E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
KINGAMR

My Ride: M3
Custom AC Schnitzer Type 3 Racing Build

Hi all, I wanted to put a thread together summarizing my long journey to build a set of AC Schnitzer Type 3 Racing. I originally picked up 3 wheels at a crazy low price and thought it would be easy finding a fourth wheel. That was probably my first mistake as it took me over a year to find anything for sale. My friend and I found 2 wheels being sold separate by 2 different sellers. I got excited and bought both without seeing any actual pictures of them.

It has been my goal for a while to build one of my favorite set of wheels into something different than stock. I contacted just about every big name in the wheel industry (in the US & Europe) to get this build going but nobody wanted to touch it. The big obstacles that everyone mentioned is AC Schnitzer used a proprietary mounting setup on those wheels and they couldn't get that on their barrels.

I was almost ready to give up until I stumbled upon a couple of pictures on Instagram of custom wheel builders. I reached out to Stefan from SD Wheels and Dominic from Dominant Engineering and asked some questions. I believe they work together on different projects to achieve unique end results. After seeing the custom products of Dominant Engineering, I started talking more details with Dominic. I figured out exactly what I wanted then sent him the faces to get started.

It took about 5 months or so before I got the finished products and it that was probably the longest 5 months of my life. While I was waiting I started looking for the optional spoke inserts from AC Schnitzer for the Type 3's. I somehow managed to find one of the European AC Schnitzer dealers with a set for my wheels. I believe this set might be one of the last sets as I was told.

The final specs of the wheels are:
Fronts: 19"x9.5" +14 (2.5" lip 7" barrel)
Rears: 19"x11" +11mm (3.5" lip 7.5" barrel)

Other Details of the build:
machined lips, barrels and backpads on the faces
Outer lips are finished in a brushed look
Inner lips are powder coated black
Faces powder coated the original color
Custom made CNC billet center caps finished in a machined look
Titanium hardware to keep it all together

Pictures:

Before

The Spoke Inserts

After

Pictures by Dominic from Dominant Engineering

Phone pictures when they finally showed up

Thanks for reading my long thread! Opinions, comments and questions are welcome.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
I like it
Old 03-15-2016, 01:33 AM   #3
gsxrat12

My Ride: e30
do you still have your old barrels????????

If you still have your old barrels can you please give me a call ...I will buy all of them please and thank you...850 585 7943. Nelson.
gsxrat12 is offline   Reply With Quote