E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
Bill Strong

My Ride: 335D & 330Xi
Exclamation 2004 330Xi just quit, grinding noise from the transmission

2004 330Xi, 89,000 miles.

Thursday BMW of Charlottesville, VA replaced the front left outer CV Boot and the rear tail light harnesses replaced so I could pass the yearly inspection. $834 (after my 10% CCA Discount).

Tonight I get a call from my wife who took herself, the mother in-law and my daughter shopping. She was backing out of the parking space and the car just started making a whirring noise and just stopped.

So I head out there with the Dakota and the trailer. I have AAA. But I am about 75 miles from the BMW dealer in Charlottesville. So it really is not worth it. Cheaper and easier to just load it on the trailer and take it myself.

then it start raining.

Sure enough, no gear works. Sport mode does nothing. it makes a grinding noise in reverse, and a whiring noise in D. It is a Tiptronic AWD setup. It kinda sounds like the front differential. No CEL on the dash. Nothing to tell you something is wrong.

I have an extended warranty. I am betting though it wont cover anything.

any ideas?
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
and a bunch of Toyota race cars
Bill Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
You've got an extended warranty, you should be fine. Just argue argue argue complain complain complain. Have you ever changed the diff fluid?
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Acarder

And stop going to the dealer if you've gotta pay money. They're probably rolling around in the odd 500 bucks they just made off you.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Bill Strong

ya I know. I specialize is mid-80s-90s Toyota MR2s. I have every tool known to man for Toyotas and can take one apart and put it back together and have it actually work.
But the BMW is my daily driver, so it is faster and easier to have someone else do it.

No, I have not replaced the diff fluid. I purchased the car in December from Charlottesville BMW. I was told it was looked over when it was traded in. Of course the oil was as thick as molasses, and the radiator was dry. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 Euro formula 0w-30. And topped up the rad. Soon after the thermostat went out and they replaced that, and topped up the coolant.

I felt much better with Charlottesville BMW when they sold Porsche's there. The mechanics were better dressed and acted more professional, and were more personable. The two service managers they have now are not even like that, sometimes they are nice, but other times they are just very cold. 7-series owners seem to get a bit better customer service from those two, or when you are handing over the debit card. But I really don't have a choice on where I can take the car.
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
dirtbike59

My Ride: 04 330ci
check and see if the front axel they serviced poped out. when i do the cv boots on those i take the whole axel out and doo it on the bench. much eaiser. sometime the clips the hold it into the dif is weak and the tech probly didnt replace it with the new one that comes in the cv boot kit.
dirtbike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Acarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Strong View Post
ya I know. I specialize is mid-80s-90s Toyota MR2s. I have every tool known to man for Toyotas and can take one apart and put it back together and have it actually work.
But the BMW is my daily driver, so it is faster and easier to have someone else do it.

No, I have not replaced the diff fluid. I purchased the car in December from Charlottesville BMW. I was told it was looked over when it was traded in. Of course the oil was as thick as molasses, and the radiator was dry. I changed the oil with Mobil 1 Euro formula 0w-30. And topped up the rad. Soon after the thermostat went out and they replaced that, and topped up the coolant.

I felt much better with Charlottesville BMW when they sold Porsche's there. The mechanics were better dressed and acted more professional, and were more personable. The two service managers they have now are not even like that, sometimes they are nice, but other times they are just very cold. 7-series owners seem to get a bit better customer service from those two, or when you are handing over the debit card. But I really don't have a choice on where I can take the car.
I mean that an independent shop that would have done an equal or better job than the dealership would have charged you about 400 max for that.. The dealership overcharges in labour by about 200%, and parts sometimes from 300-500%.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Bill Strong

any ideas about that tranny?
I'll get under the car tomorrow. it is up on my trailer so that will be easy to do.
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Bill Strong

well here it is, waiting to go to the stealership tomorrow.

Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbike59 View Post
check and see if the front axel they serviced poped out. when i do the cv boots on those i take the whole axel out and doo it on the bench. much eaiser. sometime the clips the hold it into the dif is weak and the tech probly didnt replace it with the new one that comes in the cv boot kit.
+ 11ty-million. Sounds like what happened to me. Search my previous threads if you are so inclined....

