E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
I'm hesitant about doing that out of fear of a mod giving me points for duplicate threads.
I'll post the link for you..after this thread is older as it can be helpful for a much cleaner install. Thanks for the info and part numbers. I'm going to order the parts monday. Do you know what the difference is in the two covers? Are they different applications for different ballasts or is one just a superceeded part number?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:36 AM   #22
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I'll post the link for you..after this thread is older as it can be helpful for a much cleaner install. Thanks for the info and part numbers. I'm going to order the parts monday. Do you know what the difference is in the two covers? Are they different applications for different ballasts or is one just a superceeded part number?
Thanks!

There are two different types of ballast covers because there are two different types of ballast. After 9/2001 BMW changed the ballast design a little bit. The later model has holes for two wires since they are both removable, while the earlier version has just one hole for the removable socket and the thicker non removable wire is just routed out the bottom of the cover.

Here is what the later model ballast cover looks like, notice two wires coming out of the top:

And here is mine with an earlier version (a 1/2001 build date car), notice only one wire coming out the top:

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
So Slow

My Ride: 330i
The wiring off of the headlight to the ballast is too short to reach up there, any one if there's anything I can do to get it mounted up there? Thanks in advance!
So Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Excellent thread, OP!

Has anyone had a good solution to doing this on a facelift where the wires going from the headlight housing to the ballast are too short and can't reach the area where the relocation bracket sits? I'm helping a friend with an install and just found out the facelift has a different type of ballast so we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Thanks for any info!

*Edit: Nevermind, OP. I guess I already told you that in March of 2009.

Last edited by TKC; 12-05-2012 at 01:40 AM.
TKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 AM   #25
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Excellent thread, OP!

Has anyone had a good solution to doing this on a facelift where the wires going from the headlight housing to the ballast are too short and can't reach the area where the relocation bracket sits? I'm helping a friend with an install and just found out the facelift has a different type of ballast so we're trying to figure out the best way to do this.

Thanks for any info!

*Edit: Nevermind, OP. I guess I already told you that in March of 2009.
lol, 3 years and 8 months later... We've been on this forum for that long?

Last edited by mkodama; 12-05-2012 at 02:07 AM.
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
UTL1098

My Ride: DINAN 135i, T4R LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
lol, 3 years and 8 months later... We've been on this forum for that long?
I feel old.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #27
goblinsplace

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Anyone know if I can fit a morimoto ballast in that cool OEM bracket?

Any idea if I can fit 2 ballasts in that OEM bracket cover? (Any suggesyed modding?)

Oh and can I fit that on a 330 with stock intake?
Is there one for the passenger side? And ideas for a good place to for 3 ballasts on each side?
(Fog and quad xenon.)

Were not old!!!!!

Last edited by goblinsplace; 12-21-2012 at 02:50 AM.
goblinsplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #28
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol i was reading this thread and i was like wtf they aren't all the same. then i realized that it was from 09.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #29
s14realm3

My Ride: 03 ZHP, 95 M3, 91 M3
ZHP xenon ballast move DIY needed

so i have a 2003 ZHP with Bi xenon, how do I relocate the ballast with the short amount of wires thats inside the light? and what about the big rectangular hold opening where the ballast use to cover up? IS there a cover I can get to cover it?
thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131117_154642.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	535223  
s14realm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
s14realm3

My Ride: 03 ZHP, 95 M3, 91 M3
bump on how to relocate bi xenon ballast?
s14realm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #31
goblinsplace

I have an answer to this but can't post now! Will chime in soon.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #32
goblinsplace

Ok, so what i did was cut out a piece of plastic from a plastic plate i had laying around. (dremel) then i used red silicone high temp caulk to seal the hole to the plastic plate i made. I put the plate on the inside and pressed it down i think. use a ventilated area as that silicone caused a skin reaction for me. It held very permanently.

For the ballast relocation, why are you relocating? I used moromito balasts and that gave me enough wire to velcro mount to the frame just below the light or to the inside fender, again with velcro.
I put pics of the 2nd placement locations, I have a quad xenon setup, so the other 2 are on the frame beam just below the light. I recommend mounting there.

What you could do is use 14 guage wire, and extend the ballasts to your needs, and twist them and pull them through a black techflex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	536344   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	536345  

Last edited by goblinsplace; 11-26-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
OK, this is bordering on ricey. Good effort, though.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #34
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
The cool way to relocate your xenon ballast if you have a tube-style cold air i

Your engine is dusty as fuc!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #35
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
OK, this is bordering on ricey. Good effort, though.
how so? he's using oem parts and even all the M3s use this exact set-up. I had to do this on my coupe when I supercharged it as the compressor and piping hit that ballast. all you do is extend the wires and install. The holes are already there for the ballast bracket from the factory.

Nothing ricey about clean & tidy and oem fit and finish
Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
how so? he's using oem parts and even all the M3s use this exact set-up. I had to do this on my coupe when I supercharged it as the compressor and piping hit that ballast. all you do is extend the wires and install. The holes are already there for the ballast bracket from the factory.

Nothing ricey about clean & tidy and oem fit and finish
Indeed, in some cases it is required. I'm saying it's bordering on ricey when it is done mainly just so you can say your car has a "CSL mod".
Old 11-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #37
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
Indeed, in some cases it is required. I'm saying it's bordering on ricey when it is done mainly just so you can say your car has a "CSL mod".
Haha yeah now that would be.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 AM   #38
STREETFIGHTER50

My Ride: '04 Sil-Gry ZHP 6-Sp
Where's the cheapest place to order these parts online? I talked to AutohausAZ & OEMBimmerParts about ordering these parts. They don't stock these items.
STREETFIGHTER50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #39
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by STREETFIGHTER50 View Post
Where's the cheapest place to order these parts online? I talked to AutohausAZ & OEMBimmerParts about ordering these parts. They don't stock these items.
any discounted dealer, Tischer BMW comes to mind at getbmwparts.com
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #40
STREETFIGHTER50

My Ride: '04 Sil-Gry ZHP 6-Sp
Just an update/FYI about this mod. Not all our if OEM ballasts are the same. On cars with factory "ZKW" headlights the black plastic cover & screws listed here will not work. I was able to use just the bracket on my 2004 ZHP. I may order the earlier single hole cover to try to make it work somehow.
STREETFIGHTER50 is offline   Reply With Quote