E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #101
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
Having gun ownership will only protect innocent people who want to have guns for their own self protection, bad guys will ALWAYS have guns no matter if its banned or not
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM   #102
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Keeping reading... Look into that a little more than the sticker on their car or a slogan on their website.
Protect and Serve...who?

Think about this statement... I agree with it, but not in the way you think you stating it.

The country would be a MUCH different story if this was true....
There might be more than 'protect and serve', but that's the essential idea. That's why they have it everywhere, it's the summarized version of their duty.

And exactly, so why not try to make it true? Do you have a problem with the statement "With zero guns, we'd all be better off."? So, why not strive for it as a 10 year safety plan or something? I don't want my kids to grow up in a society where everyone on the street has guns, and that is the way it was going.

The rest of the world thinks we're crazy, and I think they have some pretty legit reasons. Have you ever traveled outside of the U.S. and talked to people about what it's like here?

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #103
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
Having gun ownership will only protect innocent people who want to have guns for their own self protection, bad guys will ALWAYS have guns no matter if its banned or not
So simple to understand yet people cannot grasp this concept.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #104
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Some of the smartest people I know barely have a high school degree and some of the dumbest have PHDs...
QFT.

Bill Gates dropped of high school, and is not only brilliant, but has managed to do quite well for himself. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a friend who's a physician, and couldn't figure out how to connect two VCRs together to copy a tape.

There is no reasoning with anti-gun types. They can't seem to grasp that a gun is nothing more than an object, and only dangerous in the wrong hands. The same can be said for knives, baseball bats, and my hockey equipment.
Adamo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:12 PM   #105
TheRusski

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Its just people gotta get out of that SQUARE BOX and look at this world with real life. I mean if theres a way to destroy all the guns in the world thn yea, but thats never gonna happen, Bad guys WILL ALWAYS have guns....no matter what, its sooo simple but stupid people dont understand that
Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #106
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
Everyone grasps that concept, that is common sense and obvious to anyone who has a big pink thing in the middle of their head. What people don't grasp is the long term consequences and problems that your mentality will create, please try to understand that this is what the majority of people are arguing.

You keep implying that people who disagree with you are stupid, which is something that I still do all the time and trust me, it doesn't get you anywhere. Try to see where the other side is coming from, that way you will better understand it and will either change your mind or find faults and reinforce your own beliefs.

Rejecting everything gets everybody nowhere.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 03-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #107
hi its me alec

Quote:
Not more... actually less.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled numerous times since 1856 that law enforcement officers have no duty to protect any individual, despite the motto "protect and serve." Their duty is to enforce the law in general. The first such case was in 1856 (South v. Maryland) and the most recent in 2005 (Town of Castle Rock v. Gonzales)
Why didn't you say that at first!! lol, now it makes sense what you were saying, I thought you went nuts for a second.

Either way it doesn't matter, my police comment was an aside from the topic at hand. If there were no guns, police wouldn't be put in the position to have to risk their lives to protect people in order to enforce the law. How many police officers per year are killed by guns?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #108
Adamo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Do you have a problem with the statement "With zero guns, we'd all be better off."? So, why not strive for it as a 10 year safety plan or something? I don't want my kids to grow up in a society where everyone on the street has guns, and that is the way it was going.
If there were no guns, do you think people would still not get murdered? Replace 'guns' with knives, bats, hell - sticks and stones. If someone is intent on causing grievous harm to you or your family, they don't need a gun to do.

You can cower in fear, and wait for the police to show up. Me, I'm protecting me and mine.

Consider this: In Switzerland, everybody(!) has a gun - gov't issued. Some of the lowest crime in the world, and nobody messes with them.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #109
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
If there were no guns, do you think people would still not get murdered? Replace 'guns' with knives, bats, hell - sticks and stones. If someone is intent on causing grievous harm to you or your family, they don't need a gun to do.

You can cower in fear, and wait for the police to show up. Me, I'm protecting me and mine.

Consider this: In Switzerland, everybody(!) has a gun - gov't issued. Some of the lowest crime in the world, and nobody messes with them.
Of course people would get murdered, but it's a lot harder to kill someone with sticks and stones than a gun. All you have to do is point and shoot from any reasonable distance and the person is dead. That logic makes no sense...

