN to dengit Send a message via Yahoo to dengit
I got a brand new one on Amazon for $481 + free shipping. It's a must have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000PUDNEU

Last edited by dengit; 10-28-2009 at 12:21 PM.
dengit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #27
PTinVT

My Ride: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengit View Post
I got a brand new one on Amazon for $481 + free shipping. It's a must have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000PUDNEU
Brand = "Genuine BMW Factory Original Equipment OEM"

$596.19 on realoem - is that the Tischer price or the list price?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...88&hg=54&fg=95

07 SG (Space Gray) 328xi coupe, 6-speed, premium/sport/cold/leather - daily/winter driver
02 AW 325Cic 5-speed, premium/leather, removable hardtop - summer cruiser: 18" CSL reps, JL amp/sub/door components, Reinhold remote top control
71 Buick Riviera - Land Yacht
PTinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #28
rebmo

My Ride: 2006 BMW 330Cic
I found one on Craigslist without the case for $90 and found just the case on Ebay for another $20. I use it sometimes on long highway runs and up to 80mph and haven't had it drop yet. Most of the time I don't bother with it but it is nice for longer trips. I haven't tried it with the bluetooth phone connection yet, but I suspect it would be better than just top down which is not good with B/T.

Reb
rebmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Bookedup

My Ride: 06 M3 Imola Red
Windscreen install on E46

Hello all,
Just received a sceen for birthday. No instructions came with it. I see where the two holes line up on the side panels but don't have a clue about how to install under the back cover. Heard one gent (Stan, i think) ruin a motor installing incorrectly. Are there visable slots under the cover where the rear tabs go? I'd look my self but car is still in storage for couple more weeks. Any detailed info on this install is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rob
Bookedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
Bookedup

Any assistance Gents (or ladies). i also have another question; can the ragg top be put up and down with the wind screen in place?

Thax again,

Rob
Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #31
RGO325CiC

My Ride: '01 325Ci 'Vert
With the top down, hit the button to raise the rear cover a couple of inches. It isn't readily apparent, but there are two recesses behind the seats for the two rounded tabs on the windscreen, under the cover, which help keep the screen set (and prevent someone from making off with it). Set the end-pins on the windscreen into the holes on the side panels, and the two tabs should drop into the recesses. Once you do that, press the top down button to close the rear cover.

Hope this helps. I use mine pretty much constantly.

Bob

- Steel Grey Met; Sport, Power; Tanin Red leather; Myrtle trim; M steering wheel, side skirts; 330 trim; VDO gauges; LeatherZ tanin red shifter/brake boots; UUC shifter; ACS pedals, footrest, strut brace, deck spoiler; BSW Stage I, sub, iPod integration; DICE Bluetooth; V-1 with remote;Turner Injector; Sachs Sport shocks; Eibach Pro-Kit springs and sways; Stewart pump; clear lenses, usw.
RGO325CiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #32
Bookedup

Thanks RGO, I'll give that a shot. We've had a couple nice days, i may just get the vert out early. One more question, with the screen in place, is it possible to raise and/or lower the top without taking out the screen. In other words, if your just locally out and about and don't want to leave your top down while running some errands csn you raise the top with screen in place and just put the top down again when you return?

Many thanks,

Rob
Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #33
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
i wouldn't have a convertible without one. it's perfect for days when it's cool, but you still want the top down. with the windows up you can roll topless down to 50 degrees with the heat and heated seats on.

Cheat Sheet:

GT1/ISIS/MoDiC = Factory authorized diagnostic system used by BMW dealerships across the world.

NCS Expert = BMW Factory R&D programming tool available on the internet (not intended for the public and not available to the dealership network)

OEM = Genuine BMW part only available from a franchised BMW dealership.

DME = Engine Management Computer
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #34
Bookedup

But can you put the top up and down with the screen in place??

Thanx.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #35
ptcarswell

My Ride: 04 porsche 911
windscreen

i have one - fit my '03 m3. i want 175.00 including shipping. I do NOT have a paypal account.

PM me and i'll give you my cell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windscreen.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	353868  
Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #36
Bookedup

Can anyone definitively answer if the rag top can safely be put up and down with the screen in place??

Thanks in advance,

Rob
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 PM   #37
burntass

My Ride: ///m3 vert, 05 MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookedup View Post
Can anyone definitively answer if the rag top can safely be put up and down with the screen in place??

Thanks in advance,

Rob
yes

2005 ///m3 cb/cinnamon vert: weekends
2005 Mini Cooper S/jet black hardtop: daily
1988 e30 325ix/gray hardtop: gone
2002 e46 tiag 325ci vert: gone
burntass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #38
Bookedup

Thank you Burnt! i appreciate the response.

Rob
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #39
mike1bigmac

My Ride: BMW 330ci
http://www.amazon.com/Windstop-E46-L...4988612&sr=8-2
Amazon.com has one under $400 new. I got it and it's really nice with the door windows up and the seat warmers going for my morning commute.
mike1bigmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #40
Phoebus

My Ride: 2003 330 CIC
Aftermarket wind deflector

I just got one from Windblox for $150 with a bag. With this one it straps onto the front head rests and is a piece of clear plastic.

You can have people in the rear seats with it and it works great. It just might not be for people who don't want to have something strapped to the front head rests.

For me though with my kids its great. Thumbs up
Phoebus is offline   Reply With Quote