They should fix it for free, if it turns out to be the case.
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Quote:
well here it is, waiting to go to the stealership tomorrow.

I hope this doesn't sound dumb, but how'd you get it on the trailer with no trans?
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Bill Strong

yep!
I can take the axle and move it all around... it popped out.

Thanks guys!!
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-29-2009, 07:41 PM   #12
Bill Strong

I have hand operated wench
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Bill Strong

hey bombguy... AMMO?
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #14
dwebb99

My Ride: 330ci
Bill, do not buy into lifetime fluids on BMW's. (Glad you found your axle problem) Change out those tranny fluids and diff fluids, and keep a VERY close eye on the plastic BMW cooling systems. Plenty of info on this forum on all these things. And you really should do as much work on your BMW yourself. They are not that difficult to work on and you will be saving mucho money over stealership fee's plus the crap service you get.
dwebb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
bombguy

Quote:
yep!
I can take the axle and move it all around... it popped out.

Thanks guys!!
Make sure you go back and give the dealership hell....they will fix it for free regardless!!!!

Quote:
hey bombguy... AMMO?
Absolutely NOT!!!! Former EOD.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #16
Bill Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombguy View Post
Absolutely NOT!!!! Former EOD.

Funny, I am former 316 then 461...

Ya, I normally do all that stuff... I did on my e36. I just purchased this car, so still learning on what to do... Fluids and water pump are next, have all the belts, water pump will be the all metal one from EMP/Stewart, Summit has it for a great price.

I work for UVA, and right now I have zero time due to getting websites ready for the incoming freshman... if this had happened during any other time things would be different.

dwebb99, nice to see you again man!
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
bombguy

Quote:
Funny, I am former 316 then 461...
I'm assuming that is Army MOS codes? I was AF, we did our MOS codes quite differently.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #18
Bill Strong

nope USAF, 1981-1987, RAF Lakenheath/Luke AFB/RAF Bentwaters
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
Bill Strong

BMW Charlottesville fixed the car. Looks like the CV grease was keeping the clip from seating into ring grove.
They did give me a $240 credit for future service. Though this was the second time in a row that they gave me my car back all dirty. They usually wash it for us when they service it.
The mechanic was very apologetic. **** happens. Luckily the wife was only in a parking lot and not a twisty turny road.
It was funny too, One of the mechanics recognized me due to the club I run and some of the cars I have built.

My wife is still not happy with that dealership. I am just now hearing her complain about this. When our thermostat went dead in February, and the dash lit up I told her to take it to the dealership and have them "plug it in". I had no clue it was going to cost me $140 for the guy to plug in the OBDII reader (DIS?), my past experience with GM and Chrysler did those for free, sorta like customer service. The worst part she says was the 5 minutes she had to wait before any of the four people at their desk acknowledged that she was there, and then the service guy never even looked up from his computer when he asked for her key.
Though I also noticed that a 7-series owner the other day was treated totally different that I was. Does how much you pay for the car really matter?
I was much more impressed with that dealership when they sold Porsches as well as BMWs. To me that made ownership of a BMW that much better when you got treated with respect both at the time of sale, and during after sales / service. that is what made me want to buy another BMW.

rant over.
I have my car back and I am happy.
Piney River, Virginia
2009 BMW 335D
2004 BMW 330Xi
2001 MR2 Spyder
Old 03-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #20
bombguy

Quote:
nope USAF, 1981-1987, RAF Lakenheath/Luke AFB/RAF Bentwaters
Ah, Ok!! Old guy!!! I was in from 1997-2007. The AFSC's all changed to a different type of coding. I spent all my time at Hill AFB....all 9 years after EOD school!

Congrats on the car! Glad they got it fixed for you. When my did the exact same thing, I was traveling down the freeway at 75mph and the tranny just shut down. It went into a safety mode...exact same thing as yours did, wouldn't move in drive and "whirred" the gear in reverse. It took mine a while to work it's way out though...in the end, I ended up needing a new CV axle.

Tags
330xi, grinding, tiptronic, transmission