Guns are bad because they allow things to get out of hand VERY fast. In a gun fight, things can escalate from one person holding a gun up to everyone dead in a matter of seconds. Not the same story in a knife or sticks-n-stones fight...

By the way, if someone invades my home I'm not going to cower in fear and wait for the police to show up. Don't assume things just because I'm arguing points and giving examples.

That's cool about Switzerland, I didn't know that, but that's much different than here. It's a much smaller country that's surrounded by big ones and they have pretty much zero military.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 03-31-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #110
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
While our miltary is off fighting in other countries, I'm comfortable with the fact that we civilian are capable of defending ourselves.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #111
Adamo99

Quote:
Of course people would get murdered, but it's a lot harder to kill someone with sticks and stones than a gun. All you have to do is point and shoot from any reasonable distance and the person is dead. That logic makes no sense...

Guns are bad because they allow things to get out of hand VERY fast. In a gun fight, things can escalate from one person holding a gun up to everyone dead in a matter of seconds. Not the same story in a knife or sticks-n-stones fight...
A gun can also de-escalate a potentially violent situation very rapidly. People seem to back the f*ck down very quickly when presented with the business end of a barrel.

The only thing that banning guns does is make criminals bolder, knowing they're less likely to encounter resistance from their victims.

Am I saying that everyone should be carrying? Hell no! I've been a firearms instructor for ages, and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen. BUT, if only 2-3% of the population carried, the bad guys don't know who that 2-3% is. You'd probably think twice about mugging or raping that librarian if you thought she might pull out a pistol and put a big hole in your body somewhere. (ps: not suggesting you're a mugger or rapist).
Old 03-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #112
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:

By the way, if someone invades my home I'm not going to cower in fear and wait for the police to show up. Don't assume things just because I'm arguing points and giving examples.

That's cool about Switzerland, I didn't know that, but that's much different than here. It's a much smaller country that's surrounded by big ones and they have pretty much zero military.
Just curious, what is your plan if someone does break in your house? I always like to know what people have in mind.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #113
hi its me alec

Quote:
We think of police in different ways... You like to think of police for what you envision they should be or what you would like them to be:
Powerful overseeing superheros that live, breathe and work to protect you, your family and your property OVER ALL ELSE.

I see police for what they truly are: Public servants that work for and serve me (the public) to enforce the law and uphold the constitution and protect/respect MY RIGHTS above ALL ELSE.

Sadly, this is not the case... its kinda hard for police to uphold the constitution, my rights and the law, when they have a 2nd grade education on those topics combined with a misplaced interpretation on what their position's responsibility REALLY is intended.
Actually I agree with you on police, now that I know where you're going with it. I think it's unfair for police (as human beings) to be put in the positions they're in. Although it's part of the job description, the fact that they can easily die any day at work is a little sad.. the police in Europe don't really have to worry about getting a gun pulled on them by some out-of-control nutjob during a routine traffic stop.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #114
Adamo99

Quote:
That's cool about Switzerland ... It's a much smaller country that's surrounded by big ones and they have pretty much zero military.
Er, Switzerland (and most European nations) have mandatory military service for all adult males. You turn 18, you put in your 18 or 24 months like everyone else.

Don't kid yourself. They may appear to be a bunch of lederhosen wearing, watch and chocolate exporting sissies, but have a surprisingly capable, if small, military.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #115
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
So any pro-gun person have an idea of how to reduce gun crime?

Because it sounds to me the only idea put forth is to get more guns.

And insult people who have differing opinions. C'mon conservatives. If you think you're intelligent put forth a good suggestion.

And saying something like "your an idiot you will never take my guns" doesn't count. If not, just say you like the way things are now. It's real simple.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:36 PM   #116
hi its me alec

Quote:
A gun can also de-escalate a potentially violent situation very rapidly. People seem to back the f*ck down very quickly when presented with the business end of a barrel.

The only thing that banning guns does is make criminals bolder, knowing they're less likely to encounter resistance from their victims.

Am I saying that everyone should be carrying? Hell no! I've been a firearms instructor for ages, and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff I've seen. BUT, if only 2-3% of the population carried, the bad guys don't know who that 2-3% is. You'd probably think twice about mugging or raping that librarian if you thought she might pull out a pistol and put a big hole in your body somewhere. (ps: not suggesting you're a mugger or rapist).
This is true, but what if both people have escalated tempers and both are packing? Someone's going to die, and that's almost guaranteed.

Banning guns might make criminals bolder, but imagine the laws changed to make the penalties much harsher for unlawful gun possession. All these people are after is money, and if faced with 10 years in jail for just having a gun, I think that some would reconsider.

You're absolutely right in the last paragraph, I can't really argue that. The only thing I can say is just repetitive... with 0 guns, we'd all be better off, so that is what I think we should strive for in order to ensure a better future for this country.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #117
Adamo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
So any pro-gun person have an idea of how to reduce gun crime?
Yes, overhaul the bleeding-heart Liberal judicial system so that a) judges are elected and held accountable, and b) stop putting the rights of the criminals ahead of the those of victims.

Make the penalties for violent crimes committed with a firearm so severe, and ENFORCE them, so that they may act as a deterrent.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #118
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
Really? Ship jobs over seas is our problem now too? So the CEOs, who find cheaper labor without BS unions, and retirment, and all the other BS that it takes to have a person work for you, not to mention the increase in taxes to employ someone to pay taxes, to file taxes on your local and state and federal, to pay tax on all the goods he helped make, while paying taxes on his gas to drive his used car which paid taxes twice on, just to drive to the tax agency once a year, and pay tax on having someone do his taxes...

You are a fvcking idiot.

Deregulate the markets? Did you happen to pay attention in the past 3 years? I believe the deregulation of the markets was spearheaded by the Libs, and not stopped by the republicans.

You want to talk sh!t, and go toe to toe with someone... bring it on. You are an irresponsable, irrational, blind idoit, with absolutely no forethought or design behind the words you speak. Let me guess, Obama is your king... He'll fix everything....

Wanna blame Bush, and the republicans (Whom I might add, are not all in favor of Bush) fine. Talk about sticking ones head in the sand.

Open a newspaper. Read a book. Stop thinking with your Obama Rod.

Ban my guns. I double fvcking dare you. You may take mine... but not everyones. Then it will be on your head if I ever need it. Mark my words kubica... It will be on your head. See you in hell.
Spoken like a true uneducated gun-owning conservative. You have no idea what you are talking about. All republicans need to do is tell uneducated people like you that Democrats want to kill your babies and steal your guns and they have a voter for life.

George W was the worst thing for this country since WWII. I'm sorry FOX News didn't let you in on the secret.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #119
hi its me alec

Quote:
Er, Switzerland (and most European nations) have mandatory military service for all adult males. You turn 18, you put in your 18 or 24 months like everyone else.

Don't kid yourself. They may appear to be a bunch of lederhosen wearing, watch and chocolate exporting sissies, but have a surprisingly capable, if small, military.
Actually I did know that, I watch the Travel Channel a lot. If they got invaded by the EU or US for whatever reason, their military would get owned just because of its size.

The reason nobody f*cks with them is because they don't really do anything wrong to offend anyone... I also feel that the Swiss are much more responsible people (as a whole) than Americans are, which is why guns are working out well for them.

I personally don't think they're working out here at all.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM   #120
TheRusski

Quote:
This is true, but what if both people have escalated tempers and both are packing? Someone's going to die, and that's almost guaranteed.

Banning guns might make criminals bolder, but imagine the laws changed to make the penalties much harsher for unlawful gun possession. All these people are after is money, and if faced with 10 years in jail for just having a gun, I think that some would reconsider.

You're absolutely right in the last paragraph, I can't really argue that. The only thing I can say is just repetitive... with 0 guns, we'd all be better off, so that is what I think we should strive for in order to ensure a better future for this country.
Do you mean that " 0" guns for innocent people, or the bad guys?

We might have 0 guns, but criminals will always have guns